• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Rise and Evolution of Old Classic Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:40 am Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
Actually, the funniest thing about Glitter Force's english dub is that Glitter/Cure Peace was voiced by the same VA as Rebecca from Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Alex Cazares.This was...I think 5 years before voicing her?

Oh LORD, her voice was all wrong for Peace.

She gave Yayoi a low-pitched, raspy voice that did not fit her character at all. It was my least favorite VA performance all both GF dubs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
One of the actors for Shaman King is a Broadway actor who was in Wicked and Into the Woods but he's long been retired from anime dubbing and his last anime role was in Yugioh Zexal in 2015 and he didn't even return to voice his character in the Shaman King reboot. Most anime actors tend to have had some experience n theater and many move onto bigger projects like American cartoon TV shows and movies and video games cause it pays better than anime dubbing, so New York isn't unique in this regard.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that those actors aren't talented and haven't done notable things outside of anime, but phrases like "best actors in the world" and "Broadway superstars" are just a wee bit of hyperbole (which is par for the course from the poster in question). You're right that it's not just a New York thing, either. Several notable Texas-based actors like Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey moved to LA years ago and have done a lot of high-profile work since then. Some long-term LA actors like Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman have done tons of non-anime work too. And it goes the other way as well: I have a friend who lives outside of Houston, and she's mentioned seeing actors in local theater productions or radio who have later shown up in One Piece's dub. Given just how many roles there are to fill, I think Funiroll has grabbed everyone in a few-hundred-mile radius with a decent voice by this point. Laughing
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I want to find out whose bright idea in the first place of replacing the music in the anime and adding dubbed theme songs and insert songs back in the 90s and 2000s!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
I want to find out whose bright idea in the first place of replacing the music in the anime and adding dubbed theme songs and insert songs back in the 90s and 2000s!

The people who licensed these programs back in the day were looking for content. The proliferation of cable channels had to be fed and all the appropriate American shows had already been picked. They were not bringing anime to the U.S. market. They were finding content that could be cheaply licensed and with a small amount (or some times a lot) of changes could be made to look like a normal American show. Changing any music that did not seem "normal" was simply part of the process. They seriously tried to edit out anything that spoiled the illusion that this was an ordinary show.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:12 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:

When you edit the footage itself, whether that be for content reasons or simply so that it actually fits within standard American TV time limits (most American TV only runs 20 minutes without commercials, while most anime runs 24-25 minutes), that means that the music & effects tracks from the original Japanese version can't be used for the dub, since it would no longer sync up with the edited footage. Sure, the original Japanese score could still be inserted if they have the isolated score, but most licenses don't include the isolated score (M&E is all they get), and even if they did they wanted it to sound more "American", so since they weren't using the original M&E anyway they might as well just make their own musical score, since they were also already making their own sound effects, too.

There's also been word that (while not an outright rule) it was generally considered standard that animated programming in America during that time couldn't go without some sort of non-quiet moment (i.e. talking or, at the very least, a bombastic score) for something like 5-10 seconds, because everyone was worried that the kids would get bored & change the channel. Yes, they truly thought that kids were that dumb back then (&, to be fair, I'm sure many still think that way today, unfortunately).
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:29 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:

Does it matter who? They all did it for the same reason and it was to make money.

From Brady Hartel posted 8 years ago in response to a ANN article about Saban:

https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642164590751690752
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642164636423483392
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642164689586245632
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642164763301163009
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642164854506299394
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642164914665222148
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642165096337272832
https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/642165875425062912

Quote:
Interesting Answerman about Saban stuff today! Worth a read! animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-09-10/.92741

A couple other cool things not brought up in that article: Saban always reversioned the music in their dubs so they would get residuals.

The reason why the Fox Kids Escaflowne dub is such a mish-mash is because Japan didn't like getting dicked out of money, IIRC.

This is the same reason Funimation did their own score for DBZ- they learned from their experience with Saban.

And even if they don't own the license anymore, they still get a piece of that music unless they sold the rights back completely.

When Disney bought their catalogue, they weren't allowed to change any of the music to catalog titles, especially in Power Rangers.

This is why the Disney-era of PR seldom played "GO GO POWER RANGERS" and old PR eps after a while, because Saban was still getting money.

