• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Witch Academia's Tokyo Event Cancelled Due to Low Ticket Sales

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Something becomes popular when enough people like it

It's almost like people can have bad taste!

Correction: people can have different taste

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
@RyanSaotome Why don't you like Akira? Can't understand the plot? Is the 160,000 animation cels( too good for you? Don't like proper lip syncing and facial expressions in anime? Voice acting too good? Music too good for you?

You can appreciate AKIRA for the technical achievements, but I can see why people dislike it for the messed up conclusion and cobbled together story in places. It's an anime spectacle, but not flawless.

Ironically, it's not unlike how I read why some Japanese fans did not pay attention to LWA and the rest of the Anime Mirai shorts (i.e. tech demo). But back to Akira. It was an awesome spectacle, but a confused bungled mess; an entire gigantic epic manga series squeezed into one movie.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Just because RyanSaotome is acknowledging that Japanese fans in general have a different taste in anime than American ones isn't an assertion that Japanese fans have superior taste to American ones, it's simply a statement of fact. Ryan may find (as I do) that his tastes have more in common with the general taste of Japanese otaku as opposed to American ones, but I've yet to see him claim his preferences are somehow superior.

My issue isn't Ryan's taste, it's his tendency to make sweeping assertions about the Japanese market using his own taste as a guideline, rather than looking at available facts.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@VORTIA Stop using the "popularity" shtick. Nobody ever uses that to review a film.

VORTIA wrote:

I understand that moe isn't for everyone, and I can understand the disappointment at not recieving more of what you'd like to,

RyanSaotome wrote:

You like your darker action shows, and thats fine. I like my moe, harem and battle shonen shows.

Neither I nor RyanSaotome asserted an anime sucked, nor did we indicate we were offering a "review". Ryan stated that Little Witch Academia recieved a rather muted reaction from Japanese fans, a statement I supported. Neither of us asserted that the popularity or lack thereof was a valid accessment of the program's quality.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

My issue isn't Ryan's taste, it's his tendency to make sweeping assertions about the Japanese market using his own taste as a guideline, rather than looking at available facts.

What available facts is he ignoring? The Little Witch Acadamia event didn't sell enough seats to happen (fact), the kickstarter for the second episode deliberately appealed to Western fans (fact) and he has done his best to assess the actual comments of actual Japanese fans regarding the program. I'd actually assert he's paid much more attention to the available facts than anyone else on this thread.

Granted, Ryan doesn't rush into threads to announce when the Japanese market goes crazy for things that are counter to his taste (I very much doubt RyanSaotome is a big fan of Attack on Titan, but the Japanese are eating it up). I'd posit, however, that most polite people don't rush out to repeatedly announce in public how they don't like how things are running counter to their taste.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
@VORTIA Yeah, the Japanese fans in general don't really like or care for LWA. So? Does that mean anything at all? No, not really. Just like I don't care if Americans dislike Sword in the Stone. The home country of a product is not the be all, end all, believe it or not. Popularity never has meant anything, unless backed up. Like Lion King. Lion King is a masterpiece, which has a lot of fanboys, however that movie deserves everything it has. Now it's a billion $ on its own. Something like COD deserves NOTHING. That shit is lame. Bad controls, repetitive. Nothing is good about COD. However, there's shit like Gundam X, which is close to a masterpiece, but people don't care for it in Japan. Big whoop. It's still a near masterpiece, nonetheless.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@VORTIA Yeah, the Japanese fans in general don't really like or care for LWA. So? Does that mean anything at all? No, not really.

For the individual experiencing the program? Agreed. I've loved plenty of anime that have bombed. Escaflowne was a great series that did rather poorly, and if I recall was even cancelled before its run was complete. If you want a reasonable assessment regarding whether or not there will be significantly more of a given franchise, however, it's popularity will be key. Unless Western audiences buy the release of Little Witch Academia in droves, or Trigger keeps running kickstarters for it, I wouldn't expect more after this second OVA.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
@VORTIA Yeah, the Japanese fans in general don't really like or care for LWA. So? Does that mean anything at all? No, not really.

For the individual experiencing the program? Agreed. I've loved plenty of anime that have bombed. Escaflowne was a great series that did rather poorly, and if I recall was even cancelled before its run was complete. If you want a reasonable assessment regarding whether or not there will be significantly more of a given franchise, however, it's popularity will be key. Unless Western audiences buy the release of Little Witch Academia in droves, or Trigger keeps running kickstarters for it, I wouldn't expect more after this second OVA.

