• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Imagi's Astro Boy Brings in US$1.8 Million on Friday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
vega427 wrote:
I doubt I'll ever see it, I can't get interested in Astro boy. Has anyone bothered to see it? Good, Okay, or Got ripped off?

I listened to a reveiw of the movie from some movie critics they all of them said it was pretty good,

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/astro-boy-audio-review
decepticons2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
How about the weak commercial. "I have machine guns in my butt."
I think thats the only thing i remember from every commercial.

But i had also read that backers of this movie had money problems. So who knows how that affected advertising and the final product. No one is probably going to say anything for awhile. Because I think these guys still want to get a few more things out there.

There animation quality is ok. But with out a big marketing blitz how are they going to apeal to a new audience. Since an older an audience may have been fonder of hand drawn over cgi.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Raygal: IMAGI had trouble just staying afloat, so I don't really blame them for not being more aggressive in their marketing push for the flick. Meatballs made money, because it was a comedy, and those types of animated films have a better chance of making money than straight adventure movies. In fact even the highest- grossing Pixar stuff still ends up making less than most of the Dreamworks ficks.

jsevakis: Yeah, I can't deny the thing being a terrible take. There's always hope kids will at least see AB on Saturday and push it up a bit, especially since Wild Things got mixed reactions, but I'm not really surprised otherwise. Despite what Craeyst is arguing, the original series is old, and characters like AB are a dime a dozen nowadays. Hell, Tezuka himself couldn't reboot the anime 20 years ago, when the nostalgia for it was probably stronger. So the new version was always going to be a tougher sell. If there's a bright side to this, hopefully, the home video release and cable broadcast of the IMAGI version will encourage some more interest in the original material and Tezuka stuff in general.

Primus: It cost $150 million, but even if it didn't, prints and advertising still put it in the red.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Seemed to me like it was marketed and advertised quite well. There are toys in stores, video games, clothing, posters, even a McDonald's Happy Meal, not to mention TV commercials on just about every channel, theater trailers and print ads. I think it just comes down to nobody being interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure most people saw this movie with a mentality of a Pixar movie like Meatballs or Monsters vs. Aliens. In that form, it failed. In the sense of a U.S. adaption of a manga/anime title it did slightly below average. If there was a Gatchaman movie or something of that sort, it probably wouldn't even break in the 500 thousands.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
It's got 47% on the Tomatometer.

Anybody know how it's done in Japan? Box Office Mojo doesn't have international figures.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
According to Box Office Japan, Astro Boy opened at #10 on the weekend of October 10th, and didn't even rank in the top 10 the following weekend.

Japanese audiences generally haven't cared for western adaptations of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
According to Box Office Japan, Astro Boy opened at #10 on the weekend of October 10th, and didn't even rank in the top 10 the following weekend.

Japanese audiences generally haven't cared for western adaptations of anime.

American audiences are even worse. Why do you think a lot of people watch anime? It's because its foreign and it makes them seem smart for watching it. It's kind of like how people who go to France won't shut up about how they went to France.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
If it makes you feel better, though, Cirque De Freak is probably the bigger flop, when you think about it, 'cus it was actually Halloween-themed, it had a bigger American fanbase from the books, and cus it should have attracted some of those Twilight peeps, and didn't. Plus, like DB:E, it was way over-budget, considering the final product. AB, at least, could go the way of Iron Giant, and find an audience on home video, but that flick is probably gonna be forgotten, remade, and/or played at retro film fests.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
This big number people are ignoring is the per screen average. For Astro Boy, it was less than $600 per screen. That's horrible. You figure on average, that's only 50-60 people paying per screen for the entire day. If the movie had only 4 showings (it probably had more in most theaters), that would only be 15 people per showing.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Regardless what we think here, Hollywood sees this as a huge flop. A $65M family film on 3000+ screens is more or less expected to do a total cume of 25-30M, and if it opens this weakly that will simply not happen. I'm hearing some blame being thrown at distributor Summit Entertainment (who is responsible for the marketing, not IMAGI); Summit is a recent entry into the theatrical game, and with a few noteworthy exceptions, has only really succeeded in marketing the Twilight franchise.

