• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (all seasons, OAVs, movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
As far as art and animation, I may be in a minority here, but I prefer the 1995 movie over the series. I like the character designs better and the overall tone is darker and grittier. It felt more like cyberpunk whereas the series seemed brighter and cartoony if you will.

I agree. I would specifically like to point out the opening scene of the 1995 movie when compared to the identical scenes in SAC, SAC:2nd GiG and SSS. In the movie, we get a beautiful bend where the Major slowly slides into obscurity. In Stand Alone Complex, it just has a short transition phase.

In fact, I think the Intro to 2nd GiG has the right colour scheme. Grey and black, bleak colours with blue hues. Then again, the colourful palette in SAC does give an element of realism that a monotonous colourscheme can't give. Even Oshii's film used an extended colour palette, but he relied more on a bleak extended palette than the sharp, bright colours that SAC uses.
Quote:
It was interesting how SAC and 2nd GIG made reference to the movie a couple times
You should get the original graphic novel. It stops being "a couple" and enters "lots." Also, look for references to the following: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, the Matrix[1], Full Metal Jacket, Leon: The Professional... There are many.

[1]: The Wachovski Brother took a lot of scenes from the 1995 movie. In GitS:SAC:2nd GiG, Oshii repays the favour.
zhir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
LatwPIAT wrote:

[1]: The Wachovski Brother took a lot of scenes from the 1995 movie. In GitS:SAC:2nd GiG, Oshii repays the favour.

Oshii didn't direct SAC. Kenji Kamiyama did.
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:

Oshii didn't direct SAC. Kenji Kamiyama did.

Yes, I know that. I also know Oshii helped write the second season, so I'm pretty sure he was behind the friendly "take that!'s" against the Wachovski Brothers.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
FInally, it seemed a little odd that no one else in Japan except the Tachikomas noticed the spoiler[nuclear sub at their doorstep]. It was a little angry too that they repeated the first series by having the Tachikomas spoiler[sacrifice themselves to prove that they have ghosts. You already did this and you're saying the same exact thing in the same exact way again.] Ack, I know I said finally, but I must also mention the cheesiness of spoiler[Motoko and Kuze "reuniting". Episode 37 where Motoko visits the external memories shop ranks as one of my favorites, but I would have been much happier if they had left the truth implied and open ended. It was already pretty obvious when Motoko said, "I know him" after diving Kuze's brain.]. Ah, even though I say all that, I still loved both seasons. I just felt that SAC was stronger than 2nd GIG for these reasons.

As far as art and animation, I may be in a minority here, but I prefer the 1995 movie over the series. I like the character designs better and the overall tone is darker and grittier. It felt more like cyberpunk whereas the series seemed brighter and cartoony if you will. The mechanical designs in the series, however, were great. Watching the tachikoma and other various tanks and aircraft move was very enjoyable. It was interesting how SAC and 2nd GIG made reference to the movie a couple times, such as when Motoko is fighting the armoured suit and spoiler[gets picked up by her head] and in 2nd GIG when she spoiler[jumps out of the window of the Chinese embassy].

On the Tachikomas spoiler[It isn't that they did it to prove they had ghosts, it is just something dramatic that they could do to cap off the series.

As for why they keep having them sacrifice themselves at the end of the series? Maybe they just wanted to scrap them so that if there was another series down the line, they could easily explain upgrading the look or they like the idea of the Tachikomas having the biggest bang and acts of heroism they possibly can.]

On the 'relationship' angle. spoiler[They had to have that episode so that people could know what the heck the Major's connection to Kuze was. If it was just hinted at, then people would be complaining on why she trusted him so much at the end when they were trapped together or would want to see what their past was. The flashback also went on to show how serious and dedicated Kuze was as an individual even from an early age.]

As for the art, I think of it as coming from a different time frame. SAC came out long after the original and with the advancements and popularization of technology, I think the clean and glammed up cyber world of SAC with only pocket area with gritty living and squalor that is very true idea of how things could advance from current modern society today.

