• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Game Show II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy X-2: I have to agree with the other guys, give it some time and then come back and try to give the game a second shot. Because it is presented very poorly but it adds so much more melancholy into the original story and makes Yuna's life that much more heart wrenching.

I really loved the combat paired with the job system that they set up and the fact that they switch jobs through a magical girl transformation sequence just made my little shojo fan heart skip beats.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
I'm happy you guys were able to play Halo 4 multiplayer at all. With us suffering in the East coast with hooooorrible internet due to the problems over here as a by-product of the storm and 343's inability to understand the demand for stable servers, I can't even play multiplayer. It's a shame since most of my Halo friends I have the same problems (Midwest specifically trying to connect to East Coast) and it's unplayable outside of single player campaign.

Edit: I loved ODST. It was a game that I think was very underrated. A lot of people wanted to be a Spartan in that and I love that you weren't. Story actually mattered.

As for Final Fantasy I hated 10 with an extreme and utter passion. It's interesting that the former president who was there during the time of the Square Enix merger said it best that it was the worse decision Square has ever done in their history. 10 was indicative of it. I miss the pre-FFX days. I miss that creative team.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
It's interesting how the top selling and most popular FFs always seem to be the 'most hated'. Though I suppose that applies to any form of media.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's interesting how the top selling and most popular FFs always seem to be the 'most hated'. Though I suppose that applies to any form of media.

Honestly think it's relative when it comes to FF games. Most of the ones people loved and paid money for are the ones that most people want redone (FF 6 and FF7) and they won't for several reasons. Mostly because the team is gone and they don't want to pay the royalty rights to people who have left Square before the merger. The other is because the current team wants to sell the Squeenix version games to the point of detriment (i.e. FFXIV). They made the bed and they want to keep that going as that's the only bed they have right now. As for polls.. I ignore them simply because the demographic that is asked weren't even born when the top selling FF games were a hit. Remnds me of the current anime "best of" polls and its' all current season stuff as if that is the only thing that existed in the past years of anime.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
Well, they probably wouldn't have to pay much in the way of royalties. I doubt the creators "own" much of that work.

I know, at least on the mobile side, the reason we get so many Final Fantasy IV remakes is because Takashi Tokita (who is high up in the mobile division now, and was lead design on FFIV) has said he doesn't feel quite right about remaking other creator's works, so FFIV it is!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Honestly think it's relative when it comes to FF games. Most of the ones people loved and paid money for are the ones that most people want redone (FF 6 and FF7) and they won't for several reasons. Mostly because the team is gone and they don't want to pay the royalty rights to people who have left Square before the merger. The other is because the current team wants to sell the Squeenix version games to the point of detriment (i.e. FFXIV). They made the bed and they want to keep that going as that's the only bed they have right now. As for polls.. I ignore them simply because the demographic that is asked weren't even born when the top selling FF games were a hit. Remnds me of the current anime "best of" polls and its' all current season stuff as if that is the only thing that existed in the past years of anime.

As mentioned, royalties are nowhere near a big a deal as completely having to rework the games making the older games 3D, also FF VII wouldnt be pratical to make in HD because of the sheer size of the game, it would have a break even point of several million units, and in this era you basically have to plan out trilogies because the cost of the games are so expensive.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't listen to Dave Riley, kids. Read your graphic novels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2