• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Rise and Evolution of Old Classic Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:21 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:

Also I dont think so. Crunchyroll has not helped. At all. Because you need an account to even see Pretty Cure. Kids who cant pay for an account will never be able to watch it. We are exactly where we started, only the subs are not fanmade anymore.

I hope you're aware you have to pay for dubs too and Crunchyroll is still cheaper than most other apps with every other apps severely raising their price to almost $20 while Crunchyroll is like $8 a month and when I was a kid anime was like $40 on VHS for two episodes. And if they really want free stuff people know how to find it. And I totally get it and I can't say I've never downloaded something before but I just did it and didn't make it out that I'm somehow on a righteous mission or something.

Please dont tell me you Have to pay extra for a dub!? It doesnt come for free in a normal Crunchyroll account? This is outrageous!

I really dont get why people do Crunchyroll then... and now I get why One Piece only truly took off once it got on Netflix. Say what you want about it, but once you have an account you can see the dub AND sub.

If I misunderstood I apologize.

EDIT: I think I did misunderstood entirely. But see, if you pay for a dub at least you get a dub. Subs can be found for free easily elsewhere.

EDIT 2: Oops the body of my post got messed up
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:06 am Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
I don't know how involved they were with Glitter Force. Seems like Saban made most of the choices, though Toei must have bene aware.

Glitter Force was all Saban Brands, they picked up the Pretty Cure license at the same time they got all of Digimon back (implying package deal given the timing) and it was worldwide rights so the deal screwed over Italy who was still dubbing the series for TV (they had up to Heartcatch at that point and the network confirmed they couldn't get Suite unless it was through Saban so they didn't).

The original plan for Smile's English dub was to call it Gangnam Girls (which they changed for I assume legal reasons) and to get it on Nick so that's why the show was cut to two 20-episode seasons because that was Nick's rule for Power Rangers when they aired it (not counting the two yearly Holiday recaps and the one TV movie that Samurai had).

When it didn't happen, they got it on Netflix as part of a deal with other Saban programming (Luna Petunia, Popples 2015, etc) and this was before Dokidoki's dub went into production hence why Dokidoki was cut down to two 15-episode seasons since it was done with Netflix in mind.

Quote:
And if popularity plays a factor, then I don't get why Toei bothered to re-dub Saint Seiya. It's a great thing, but Seya even less of a fandom in English speaking countries than in Europe and Latin America. Plus the dub itself was just dumped on Netflix before it was removed and then re-located to Crunchyroll. Regardless, Saint Seiya was a failure when it was first brought to the US, yet Toei keeps trying to promote the franchise via a CGI reboot and a theatrical release of that new live action movie.

As already mentioned, the redub was done as a tie-in with the CG reboot and also, Netflix was involved with it since, as confirmed by the show's translator, one of their people ordered the dub's director to change "Saints" to "Knights" halfway through to match the reboot.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I would argue Toei putting up all the backlog Precure shows on streaming and also making Precure available outside the US would also help to increase the show's popularity.

Pretty much, it's still weird to me that the original is still blocked in other Toei USA territories outside of the US & Canada even after they finally replaced the English-hardsubbed VHS streams with DVD-based ones with multiple sub options when Crunchyroll got streaming rights for Europe two years ago.

Then there's the shows which are only streaming on ADN in France like Max Heart, Splash Star & Maho Girls/Witchy. Kirakira streaming here was part of that deal since Crunchyroll was involved with both ADN and the main site streaming it in France so what happened with the rest?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote

EDIT: I think I did misunderstood entirely. But see, if you pay for a dub at least you get a dub. Subs can be found for free easily elsewhere.