Overall, I never saw the complete movie before I saw all of the first season of SAC and I can't lie, I prefer both seasons of the show to the original movie, which probably because of watching the series, I felt the movie's plot felt rushed to completion.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching GitS SAC and 2nd Gig as well as SSS... here are my thoughts...

I really enjoyed all of the series and loved a lot about it. I felt that some SAC episodes dragged a little and the improvement in animation between SAC and 2nd Gig impressed me. Anywhere here are various comments:

spoiler[ I enjoyed the "Laughing Man" as an enemy more if only because it was ambiguous throughout the whole season whether what he was doing was right or wrong. I felt the character himself was more fun too because he was someone you could root for, as opposed to Gouda who's CIS I thought was dubious at best... how could someone give them so much power with no questions asked? Even Section 9 is questioned all the time, was no one ever questioning the CIS and it's motives? They just took all this "inside information" that was fabricated by the CIS without question and then when numerous agencies were getting fed incorrect data nobody thought to investigate the agency providing it? Despite this, I still feel I enjoyed 2nd Gig more because there was always a bit of the overarching story in each episode whereas SAC dragged a little in places.]

spoiler[ Onto SSS... I really enjoyed this too. I wonder if anyone noticed the Major walking past the eventual Puppeteer at the start of the movie, at about 23:15? She was going up the elevator to where all her puppets were kept, and she kind of glances at the person as she walks around him. As I saw this I immediately thought to myself "That's the bad guy"... but to be fair, I didn't believe it would actually end up being him, I just thought, why would they show that if it didn't have a point later on in the movie?]

spoiler[ A couple of other things I noticed... at about 14:43 you can see the Major in her camouflage in the background, listening to Section 9 as they are around the guy who was under House Arrest's dead body. She's actually there a little bit before that too, I had to rewind to recheck it and I was like "I knew it!" and then I noticed her at the 14:43 mark too, through the green camera lens.]

spoiler[ Finally to those wondering who the eventual puppeteer was, it was the major herself. As the different faces are appearing by it transforms into Kuze, and then the major and the puppeteer comments: "We've synchronized with countless consciousnesses over the years. It shouldn't come as a huge surprise that your deep collective subconscious came to life." which I thought was a pretty cool conclusion. She's swapping bodies around so much that eventually a part of her ghost, an alternate her, was retained and started existing on its own (just my interpretation). You can see this at around the 01:36:10 mark.]

Just my thoughts, let me know what you think Smile I'm new here so go easy on me!

EDIT: Decided to add a quick question...

LatwPIAT wrote:
Yes, I know that. I also know Oshii helped write the second season, so I'm pretty sure he was behind the friendly "take that!'s" against the Wachovski Brothers.

What part exactly are you talking about?
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
EvanUnisil wrote:

EDIT: Decided to add a quick question...

LatwPIAT wrote:

What part exactly are you talking about?

And by chance I just happen to visit these forums today...

In Episode 4: "NATURAL ENEMY" of the 2nd GiG, the Major grabs hold of a Tachikoma's wire to hold a Jigabachi back, sliding along the roof of a building, towards the edge. In The Matrix Mr. Anderson grabs hold of a cable from a helicopter, sliding along the roof of a building, towards the edge. Even the colour of the roof is similar in those two scenes.
Zeitgeist EX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SPOILERS

Currently on Vol.4 of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig.

spoiler[Since that character Kuze, knowing that he's a mass murderer from his katana decapitation move and a part of Individual 11, I feel like he reminds me of Taiwanese-Japanese actor Takeshi Kaneshiro since their face looks the same. Did the anime creators modeled Kuze off of him?] Question

I'm sorry to say this, but I believe this forum is now useless and a load of crap. For all I know, Anime News Network's forum is closed. Long live animed legends, I'm outtie! Gotta drag my ass out of a closed forum. Wink
hakojo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
EvanUnisil wrote:

spoiler[ A couple of other things I noticed... at about 14:43 you can see the Major in her camouflage in the background, listening to Section 9 as they are around the guy who was under House Arrest's dead body. She's actually there a little bit before that too, I had to rewind to recheck it and I was like "I knew it!" and then I noticed her at the 14:43 mark too, through the green camera lens.]

