• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube, Crunchyroll Stream Kurokami TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
If I do watch this after all, I'll only ever watch this series on Youtube. I only support honest, responsible sites, not sites that once had fansubs.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Because it was news back in December before it started airing, that Bandai had licensed it and was dubbing it off the storyboards for a same day US dubbed broadcast.

Kinda ashamed to say it, but I downloaded the tvrip of the first episode dubbed and compared it to the Japanese raw, and I actually enjoyed the US dub voices more. So the opportunity to watch the dub of this is really appreciated, rather than a sub, since there has been no mention of a DVD release, and one episode was just not enough.

Youtube, here I come.
I disliked the dub vastly compared to the sub. Mostly because of Keita's voice and some side characters, Kuro wasn't too bad. Sub pwns it overall tho. But the show isn't even that great...it went from a cool martial arts thing to basically DBZ with less fireballs and shorter fights...and now even the story has gotten really cliche. Oh well.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
Because it was news back in December before it started airing, that Bandai had licensed it and was dubbing it off the storyboards for a same day US dubbed broadcast.

Kinda ashamed to say it, but I downloaded the tvrip of the first episode dubbed and compared it to the Japanese raw, and I actually enjoyed the US dub voices more. So the opportunity to watch the dub of this is really appreciated, rather than a sub, since there has been no mention of a DVD release, and one episode was just not enough.

Youtube, here I come.
I disliked the dub vastly compared to the sub. Mostly because of Keita's voice and some side characters, Kuro wasn't too bad. Sub pwns it overall tho. But the show isn't even that great...it went from a cool martial arts thing to basically DBZ with less fireballs and shorter fights...and now even the story has gotten really cliche. Oh well.

Some people hate Anime hyper
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Leading up to the release of the first volume of KUROKAMI THE ANIMATION on DVD later this year, we knew this show needed a lot of buzz. That is why we chose Crunchyroll as one of the official places for fans to enjoy the show.

Well at least that's a reason they pushed the release date back to ∞. I was worried they were going to cancel the DVD release all together. Hopefully they don't push it back too far.

Asrialys wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
since there has been no mention of a DVD release, and one episode was just not enough

First DVD release coming out in June...

No it got pushed back, as can be seen by Rightstuf's product page
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Speaking of Sunrise, it's nice to finally see an ANN article concerning a Sunrise series that's being released on Crunchyroll, without the article writer referring to Surnise as Bandai this and Bandai that and only mentioning Sunrise by name once... twice.. or not at all.

For some reason, it just felt weird whenever they did that.

Ironically, Crunchyroll's own press release does not mention Sunrise at all, but it does mention Bandai Channel and Bandai Entertainment. That's because Crunchyroll's deal is with its partner Bandai Channel, just like its deals for Gundam 00 and Code Geass. What is weird about mentioning the companies that Crunchyroll itself mentions?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
No UK? NO SAFETY!

Oh well, I'll get to see this one porta gratis way or another.
Wether or not it's a way that, say, furthers any companies' ends is another matter altogether.

Seriously though, it's pathetic, it doesn't do the companies any good whatsoever and it just comes off as puting a huge sign saying "We don't like money".

With One Piece and Funi, I can sympathise with Funi because oddly enoguh everything else's been avaiable via thier site and One Piece has had a noted history of not being the most frendly thing to get by the non english euro licencers.
But they can afford that one because, hey, guess what, they've allowed the rest of thier libary for Brittish concumption.

Bandai, however, can go die in a fire.
mozychan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If I do watch this after all, I'll only ever watch this series on Youtube. I only support honest, responsible sites, not sites that once had fansubs.

Youtube has never had users upload pirated and fansubbed material before? lol. whatever. Rolling Eyes

-moose
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Yes, how dare the American companies not have the rights to make it available to a non-American nation?
Oh, hey, regional licensing. Otherwise known as "We won't take your money, but will bitch and moan when you acquire it elsewhere". Has the internet taught people nothing about global distribution?

Bandai often has a hard enough time streaming to Canada, which is in their license, because it is in North America. Kurokami likely isn't region-blocked for us though. Since I've never been geo-blocked by Crunchyroll before, but I've only watched like Gintama there.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute, I just found out about a way people in non-NA countries can access this anime on the legal sites. But I'm not sure if I should post it, it seems legal (just some configuring of your Firefox set-up), but just to be safe, I'll wait until Zac or another mod gives the a-okay (and if they need to, I can PM the mod the instructions).

So, if this method IS legal, then BAM!, about the only legitimate complaint against legal streams just got shot down.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Wait a minute, I just found out about a way people in non-NA countries can access this anime on the legal sites. But I'm not sure if I should post it, it seems legal (just some configuring of your Firefox set-up), but just to be safe, I'll wait until Zac or another mod gives the a-okay (and if they need to, I can PM the mod the instructions).

So, if this method IS legal, then BAM!, about the only legitimate complaint against legal streams just got shot down.

Oh it's not like there are any particularly flaming hoops to jump through. Just the fact that there are hoops at all.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I assume you're talking about proxies? Either you're using a free proxy (enjoy your 2 weeks of pre-loading streams at 1kbps), it's ad supported (read: enjoy your embedded spyware), or you're paying for a subscription service on top of everything elso.
Not to mention the need for a card with a US billing address to actually pay for anything.
And all this to bypass a problem that should not even exist in the first place.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Oh, hey, regional licensing. Otherwise known as "We won't take your money, but will bitch and moan when you acquire it elsewhere". Has the internet taught people nothing about global distribution?

Oh, they know the problems, but they don't know the solution yet.

Can you solve the following dilemma faced by a theoretical anime producer ?

UK Fans want to see watch my anime, but no UK company is willing to license it just yet. With neither a UK licensee, nor a UK office of our own, we don't have anyone "on the ground" to do the necessary work to get decent CPMs, so we're stuck with crap revenue if we do stream it. Our net revenue from streaming it in the UK would come in at less $1 CPM and making it available would make it even harder for us to find a UK licensee. So if we don't stream it now, the fans are mad and will download pirated copies. If we do stream it now, we won't make much money at all, we might not ever find a licensee, and there might never be a UK DVD. Damn...

Seriously, maybe you should go complain to your local anime companies, it's their job to bring the anime to you...

Hey, if you can solve this problem, why aren't you an Internet millionaire?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
I assume you're talking about proxies?

What? No, I'm talking about re-configuring your Firefox set-up. It doesn't take long to do, and it doesn't cost a dime.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I was worried they were going to cancel the DVD release all together. Hopefully they don't push it back too far.

They also pushed back there first release of Gundam 00 by a month. Come to think of it, that happened right before they announced it was going to be available on Crunchyroll as well. Maybe this means Kurokami will only be pushed back a month. Its a shame Bandia doesn't update there site with this info. It also wouldn't hurt them to advertise there releases a bit more either.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
What? No, I'm talking about re-configuring your Firefox set-up. It doesn't take long to do, and it doesn't cost a dime.

As somebody who has attempted various means, I am truly unable to fathom how a simple reconfiguring could possibly be an effective means of enabling access, unless a proxy was somehow involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3