Once again asking why some Precure fans think the show is only of value if it's spoken in English or why they think devaluing the original Japanese version is a winning argument for expanding the show's success.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
at least the series didn't get the animax asia treatment which is what happened to the original CCS as well as the gundam build fighters series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think what made 4Kids stand-out with their anime dubs was that they were making these dubs during a time when the internet was really beginning to take off during the mid 2000s. But they’re still part of our glorious shared history of anime in america! What a lot of fans misunderstand is that these guys were never really in the anime business per se, they were in the toy licensing business. Anime was a means to that end, which is why they were often so cavalier with it. It was done to sell toys.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I would argue Toei putting up all the backlog Precure shows on streaming and also making Precure available outside the US would also help to increase the show's popularity.

I don't know how much backlog Toei will agree to license, but yes I completely agree. I don't know why none of the simulcasts have ever reached Europe, but it needs to happen.

It's why I'm hopeful Power of Hope '23 will encourage Toei to license out Yes Pretty Cure Five and Gogo. I'm certain Crunchyroll will simulcast it, but hopefully they can get the prequel series too.

wrote: Also I dont think so. Crunchyroll has not helped. At all. Because you need an account to even see Pretty Cure. Kids who cant pay for an account will never be able to watch it. We are exactly where we started, only the subs are not fanmade anymore.

Having the series on Crunchyroll has done more wonder than just "word of mouth". Yes you have to pay for a subscription….why is that considered blasphemous? Especially since it's an excuse to have Toei and Crunchyroll promote the series.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Once again asking why some Precure fans think the show is only of value if it's spoken in English or why they think devaluing the original Japanese version is a winning argument for expanding the show's success.

We're not devaluing the OG versions at all. A subbed release of any season is a great step, as it helps gets Pretty Cure's foot in the door. It's just with dubs, they audience can be further expanded to those who can't read subs.

Plus practically every other anime franchise is getting some kind of dubbed content; even Doraemon and Anpanman have gotten dubbed movies. And Doremi had it's 20th anniversary dubbed and streaming in the UK (though that dub sucks).

NJ_ wrote:
The original plan for Smile's English dub was to call it Gangnam Girls (which they changed for I assume legal reasons) and to get it on Nick so that's why the show was cut to two 20-episode seasons because that was Nick's rule for Power Rangers when they aired it (not counting the two yearly Holiday recaps and the one TV movie that Samurai had).

When it didn't happen, they got it on Netflix as part of a deal with other Saban programming (Luna Petunia, Popples 2015, etc) and this was before Dokidoki's dub went into production hence why Dokidoki was cut down to two 15-episode seasons since it was done with Netflix in mind.

I've heard that story before, but I don't know if there's any solid prof that Nickelodeon was ever considered for GF. They're a strong candidate, but I haven't seen anything factual to back this up.

And the part about Doki Doki is confusing; I highly doubt the 30/49 episode trim was done because of Netflix and binge-watching. Another possible theory is that Saban sank most of their profits in their Power Rangers movie, which flopped. Plus Saban was reportedly not ding well financially in the 2010s, so that could be another factor.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I just told you I am not just fighting for an English dub.you are ignoring parts of my argument so your argument can look better. And I love subs too! I just dont think Crunchyroll putting a paywall behind subs helps at all (They DID help back when Crunchyroll was free with ads but not anymore). At least with a dub there could be an actual incentive to check Pretty Cure out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
IMO, every anime deserves a faithful English dub. An English dub's job should be to reflect the Japanese version as much as possible (allowing leeway for some culture and language differences). And it should be cast, directed, and acted well, too. Even the most obscure or safe-for-kids show deserve it. At a certain point, an unfaithful dub becomes a show onto itself, one different than the intended show, and that's an insult to the material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
IMO, every anime deserves a faithful English dub. An English dub's job should be to reflect the Japanese version as much as possible (allowing leeway for some culture and language differences). And it should be cast, directed, and acted well, too. Even the most obscure or safe-for-kids show deserve it. At a certain point, an unfaithful dub becomes a show onto itself, one different than the intended show, and that's an insult to the material.

