• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Kakushigoto and Villainess were both funny and enormously entertaining. They’re at the top of the list for me, along with my beloved returning Bookworm. Also stoked about returning shows Furuba, Food Wars and Kaguya-Sama, Love Is War (curiously missing from both the Preview Guide and the Upcoming Anime list).

I can see how Rebecca might not be in the mood for the “melancholy hopelessness” of Sing "Yesterday" For Me right now, what with the pandemic and all, but I really liked the tone of this one—guess I dig that “sort of late-nineties grunge hopelessness.” That scene of Rikuo falling off his bike onto the pile of garbage bags totally reminded me of John Cusak in Better Off Dead (“a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy”).

Listeners didn’t really do it for me. I mean, the two main characters are lively and engaging but the concept was a bit of a stretch for me. Still, it has good credentials so I’ll give it another episode or two to change my mind.

Princess Connect! Re:Dive: unexpectedly funny—those wolves are priceless; Gleipnir is creepy, emotionally messy and interesting; and Appare-Ranman! is an exhilarating road race mash-up of Jules Verne and Dr. Stone. Fun!
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Love is War 2 had me in stitches, especially the last arc. They sure hit the ground running.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
Great to see Kaguya not get delayed and have a great episode. Looks like this should be another great season =)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
You couldn't wait one more day to put up the review voting until everything has premiered and at least gotten a Guide preview?

I'd really like to see Woodpecker Detective's Office (Kitsutsuki Tantei-Dokoro) get weekly reviews, but a lot of people who've never even heard of it, let alone had a chance to see it yet, will not vote for it, nor are they likely to go back and add it later if it wasn't on their radar (a lot of people don't know you can do that).
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'd really like to see Woodpecker Detective's Office (Kitsutsuki Tantei-Dokoro) get weekly reviews, but a lot of people who've never even heard of it, let alone had a chance to see it yet, will not vote for it, nor are they likely to go back and add it later if it wasn't on their radar (a lot of people don't know you can do that).

I second this. I was looking forward to this one and I was not disappointed. I’m always up for anything even vaguely Sherlockian, and I like the time period. While the show does have some lighthearted moments, I’m digging the elegiac feel of the first episode. Hope others will give it a chance, and vote after. Like Gina says, you can go back in and edit your votes for the entire duration of the survey (but don’t wait too long, survey ends without warning!).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Having now seen Woodpecker, I do recommend it wholeheartedly. I can see why Nick felt it was boring, because he was apparently expecting the episode to be about the mystery, which it wasn't. Despite the intro blurb, they didn't even solve it, just spoiler[exonerated an innocent man.] No, the episode was table-setting, to establish the time and place and characters, their relationship, how they approach things, and how they came to start a detective agency. I thought it was enough for one episode.

It's interesting that we got two series about famous authors this season, both using some of the same authors to boot. They couldn't be more different though. Smile
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
There any particular reason Kaguya-sama S2 wasn't part of the preview guide? Bookworm S2 was, so clearly being a sequel isn't the problem.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
There any particular reason Kaguya-sama S2 wasn't part of the preview guide? Bookworm S2 was, so clearly being a sequel isn't the problem.

None of us were caught up on it, I guess? I honestly didn't realize no one had done it until you mentioned it. (I never got past episode 2 myself.)

Given that it was episode-reviewed last time and the series' lingering popularity, I would be shocked if it's not back for episode reviews, at least.

Last edited by Key on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote

Our regular reviewers for the guide weren't caught up, as Theron said - however it will definitely be covered for weekly streaming by Amy McNulty, who covered the first season for us.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Our regular reviewers for the guide weren't caught up, as Theron said - however it will definitely be covered for weekly streaming by Amy McNulty, who covered the first season for us.

So, this brings up a point about usage of the guide. I don’t know about others but I’ve got 2 reasons to visit the preview guide. The first is for the reviews, naturally. But the second is to get a list of all the season’s shows in one place with the information on who’s streaming what when. Judging by the comments from Key and Zac, I take it that the first reviewer of a show is responsible to post the page for that show? Maybe that could change and the summary and streaming info could be posted independent of the reviews? I dunno, just spitballing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:

So, this brings up a point about usage of the guide. I don’t know about others but I’ve got 2 reasons to visit the preview guide. The first is for the reviews, naturally. But the second is to get a list of all the season’s shows in one place with the information on who’s streaming what when. Judging by the comments from Key and Zac, I take it that the first reviewer of a show is responsible to post the page for that show? Maybe that could change and the summary and streaming info could be posted independent of the reviews? I dunno, just spitballing.

Editorial handles all management. Myself and Lynzee decide which shows to post and when, and we handle that formatting and posting ourselves. We have a regular crew of 4 freelance writers who cover what they can. It is not and never was intended to be an exhaustive list of everything airing in a season - and the focus is always on new shows premiering, rather than new seasons of shows we're already covering. We have limited resources and do what we can when we can.

I could've asked Amy to cover it for the guide and then also review the same episode again for daily streaming, but instead it felt smarter and more efficient to me (and less annoying to one of our valuable writers) to just have her start it right away under daily streaming, since it would clearly make the poll. Asking her to also cover the same episode for preview guide is redundant given those circumstances. Our daily streaming reviewers generally have a 3-day deadline.

However, we do have plans for a basic rundown of everything streaming in a season and where it's streaming - but it's something that needs to be automated, which we're still figuring out. Hopefully that'll be up and running soon and will help meet all of your needs.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
However, we do have plans for a basic rundown of everything streaming in a season and where it's streaming - but it's something that needs to be automated, which we're still figuring out. Hopefully that'll be up and running soon and will help meet all of your needs.

Well, that would be lovely, just what I was hoping for. I’ll keep my fingers crossed, but I’m certainly not looking to add to your workload right now!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Being a sequel isn't the problem, but I get the impression that, understandably, sequels much more often get only a single review for the preview guide. It makes perfect sense, since the extra value in having more perspectives is reduced for a sequel, but probably made it a little bit more likely that Kaguya-sama S2 slipped through the cracks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10