I sure haven't heard of them before, and it's interesting to see their name on the screen for the first time a couple days ago, not knowing who they are or what they'll do (since I'm out of the loop)!

Quote:
Regardless who's to blame, this is really really really bad news for Imagi, who already struggled to finish this movie before running out of cash. I would consider Gatchaman in doubt at this point. Hopefully the film will do better overseas.

We can only hope (I didn't). The international market often make or break a film in this case.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It's a 40 year old franchise. I wouldn't consider those numbers as bombing. Besides, we're in the middle of a recession. I think that figure should be downgraded.

Ponyo wasn't for cinemaphiles as it contained the voices of the pop Disney channel sibs. It was for mainstream.

Sorry, but any film in wide release opening below third place is always considered a failure, no matter how old the franchise is. Eighth is just disasterous Because at that level, there's no way the movie is going to come close to turning a profit.

Besides, the age of the franchise is no excuse. Star Trek is a 40 year old franchise, and the new Trek film was a smash hit. And Batman is a 70 year old franchise, but The Dark Knight is now the second most successful film ever made.

As for Ponyo it was a limited release film, which isn't the same standard. Disney spent much, much less on it, so it didn't matter that it didn't make much. Astro was wide release, which means a big investment by the studio; cost $65 million to make, but that's before you add in the cost of advertising and distribution, which is easily another $15 million at least.

I love the character of Astro Boy, but he hasn't really been big in the US since the mid-60's. The movie will probably do well in Japan, but the truth is that it really fails to live up to Tezuka's original vision.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
It's a 40 year old franchise. I wouldn't consider those numbers as bombing. Besides, we're in the middle of a recession. I think that figure should be downgraded.

Ponyo wasn't for cinemaphiles as it contained the voices of the pop Disney channel sibs. It was for mainstream.

Sorry, but any film in wide release opening below third place is always considered a failure, no matter how old the franchise is. Eighth is just disasterous Because at that level, there's no way the movie is going to come close to turning a profit.

Besides, the age of the franchise is no excuse. Star Trek is a 40 year old franchise, and the new Trek film was a smash hit. And Batman is a 70 year old franchise, but The Dark Knight is now the second most successful film ever made.

As for Ponyo it was a limited release film, which isn't the same standard. Disney spent much, much less on it, so it didn't matter that it didn't make much. Astro was wide release, which means a big investment by the studio; cost $65 million to make, but that's before you add in the cost of advertising and distribution, which is easily another $15 million at least.

I love the character of Astro Boy, but he hasn't really been big in the US since the mid-60's. The movie will probably do well in Japan, but the truth is that it really fails to live up to Tezuka's original vision.

No way you can compare this to Star Trek or Batman. They are still in the mainstream conscious. Astro Boy pretty much isn't in the mainstream as much unless you watch Hulu.

Judging from my limited observations of people with kids, taking them to a movie is not going to be on the list nowadays. My friend told her kids to read a book instead. No movies, internet. All cut to save money.

Was it mentioned anywhere how much Disney spent on PONYO?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people saw this movie with a mentality of a Pixar movie like Meatballs or Monsters vs. Aliens.

Lol... way to mix stuff up. Meatballs was Sony and Monsters vs. Aliens was Dreamworks. Pixar did "Up"...

As for Astro Boy, I just went and saw it today, and I personally loved it. There were probably about 50-60 people in the showing with me, which was quite surprising. Lots of parents with their kids. I think I was the only person there by myself.
But considering that I've never read the manga or watched the original anime, or that remake that came out 2002 or so (?), I just went into it expecting to be entertained by a CG movie, and I wasn't disappointed. I'll definitely be buying this when it comes out on video... whenever that ends up being.
cetriya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
I see more Domo advertisement then the 1 commercial of astroboy.

I wonder if they made a Domo movie would it turn a better profit
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3