• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Air TV, Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. I only saw up to about episode 7 but I've been meaning to go back and rewatch and finish it. And the R1 release sounds like a good way to do it.

Thank you, ADV. Here's hoping to a Kanon 2006 license.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

All Proware titles are available with subs and most of them are SUB ONLY; only few of them targeted at young children (such as Detective Conan / Case Closed movies) are dubbed but also with flexible subtitles.

So... uhh... the Layla Hamilton OAV comes with Chinese subs... but not English subs?

(in any case... it should show up at yesasia or something, right?)
Jeiku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as how AIR is my favorite series, second to none, I was ecstatic when I heard this news last night, and by ADV no less. All the more reason for me to watch the English version, too. I don't even see the problem with trying to translate such a series, because if they were able to do a good job with Azumanga Daioh, to me they could handle this.

In fact, the only skepticism I have is whether AIR would even sell in U.S. shores or not, considering I find its sort to be an acquired taste, even among anime. It also has a very jumbled storyline, and people who get into it for the variety of cute girls may be disappointed. Plus, doesn't Key put unbelievably high prices on their licenses (which would partly explain why none of their works have ever made out outside if Japan)? If so, this is an incredibly high risk they are making. I love AIR quite a lot, and I am more than willing to buy their DVDs and even watch their English dub, but will it sell?

Time will tell, I guess. As for extras... I can't really see ADV putting a lot of them in besides clean OP/ED footage and production art. I would like to see the Blu-ray opening make it, but I don't think Blu-ray to DVD format would look as pretty. However, I will be expecting a reasonable array of bonus features on the AIR movie (which I didn't like as much but still will be getting, just because) -- anything that was included on any of the previous three DVD releases would do very well.

Last edited by Jeiku on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The current speculation (well... like 2 of us) is that...

ADV ditched the live-action Evangelion project and just used the money on something else...

Naw... can't be.

Though, given that the R1 Kodocha release is about to bite the dust, it'd be nice if someone picked up the second half for release or something.

(FUNimation should really just take one for the team though...)
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
While I like the ADV cast, I can definitely see where the ADV dub-haters are coming from. Quite a few of ADV's female VAs have very distinct voices. Hilary Haag and Cynthia Whatyoumacallit come to mind. I like them when their voices are more subdued, but in Chrono Crusade and Kaleido Star respectively, I couldn't stand them. They didn't have nearly half the emotion of the Japanese performance. But then Hilary Haag goes and does an amazing job with Ghost Stories and I am conflicted. Cynthia also did great with her role in Rahxephon.

That said, I adore pretty much everyone else in the ADV cast and think the dub for Air will be awesome. I place much of the blame of the badness of the CC and KS dubs on whichever director they had, since I know they can put out quality work otherwise.

Now, if only someone would announce a Planetarian anime already. That Kinetic Novel made me cry. Really cry. Cry-like-a-baby-and-I-had-to-wipe-my-tears-from-my-face-to-keep-reading cry. Damn it was awesome.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Now, if only someone would announce a Planetarian anime already. That Kinetic Novel made me cry. Really cry. Cry-like-a-baby-and-I-had-to-wipe-my-tears-from-my-face-to-keep-reading cry. Damn it was awesome.

If I were a betting man, I'd definitely bet that Kyoto Animation would announce Planetarian within another year or two.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
This news made my day entirly. Air is one of my favorite series, so I am pleasently pleased to know I will be able to hold onto R1 copies. I like ADV and trust them perfectly with there dub.

Wow ADV; first Sgt. Keroro, now Air. They are really doing well this year so far.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, for those of you who are wondering whether or not there will be an english dub. At the Air Gear panel today, one of the panelists who is an ADR director spoke up and said he was going to direct Air. I can't, for the life of me, remember who spoke up though. Embarassed

Suffice to say; there will be an english dub. Very Happy
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
It was Kyle Jones, wasn't it?
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
It was Kyle Jones, wasn't it?

You know, now that you mention it. I think so. About 80% sure of that. It was such a quick comment in the middle of several other comments by several other panelists.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Wow, really pouring on the sugar there, eh Cloe? Wink

Not at all. Tony has known for years now how much I adore him. As do all my other ANN buddies I chat with via pm/AIM/email, etc.

10円 wrote:
But the real question I have is, why don't you drink? Nearly everyone I know drinks something.

And that's kind of dumb, I think. I can't stand the taste of alcohol, so I see no reason to force myself to drink it, even if it's expected of me in social outings. I never really understood people who say things like "I've spent years looking for the right alcoholic beverage and even though I don't like the taste of any of them, [insert beer/wine/mixed drink name here] is the least revolting so I always drink those." The very same friends who say things like that shoot me strange looks when we all go out and I order a soda instead of beer or whatever (I stuck out like a sore thumb when I lived in Ireland). But then again, I'm not the one trying hold back a sour face after each sip of my drink just because everyone else is doing it.

Wow, sorry for going so far off topic. I'll just shift the blame for this one onto 10円. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
If it makes you feel any better, I don't drink either...

No, seriously, it's totally ghey.

Like, when I was a kid, my uncle tricked me into drinking a Budweiser...

Haven't touched the stuff ever since.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, but I love soda... in fact, I think people tell me it's worse than alcohol or something...

Anyway, if Monster isn't announced this summer...

I assume it means that we're screwed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10