• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Source Codes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the Fate/Stay Night visual novels, this scene would take 30 pages to describe and be littered with sausage metaphors."

This attitude of childish mockery towards a game he's never played in a genre he's never given a fair chance to is why I can't stand the X-Button. He's supposed to give news and reviews about games related to anime/manga so why does he hate on the largest segment (visual novels) so much.

I like the idea of this column but Todd is clearly too immature to take his job seriously.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Quote:
In the Fate/Stay Night visual novels, this scene would take 30 pages to describe and be littered with sausage metaphors."

This attitude of childish mockery towards a game he's never played in a genre he's never given a fair chance to is why I can't stand the X-Button. He's supposed to give news and reviews about games related to anime/manga so why does he hate on the largest segment (visual novels) so much.

I like the idea of this column but Todd is clearly too immature to take his job seriously.

Come on now. I've played the game and enjoyed it, but still get a kick out of Nasu's crazy sex scene writing. If anything, Todd should be admonished for limiting metaphors to those of the sausage variety, I seem to recall a few good ones about mollusks....
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also Shipping: The critically hyped Scribblenauts for the DS. Looks great, but it's beyond this column's focus.

Aww come on. You gotta answer burning otaku questions like: can you draw a fireball, giant robot, sentient sword, harisen, or a random chibi? Can I draw all 7 dragonballs and instantly win? Do I need to include an energy source when I draw EVA 01? How big do her breast have to be so they distract my enemy who want to do dirty things to her once they go off screen or so I can use as a jumping apperatic to reach high places?!
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Wait, I've never heard any sort of Lisa Simpson-related Naruto joke. How does it go?

Presumably something about them going to the same hairdresser.

I liked the Visual Novel, but I'm not all that great at fighting games and don't have a PSP, so I'll probably give Unlimited Codes a miss... But how many other games can have Cú Chulainn fighting Medea? (And who would win that? Cú Chulainn is Cú Chulainn, but Medea's grandfather is the sun...)

Quote:
And as for what Mario & Luigi has to do with Internet fetishes... I don't know and I don't want to know.

Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask, does Fate/Unlimited Codes have a story mode with boss fights and endings? After feeling so insulted by a game like King of Fighters XII (which I bought on release day, sat down with once, and then shelved) I find myself asking this question (which shouldn't even need asking in 2009) every time I consider a new fighting game rather than getting burned by another stripped down fighter.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
Wait, I've never heard any sort of Lisa Simpson-related Naruto joke. How does it go?

Presumably something about them going to the same hairdresser.

I thought it had something to do with that Nickelodeon Magazine article that had the two of them dating.

Have to say that going back and looking at the comments on every image is quite the treat. How could I miss that for so long?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
@Showsni: That's an Internet joke, not an Internet fetish. I think Todd was implying something a whole lot less wholesome... though I STILL don't want to know what it is. (I already know more than I could ever wish to about bizarre video game fetishes from a guy I was unfortunate enough to know in my freshman year... oh god... don't make me remember it.)

Also, Jyuichi, how do you know Todd's never played FSN?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I have to ask, does Fate/Unlimited Codes have a story mode with boss fights and endings?

Yes. Each character gets an ending, though the bosses are usually just powered-up versions of other characters. It's not a story mode so much as it is an arcade mode with a few conversations, and as far as I can tell, there's only one ending per character. It's also really easy on anything but the toughest setting.

ninjaclown wrote:
Quote:
...but then I've thought for years that Tomino is hilariously terrible at everything he attempts.

I don't know, that kind of seems like a low blow.

Your post made me worried that Tomino had suddenly passed away or something, in which case mocking his directing skills would indeed be a low blow. Fortunately, I see that he's still alive.

If it helps, nothing in the mouse-over comments is to be taken completely seriously. Half the things I mock there are things I like.

Vent wrote:

...Though it's a pretty big waste of time unless you want to see how hard Todd can run the "OTAKU ARE ICKY" thing into the ground.

Well, they ARE. And covered in cooties.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
@Showsni: That's an Internet joke, not an Internet fetish. I think Todd was implying something a whole lot less wholesome... though I STILL don't want to know what it is. (I already know more than I could ever wish to about bizarre video game fetishes from a guy I was unfortunate enough to know in my freshman year... oh god... don't make me remember it.)

Also, Jyuichi, how do you know Todd's never played FSN?

He's made it pretty clear what he thinks of eroge. I doubt he would shell out $90+ for one.

EDIT spoiler[Furthermore he doesn't even know Saber's identity. Catherine the Great? Really?]
VMars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until Okamiden is released. I wish this one was for the PS3, but it's understandable since the first one didn't do so well. Maybe since it is on the DS it will gather a larger audience and then they'll release an HD sequel. Either way I'm just glad to get to explore Okami's world again.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:

He's made it pretty clear what he thinks of eroge. I doubt he would shell out $90+ for one.

EDIT spoiler[Furthermore he doesn't even know Saber's identity. Catherine the Great? Really?]

I'm sure the Catherine the Great thing was a joke. (Though it might be more believable than the truth... And it brings up questions spoiler[about Guinevere.])

Anyway, Fate Stay/Night seems to be one of those games that's an eroge just because that's what's expected; like Kanon, and Tsukihime. It's pretty much entirely superfluous to the plot and kind of shoehorned in (certainly in Sabre's route, anyway. I mean, really? That's the best excuse you could think of?).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I have to ask, does Fate/Unlimited Codes have a story mode with boss fights and endings?

Yes. Each character gets an ending, though the bosses are usually just powered-up versions of other characters. It's not a story mode so much as it is an arcade mode with a few conversations, and as far as I can tell, there's only one ending per character. It's also really easy on anything but the toughest setting.

Thanks, that's very reassuring. Only thing worse than spending $30 on a download-only game with nothing physical to show for it is hating the game afterwords.

Emerje
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:

You'll have to forgive me for saying this, but you are really coming off like a butthurt fanboy. Specifically, one without a sense of humor. 99% of what Todd writes, ESPECIALLY in the captions, is strictly tongue-in-cheek. If you haven't figured that out by now, you either have difficulty detecting and/or dealing with sarcasm, or are not at all familiar with this column. Again, sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but I'm just trying to be real with you here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Why did Todd link to that old trailer for Okamiden? Here's the new higher quality one straight off from Capcom!

I took the "beyond this column's focus" as "a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day..."

Last edited by sfried on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also Shipping: The critically hyped Scribblenauts for the DS. Looks great, but it's beyond this column's focus.

If a video game is beyond this video game column's focus, then I have to ask, what is this column's focus, if not video games?

Frankly, I only read this column, anymore, to see what information you have wrong, or simply lack, mostly for my own personal entertainment value.

For instance, the Okamiden news. You seem to think Chibiterasu is Amaterasu, even though it was explained when the game was announced that this game takes place after the first one, and that Chibiterasu is a new character, who will actually, on his journey, encounter the child of Susano, a character from the first Okami game.

I mean, seriously, if you're going to go around and collect the news and releases for this week and make a summarized version, at least do it properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4