I happened to see this while I was looking for something that was in this thread, and popped in my SSS DVD to see for myself - it's not actually spoiler[the Major, it's just one of the random underlings that Section 9 picked up in the two year interim.]

Here's the frame at 14:43. However, if you backtrack a minute or so to the scene without the green over it, that same guy is right there with Proto and Azuma. I can see how one would make that mistake, though - spoiler[the grainy quality of the filter makes the helmet and the visor look a bit like her hair and her sunglasses, especially if you didn't notice a guy standing there in the first shot, and it does seem like something they'd slip in to see if we were paying attention.] The clincher, however, is the distinctive lack of breasts Razz
p3rseus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Funny this thread should jump back up, I was just thinking of this anime. Something that escaped me and has been probably discussed. In Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig, the major is a complete cyborg. The difference dawned on me when I was watching the first movie and the major was doubting her humanity so Bato tells her she has a human brain inside her shell. spoiler[That is not the case in 2nd Gig, her brain was blown out. The major was killed. The major in 2nd Gig would be more of a copy of the original but there is no brain anymore. It begs the question, is it our memory that drives us or our genetics? so like in the second movie I suppose, it's not longer the major but another being altogether with the major memories...].
hakojo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
p3rseus wrote:
In Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig, the major is a complete cyborg. The difference dawned on me when I was watching the first movie and the major was doubting her humanity so Bato tells her she has a human brain inside her shell. spoiler[That is not the case in 2nd Gig, her brain was blown out. The major was killed. The major in 2nd Gig would be more of a copy of the original but there is no brain anymore. ]

She still has an organic brain up through 2nd GIG - spoiler[the 'Major' that got its head blown off at the end of the first season was just a remote body that she was using, either because she anticipated the sniper attack (ahh, paranoia!) or because she knew that Batou would never get himself somewhere safe and out of the country unless she was with him (she probably intended to just abandon the body at some later point). But her braincase, complete with the bits of grey matter and spinal column that they took out of her real body when she was first cyberized, was safe and sound the whole time in an undisclosed location somewhere.]

The term 'complete cyborg' as it exists in the GitS universe designates people whose bodies are entirely inorganic, save for the brain. If someone were to have an artificial brain as well, they'd be an android.
sakurafice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
just finised SAC yesterday ^^
should i watch the laughing man movie before moving on to second gig?

and yeah, hakojo's explanation was spot on
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
sakurafice wrote:

The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven OAVs are just recaps of the episodes containing that particular story arc, condensed down into a movie. There's almost no new animation or information given in them - they were really more of a cash-in than anything else, IMO. You'll be fine if you just jump right to 2nd GIG.

I'm fast becoming the question-and-answer lady for this thread Razz
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I really couldn't get into Second Gig's story as much as the first... I cant identify why. I just- didn't like it as much... I enjoyed the episode with Motoko in that little mystery shop, where spoiler[ we find out about her past when she first got her prosthetic body] and near the end it started to pick up a bit, but in between, meeeh. I also felt that Proto was terribly underused. With what happens later on, I think they really could have given him a bigger side role.
sakurafice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven OAVs are just recaps of the episodes containing that particular story arc, condensed down into a movie. There's almost no new animation or information given in them - they were really more of a cash-in than anything else, IMO. You'll be fine if you just jump right to 2nd GIG.

thanks ^^
and lol, you seem well suited for such a title Anime hyper
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
sakurafice wrote:

Another thing about the OAVs, if you didn't already know, the English dub cast is different (which means not as good). No Richard Epcar as Batou kind of ruins it for me, the Major's voice isn't too bad though I greatly prefer Mary Elizabeth McGlynn...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10