• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Newest Is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Like when people talk about how Gurren Lagann is the most awesome robot ever because it "COMBINED WITH THE F***ING MOON!" and got really big, they probably don't realize that the Getter Robo manga (the very first giant transforming/combining robot series) had a robot combine with Mars, grow to the size of a galaxy, and punch out God. "Spiral power" is practically identical to the concept of Getter rays, the zoom out in the opening scene is from Captain Harlock (this is the most widely recognized example outside of Japan), one of the space battles is taken pretty much directly from Gunbuster (the one Gunbuster stole from Ideon, but Gurren Lagann seemed to be copying the Gunbuster version-- with added references to drills in the dialogue, of course) as was Gurren Lagann's "trademark" pose. The television ending up to the galaxy-throwing fight is largely copied from Zambot 3, as was Gurren Lagann's moon insignia. I have more examples but hopefully they aren't necessary.

Gurren-Lagann it's clearly a contextual work, but the content itself exploits this contextuality to make a point. Gurren-Lagann is a story about moving forward by using the past as a medium to create the future. Kazuki Nakajima is using old-school tropes to tell an all-new story about a group of people using the technology left by those that came before in order to reach a tomorrow all of their own. Don't you see what he is trying to do? He used the concept behind Getter Rays or Yoshinari used Zambot's design in the same way Simon used Lord Genome's Cathedral Terra and made it his own. Of course, the most blatant example of TTGL's metafictional content is Kamina STEALING Gurren and creating his own Gurren-Lagann by combining it with Lagann, a plot-point that could easily symbolize taking an idea that wasn't yours in order to tell your own individual story, which is exactly what they're supposed to do with TTGL itself.

When I said "please tell me you're not serious" I was making fun of your praise of Gunbuster, though.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
The title is relevant to my interests.

i have no idea about the series, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10