• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2017

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 am Reply with quote
Opinions are like, well, you know. Everyone's got one.

Biggest surprise for me is probably only a single listing of Girls' Last Tour at #5. I figured it would probably at least rate on more people's lists somewhere.

Another surprise is not one mention of Tsuki ga Kirei. I figured it would at least end up being listed. I guess nobody wanted to channel their inner middle school angst, or perhaps nobody wants to remember it?

Among the most popular titles my biggest "I don't get it" is probably The Ancient Magus' Bride. It's great looking and atmospheric, but I haven't had the big moment that makes it a top 5 title for me. Not bad by any stretch, but it probably wouldn't crack my 2017 Top 10 based on what's aired so far this year.

Finally I think I can always count on Mike Toole to pick at least one wildcard. Berserk? Well played, Sir.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Interestingly Girls Last Tour didn't get that much publicity. Well being released late in the year and behind Amazon's double paywall was a factor. Still I thibk it is a worthy spiritual successor to Haibane Renmei.

Land of the Lustrous also was behind that same paywall in the same season, so I don't really think that was a factor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
5. Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
4. My Hero Academia S2
3. Osomatsu-san S2
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2
1. March Comes in Like a Lion S2

A really good year for sequels I'd say.

Honourable mentions: ACCA, Land of the Lustrous, Mahoujin Guruguru, Gintama, Little Witch Academia

Last edited by Nakurawari on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
Interestingly Girls Last Tour didn't get that much publicity. Well being released late in the year and behind Amazon's double paywall was a factor. Still I thibk it is a worthy spiritual successor to Haibane Renmei.

Land of the Lustrous also was behind that same paywall in the same season, so I don't really think that was a factor.

So was made in abyss which totally dominated the summer charts and got rank 2 of the year. Clearly Amazon's paywall isn't having much if any affect on a shows publicity or popularity.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Just coming in quickly to gives my top fives while I have some free time and it's still 2017... also I couldn't really think of many plot twists so I left that section out.

My Top 5 Characters of 2017
5) Phosphophyllite (Land of the Lustrous)
4) Morioka Moriko (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
3) Konatsu (Shouwa Genroku Rakugp Shinjuu 2)
2) Shimogamo Yasuburo (The Eccentric Family 2)
1) Ouzen (Made In Abyss)

My Top 5 Theme Songs of 2017
5) Hikari, Hikari by Yuuka Aisaka (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
4) On My MiND by Mrs. Green Apple (Fastest Finger First)
3) Peace Sign by Kenshi Yonezu (My Hero Academia)
2) Sayonara Moon Town by Scenarioart (Boruto: Naruto Next Generations)
1) Mind Conductor by YURiKA (Little Witch Academia)

My Bottom 5 Anime of 2017
5) Urahara
4) Anonymous Noise
3) Twin Star Exorcists
2) Hand Shakers
1) Rewrite

My Top 5 Anime of 2017
5) KonoSuba 2
4) Land of the Lustrous
3) Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
2) Eccentric Family 2
1) Made In Abyss

Last edited by SnowyLightning44 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
I don't have any best anime for 2017. Let's see...

I quit Attack on Titan 2 midway because the characters were just so dumb in a world where stupid mistakes should cost you your life. "Irregular titans mean irregular situations... it also means they're people, idiots... Stop sending cannon fodder to look for a hole in the Wall that isn't there, fools... Think what that Titan that can't move means" The except moment I quit? "He's dragging you towards the crater, where he fell, look up you f@#$ing moron!" The first season was so smart, so well paced in a "trust no one" sort of way but here? "Don't arm them, we don't know which could be titans. They could get away."

Yeah? Imagine that, a guy who could turn into a 20 foot tall giant needing a Jager's grapple set to get away. Oh, the pain, it hits right between my eyes...

I made it though the first episode BBB season 1, four episodes of LL Sunshine season 1, eight episodes of My Hero Acada season 1 and I'm still waiting for Konosuba to be licensed so their sequels mean nothing to me.

There are shows I saw this year and there are shows I like and there are places those two overlap but none of it is the compulsive "must watch this show to find out how it ends" sort of way. I just finally finished watching Higurashi season 2 and there's nothing like that.

Ok, lowering my expectations. As your use of streamlined budget expenditure goes up so everyone looks decent to good, the reliance on actual scripts and plotting to carry the show goes down. It's not like I got into anime for the expert use of serial storytelling anyway.

What did I like? Too strong, what did I stand? Some basic rom coms I guess?

Wait, I didn't see any long form action adventure series like Gate or Cross Ange this year? It was either sequels or shorties? No wonder 2017 left me so meh.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 am Reply with quote
Why are you waiting for Konosuba to be licensed? Why not watch it on cruchyroll?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
From "Best Characters of 2017"
Paul Jensen wrote:
.....he's also a formless mass of power and violence that may have eaten humans in the past.
spoiler[No may about it. he openly admitted to it, and twice did some licking and later infantile like knawing of Chise to the point of her getting quite angry with him for the first time in the manga.]
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Why are you waiting for Konosuba to be licensed? Why not watch it on cruchyroll?

Just so that you and other people can know ahead of time, the person above you hates Crunchyroll, so he doesn’t count it. Also, just don’t bother trying to argue with him on that front (or any front at all, really) because all you will get is a type of response that fits with the last part of his username and should always be taken with mountainous piles of salt (as well as about 99% of everything else he posts about here on this site).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
hmmm... what if Konosuba is released as a Crunchyroll release via Funimation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

Just so that you and other people can know ahead of time, the person above you hates Crunchyroll, so he doesn’t count it. Also, just don’t bother trying to argue with him on that front (or any front at all, really) because all you will get is a type of response that fits with the last part of his username and should always be taken with mountainous piles of salt (as well as about 99% of everything else he posts about here on this site).

So that's why half his post made no sense, got it.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Seems strange to me that so many of the staff of this site complains about incest in little sister shows and such, and yet they let Rakugo Shinju get away with a far more exploitative version of it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
It seems strange to me that 2017 had the most titles I ever gave a masterpiece rating while I didn't give masterpiece ratings to any titles from 2015 and 2016 and to only 3 titles from the two years of 2013-2014, so on average 1 masterpiece every one year or two. Overall, it appears to me that 2017 is certainly the best year ever for anime for me since I watched 5 titles I rated as masterpiece: Made in Abyss, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Girls Last Tour, Boku no Hero Academia and Little Witch Academia. That has never happened before. Reading other people's comments it appears that it is not true for the forum's population in general, I guess stuff that appeals to my tastes were more popular in 2017 than in previous years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It seems strange to me that 2017 had the most titles I ever gave a masterpiece rating while I didn't give masterpiece ratings to any titles from 2015 and 2016 and to only 3 titles from the two years of 2013-2014, so on average 1 masterpiece every one year or two. Overall, it appears to me that 2017 is certainly the best year ever for anime for me since I watched 5 titles I rated as masterpiece: Made in Abyss, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Girls Last Tour, Boku no Hero Academia and Little Witch Academia. That has never happened before. Reading other people's comments it appears that it is not true for the forum's population in general, I guess stuff that appeals to my tastes were more popular in 2017 than in previous years.

I think a lot of people really loved 2017, myself included. And your masterpieces are all very high on my list for the year as well. I think I would also consider 2017 to be the best year anime has ever had in regards to my tastes. 2011 is close with both Madoka and Fate/Zero, but I can't think of another year with as many powerhouse productions that resonated with me. Even if I have favorites all over the years.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I see, so I am not alone. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11