• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Delays The Garden of Sinners DVD Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico87

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:

Can anyone find me an authorized retailer that's selling this for $189.98?

Pretty sure AoA is RS only.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Also, Sentai Filmworks released Towa-no Quon, which are 6 50-min theatrical released movies in one set for 40 dollars, on both DVD and BD with a dub, just sayin'...

And they also released Mardock Scramble: First Compression, an hour or so film that is just one of a series of films for $40 MSRP on BD and $30 MSRP on DVD. Not all that different I'd say other than the dub.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K-vu9lFNZPYUI-rX=v/browse/item/93944/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K-vu9lFNZPYUI-rX=v/browse/item/93949/4/0/0

I'm not in favor or against anything in this thread, other than people who cherry pick their arguments instead of showing both sides. Of course Sentai can sell Towa no Quon for cheap with it was a colossal dud in terms of BD/DVD sales.

Yes, but you have to remember, those Mardock Scramble releases come with two versions of the film: both the theatrical release and the director's cut. That basically doubles the run time right there, and makes the price much more justified. Plus, ya know, as you mentioned, there's also the dub to take into account.

Also, unlike Aniplex, Sentai frequently runs sales, accepts coupons, and if you're a shopper at RightStuf, allows you to use your Got Anime? membership to get a very nice discount off the original price.

So no, I would say the Mardock Scramble DVDs are a MUCH better deal, at least money wise, than the Garden of Sinners release.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
Mirri wrote:

Can anyone find me an authorized retailer that's selling this for $189.98?

Pretty sure AoA is RS only.

Nope.

They also sell their products at their own site, as well as a handful of select DVD retailers in and around the L.A. area.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Standard movies are 2 hours long (maybe 1 1/2 for ones aimed at a younger audience). These are 48, 58, 56, 50, 115, 59, 61, 121, and 35. Also, I don't know where you live, but here, DVD releases of giant Hollywood blockbusters don't go over $20. Given that all but 2 of these are half that length, I wouldn't pay more than $100, before discount.

I do have my location listed right below my name Razz

I definitely still see $30 DVD releases here and given what I've heard about the quality of these movies, I can see them being worth it. People clearly thought they were worth the price of the Bluray. But I haven't seen this one and I think we're all a bit exhausted with the whole "OMG ANIPLEX IS TOO EXPENSIVE!" debate. If it's not worth it to you then you won't buy it. But someone else will.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, that just allows me to shift budget payment until Jan. This doesn't surprise me because the price is still $150 at RS. I pre-ordered mine awhile back so it's no rush for me. Of course the library copy will be delayed as well. Apparently there was a high demand based on the notices.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Well, whatever the reason, this actually makes me VERY happy! I knew I had to have it, but wasn't quite sure how I could fit it into my budget... As long as I can get it at some point, I'm happy, and don't mind waiting Smile

Couldn't agree more, fantastic news, now i don't have to choose!!

It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Do I know you from somewhere?

This truly is some great news. Duh and or hello Aniplex: two premium releases streeting the same day is not a good idea.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Their pricing scheme still needs to go. We are not the Japanese fanbase--why make us pay an arm and a leg for our anime?

It is anticipated that the response to this question, justly asked though it was, will be that titles released by the company in question are not intended for us; their market is comprised of those whose desire to own overrules any pecuniary concerns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
You know, I thought for sure people would start complaining about getting DVDs as laughable for something of the "highest quality product" and not the cheap cardboard packaging itself... Laughing
Actually it's going to be in a chipboard box, this was confirmed a couple of times. I'm too lazy to pull one out right now, but they're finally (Took them long enough...) using chipboard on a non-copy-cat import.

Anyway, I wonder how long this delay will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manicli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well this is certainly good news, now my budget can get some relief Smile
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
You know, I thought for sure people would start complaining about getting DVDs as laughable for something of the "highest quality product" and not the cheap cardboard packaging itself... Laughing
Actually it's going to be in a chipboard box, this was confirmed a couple of times. I'm too lazy to pull one out right now, but they're finally (Took them long enough...) using chipboard on a non-copy-cat import.

Anyway, I wonder how long this delay will be.

Don't worry, it's confirmed in the interview in the big box at the top of the home page Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Well this is good news for me, because my finances this month are a little tight and I was worried I was going to have to cancel my order. I hope that the delay isn't too long though.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Their pricing scheme still needs to go. We are not the Japanese fanbase--why make us pay an arm and a leg for our anime?

It is anticipated that the response to this question, justly asked though it was, will be that titles released by the company in question are not intended for us; their market is comprised of those whose desire to own overrules any pecuniary concerns.

My only complaint is that as a non-USA/Canada resident I can't buy them Sad( I'm tempted to get a friend in the USA to buy them for me and ship them to me. Seriously these movies are a work of art, and that soundtrack ... God it's awesome!!!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
For $189.98 dolors, they better get everything right.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Great like I need to send out anymore emails to everyone about this.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
When did Aniplex USA license the blu-ray version? I thought the blu-ray sets were just imports from Japan. Perhaps, it's just a mistake on the news article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3