Quoted for 'truth! People always say "Oh that show can get gutted for all I care!" but never stop and think that their favorite show could get treated that way.

mgree0032 wrote:
I think what made 4Kids stand-out with their anime dubs was that they were making these dubs during a time when the internet was really beginning to take off during the mid 2000s. But they’re still part of our glorious shared history of anime in america! What a lot of fans misunderstand is that these guys were never really in the anime business per se, they were in the toy licensing business. Anime was a means to that end, which is why they were often so cavalier with it. It was done to sell toys.

Hideous "GLORIOUS SHARED HISTORY OF ANIME IN AMERICA" (It is actually indeed a part of history but this wording is hideous, it takes pride in destroying art, rather than it just being a necessary evil at the time.) aside, this is a very true statement. 4kids was never actually an anime company. They wanted to sell toys first and foremost. This is the most true thing you've said so far, an actual statement.

It is sad that when 4kids finally got into their heads that faithful dubs sell more so it was in their best interests to treat anime right and make alliances with more faithful anime companies to air their shows on Toonzai the gosh darned lawsuit killed them.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Quoted for 'truth! People always say "Oh that show can get gutted for all I care!" but never stop and think that their favorite show could get treated that way.

mgree0032 wrote:

Hideous "GLORIOUS SHARED HISTORY OF ANIME IN AMERICA" (It is actually indeed a part of history but this wording is hideous, it takes pride in destroying art, rather than it just being a necessary evil at the time.) aside, this is a very true statement. 4kids was never actually an anime company. They wanted to sell toys first and foremost. This is the most true thing you've said so far, an actual statement.

It is sad that when 4kids finally got into their heads that faithful dubs sell more so it was in their best interests to treat anime right and make alliances with more faithful anime companies to air their shows on Toonzai the gosh darned lawsuit killed them.
Also, 4kids/NY got the best actors and singers in the world. Plus they’re Broadway superstars.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:14 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Also, 4kids/NY got the best actors and singers in the world. Plus they’re Broadway superstars.

Nothing against New York-based actors, as there are some very talented people working out of there, but there's a hefty Citation Needed here.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think some people just want an English dub so it feels like other popular anime. But I don't know how popular dubs are these days for shows that don't air on television, which seems to be only a handful of shounen that air on Adult Swim. I don't follow the dub scene much though. How much of anime in general gets an English dub these days and how do they compare to the original sub which tends to be simulcasted and probably gets a bigger attention from the seasonal crowd, in my guesstimate.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the funniest thing about Glitter Force's english dub is that Glitter/Cure Peace was voiced by the same VA as Rebecca from Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Alex Cazares.This was...I think 5 years before voicing her?
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Los Nido wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think some people just want an English dub so it feels like other popular anime. But I don't know how popular dubs are these days for shows that don't air on television, which seems to be only a handful of shounen that air on Adult Swim. I don't follow the dub scene much though. How much of anime in general gets an English dub these days and how do they compare to the original sub which tends to be simulcasted and probably gets a bigger attention from the seasonal crowd, in my guesstimate.

I dont want a dub just because I want Precure to feel like Attack On Titan or whatever, I want one because that's the best way to reach more people. It wont reach more people as it already is with subs, to reach a wider audience it needs a dub. And make no mistake, if tomorrow Anime Onegai or some other company said "You know what we are making a dub for Latin America" I would drop everything and leave english fans to lie in the bed they made for themselves by burying their heads in the sand. But since the market is very much a follow the leader and the leader is the USA I wont stop fighting for a dub until we get one.

Also TV has long stopped being the best way for exposure and dubs on Streaming Services are a major industry in their own right. If you dont follow the dub scene then this doesnt really concern you anyway.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:

Nothing against New York-based actors, as there are some very talented people working out of there, but there's a hefty Citation Needed here.
One of the actors for Shaman King is a Broadway actor who was in Wicked and Into the Woods but he's long been retired from anime dubbing and his last anime role was in Yugioh Zexal in 2015 and he didn't even return to voice his character in the Shaman King reboot. Most anime actors tend to have had some experience n theater and many move onto bigger projects like American cartoon TV shows and movies and video games cause it pays better than anime dubbing, so New York isn't unique in this regard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10