I suspect the reason why the Canadian dub of DBZ exists with its own music is so that AB Groupe got the residuals and not Funimation.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:28 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:

Dubbed songs don't really seem that egregious to me, assuming we're talking about dubbed songs of the Japanese music rather than original creations, like English version of Ouran High School Host Club's theme or Yu Yu Hakusho's theme. That was kind of a neat effort on their part you don't see much of this day.

Unless you mean original songs like the One Piece rap and them inserting Britney Spears and Smash Mouth into Pokemon and Digimon, in which case, yeah, it was pretty silly.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:12 am Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:

Dubbed songs don't really seem that egregious to me, assuming we're talking about dubbed songs of the Japanese music rather than original creations, like English version of Ouran High School Host Club's theme or Yu Yu Hakusho's theme. That was kind of a neat effort on their part you don't see much of this day.

Unless you mean original songs like the One Piece rap and them inserting Britney Spears and Smash Mouth into Pokemon and Digimon, in which case, yeah, it was pretty silly.
I’m talking about the latter. I think the idea of adding A-list singers and musicians into a licensed soundtrack may have to do with trying to make the anime look like a Disney Channel/Nickelodeon tv show/original movie.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:35 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
I’m talking about the latter. I think the idea of adding A-list singers and musicians into a licensed soundtrack may have to do with trying to make the anime look like a Disney Channel/Nickelodeon tv show/original movie.

How often was that even a thing? I can only think of Pokemon and DIgimon, and that was exclusively for their movie releases. Most of these dubs were made as cost-cutting measures and recycling music from other shows. Very few would bother with that kind of treatment
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
How often was that even a thing? I can only think of Pokemon and DIgimon, and that was exclusively for their movie releases. Most of these dubs were made as cost-cutting measures and recycling music from other shows. Very few would bother with that kind of treatment

The original Sailor Moon dub had vocal songs by some pretty notable people back then plus it had four soundtracks released during it's run (technically three but the fourth was a Canada-only release that had different arrangements for some of the songs).

I believe Cardcaptors did as well but I only watched the first movie dub which had some songs there.

Another example is with Glitter Force which had a ton of songs by the girl group Blush, some of which were not made for the show.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:

Funimation did this with many of the Dragon Ball Z movies. Outside of Sum 41, they maybe weren't general audience a-listers (no Linkin Park despite the AMVs), but those had notable bands like Dream Theater, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Finger Eleven, etc.

The original Beyblade had a bunch of dub insert tracks. Sony put out a soundtrack CD with most of it, which ADK dumped onto streaming sites a year or two back. The in-show songs were done by local Toronto musicians. Amusingly, two of them wound up winning the same American music competition TV series in different years after their work on the anime. Thinking about it, from jive-talking grandpa, dub OST reality show winners, and some of the lead cast later having roles in Mean Girls, Beyblade is kind of an early '00s time capsule.

Monsuno had its theme song performed by Far East Movement, who did that G6 song that was popular for a bit. Beyblade Burst has had some online famous musicians do its dub OPs. Same with Walk off the Earth for Pokemon Journeys.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Funimation did this with many of the Dragon Ball Z movies. Outside of Sum 41, they maybe weren't general audience a-listers (no Linkin Park despite the AMVs), but those had notable bands like Dream Theater, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Finger Eleven, etc.

There was also decent timing with some of those bands since songs like Saliva's "Superstar" (Bardock TV special) & Disturbed's "The Game" (Cooler's Revenge) were known hits at the time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:20 am Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:

The original English dub of Street Fighter II The Animated Movie also rescored the movie with US bands like Korn and Alice in Chains. Disney's dub of Ponyo included a rendition of the theme song by Noah Cyrus and one of the Jonas Brothers in the ending credits and they had one of their Disney Channel pop stars record an original song for their dub of Arrietty.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:11 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TokimekiCrisis wrote:

The original Sailor Moon dub had vocal songs by some pretty notable people back then plus it had four soundtracks released during it's run (technically three but the fourth was a Canada-only release that had different arrangements for some of the songs).

I believe Cardcaptors did as well but I only watched the first movie dub which had some songs there.

Another example is with Glitter Force which had a ton of songs by the girl group Blush, some of which were not made for the show.
The original dub of Sailor Moon had Stan Bush from Transformers movie singing on the soundtrack. The Pokemon movies went hard on the first two movie soundtracks by adding NSYNC, Aaron Carter, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Spice Girls, Donna Summer, Jesse McCartney, B-52, and Weird Al. Yugioh the movie had the Black Eyed Peas in which was the highlight of the soundtrack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10