Yeah, exactly this. Theres nothing wrong at all with liking something thats not popular in Japan, thats cool. But Japan is the driving force of what gets made in the industry... You should care about how Japan receives things when it comes to the type of anime that is made going forward. With how little the Western market impacts the anime industry these days, there isn't much reason for Japan to make shows that the West likes but Japan doesn't.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@VORTIA OF course Trigger and friends need some money, duh. That's why people make stuff for the public to enjoy. To make profits. However, there are some who do no deserve it. Take Dragon Ball Evoution. I never really liked the original Toriyama series, but it didn't deserve that shitty movie, however it made less than $20 million in its home country(well one of its home countries), due to word of mouth and obvious terribleness. If LWA is the best it can be, it deserves to sell very well. The budget is $600,000+. Making that back shouldn't be too hard. It needs to sell about 20,000 to break even and 40,000 to make a nice profit. It COULD do that. Just not in Japan, which is fine. If I were an American producer, but I realized something only did meh in America, but really well in Japan, I'll focus on Japan. That Tim Burton known as The Nightmare Before Christmas did not do that well in America. It did ULTRA well in Japan. Now Disney only focuses on Japan for that product. Why WOULD it focus on the US? The US doesn't even like TNBC! Lilo and Stitch did well, but it didn't last. It's STILL popular to this day in Japan. Japan is the only place were the TV series is fully released on DVD, they have their own anime products and loads of merch. Disney focuses on Japan for Stitch products and for good reason. Anime may be Japanese, but saying the Japanese are the be all end all is like saying the Americans are the be all end all to those above Disney movies, which they're not.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, most anime company's were actually very excited about the prospect of Western sales back in the mid-2000's. Unfortunately, they falsely believed that American fans would act like Japanese fans, and shell out 60$ for two episodes on Blu-Ray and consume truckloads of merchandise. They quickly realised this was not the case. Now, most seem to consider marketing to Westerners an unfathomable dead-end. Is that foolish? Sure it is, but that's the nature of the beast. If Studio Trigger proves them wrong with Little Witch Academia, that'd be neat, but I rather doubt that will happen. I can't see Little Witch Academia becoming the next Sailor Moon or Pokemon, and that's what would need to happen to really turn the heads of Japanese production committees.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
@YamadaKun

"To make profits" - agree
"some who do not deserve it" - disagree; and well, just wrong
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The thing is, most anime company's were actually very excited about the prospect of Western sales back in the mid-2000's. Unfortunately, they falsely believed that American fans would act like Japanese fans, and shell out 60$ for two episodes on Blu-Ray and consume truckloads of merchandise. They quickly realised this was not the case. Now, most seem to consider marketing to Westerners an unfathomable dead-end. Is that foolish? Sure it is, but that's the nature of the beast. If Studio Trigger proves them wrong with Little Witch Academia, that'd be neat, but I rather doubt that will happen. I can't see Little Witch Academia becoming the next Sailor Moon or Pokemon, and that's what would need to happen to really turn the heads of Japanese production committees.

Anime Mirai was a little project that I doubt anyone thought was going to make loads of money.

The fact that Little Witch Academia got the support it did (even from an International fanbase) is a big deal.

No one is expecting it to be the next Sailor Moon but that doesn't mean it wasn't its own little success regardless of it not doing well in the home market.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
@VORTIA Depends on the anime. Something very Japanese is better targeted to the Japanese. Something like Trigun and Big O has and is better targeted to Westerners, for obvious reasons.

@configspace There are some people in life who do not deserve money for anime or any sort of product. Take Sunrise. They make millions of dollars a year, yet they do not deserve because they have been shitting garbage for a LONG ass time. Same with Aniplex. All of it. I do not think Madoka deserves 1$ of anything. It isn't really all too good at all. I find it to be horrible, the art is bad, the character designs turn me off, the plot is barely a plot, even Looney Tunes has more plot, I blame it as one of the reasons I hate modern anime and the FANS are SO defensive. It's just a lamer version of Evangelion.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
That Tim Burton known as The Nightmare Before Christmas did not do that well in America. It did ULTRA well in Japan. Now Disney only focuses on Japan for that product. Why WOULD it focus on the US? The US doesn't even like TNBC!

Holy god you are so wrong about this it's like you created a singularity of complete and utter wrongness that threatens to swallow the galaxy

Nightmare before Christmas was a modest success upon its release but slowly became one of the biggest cult sensations in Disney's catalog, eventually creating a gigantic flood of merchandise and theatrical re-releases that continues to this day. Go to any Disney park and at least 80% of the merchandise in certain parts of the park are all Nightmare-centric. It went from modest cult thing to massive cultural thing.
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
That Tim Burton known as The Nightmare Before Christmas did not do that well in America. It did ULTRA well in Japan. Now Disney only focuses on Japan for that product. Why WOULD it focus on the US? The US doesn't even like TNBC!

Laughing I see Nightmare Before Christmas stuff all the time in stores like Hot Topic. It seems to appeal to those older kids who like it for its cutsey dark nature. I imagine Lilo & Stitch has a DVD release there because kids shows in America rarely get DVD releases.

YamadaKun wrote:
Spirited Away only made $235,000,000 in Japan and Toy Story 3 did over $440,000,000 in the US

Well, if you wan't to get technical Spirited Away made more money per capita in its home country than Toy Story 3 did. Laughing Gatta take that population difference into account. It's kind of impressive when you see a film in a much smaller country like Japan get into the hundreds of millions like a Hollywood blockbuster can. Most movies cap out under 100 million there due to their much smaller market and population.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
@lostrune Yeah, I know about population differences and all. Just making a point to prove that quality has no bearing with gross. TS3 isn't even Pixar's best. I also know that only certain kids shows here get full releases, but the Lilo and Stitch cartoon only got 1 full release in one country. Japan.

@zac Didn't know that. Still not as popular as it is in Japan though and it probably never will be. Japan was the reason those characters were in Kingdom Hearts. Though Kingdom Hearts technically does better in the US, though. It's like Donald Duck. Sure he's popular in the States, but it doesn't compare to his popularity in Sweden or Norway or other Nordic countries like FInland and Denmark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14