• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moribito DVDs 5-6 and 7-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
LKK wrote:
Edit: After reading the review, I see that it's the reviewer who has mixed Tanda and Touya and not necessarily you. The reviewer said that Peter Doyle voiced the boy Touya. However, according to the encyclopedia Peter Doyle voiced the herbalist Tanda. Yuri Lowenthal voiced Touya. I'm not certain which voice actor the reviewer truly meant to criticize. Regardless, I stand by my opinion that Tanda was well-voiced and Touya was not so well-voiced.

Oops! I was referring to the character Tanda, although I suppose legitimate complaint might also be made about Touya, too.

Honestly, Peter Doyle hardly ever impresses me because he has the same cadence and delivery style in every role I've heard him in. That may be why he gets few major roles. He sounds an awful lot like Jim Taggert, who does Rakashun in Twelve Kingdoms, too, so much so that I thought it was the same VA. (If that's just an alias, though, then I can find no indication of it.)

No harm done Key. I guess I got them mixed up too since their names both start with T. I'm surprised I made that mistake and didn't realize it sooner.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
some of plot twists in the series are really lame... for example, nearer to the end they ruined conceptual logic of the series with stupid, poorly thought-out reminisces of main heroine, among few things where the story failures.

Um, huh? How did that story "ruin conceptual logic?" That flashback sequence was essential to establishing the foundation behind everything that Balsa does. Without it, the reasons why she agreed to risk her life for Chagum, and the reasons why she won't kill, cannot be fully understood. This had been hinted at, and set up for, the whole series prior to that point, so it was hardly a "plot twist" and the story would have been a gaping omission if it hadn't elaborated on her past.

If you want to criticize the series because you didn't like it, that's fine, but at least use criticisms that make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Few shows trigger the berserk button on me faster than Moribito. The show itself is bad enough, but every aspect of it's airing borders on headbanging. Remember, this is the show that was doing so horribly, Kim Manning flew to Japan to ensure the rest of the show could play on Adult Swim, rather than just burying the stupid thing.

I don't think I would hate this show as much as if it didn't symbolize the death of Adult Swim Action.

Are you criticizing AS for trying to air Moribito? Do a little research. Kim Manning made the trip to Japan for Moribito because of rights issues tied to Geneon owning it and then shutting down. AS kinda got caught in the middle of it during their airing of Moribito, with them only having 10 episodes before the Rights Tape went up. When Geneon downsized, the rights went back to Japan, so AS had to do some fiddling to get the rights to Media Blasters to get the rest dubbed for airing.

So Moribito's problems on AS had nothing to do with ratings and quality, and all to do with confusing rights issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
It was ok. Nothing really happened in it,

Not being an action show is not the same as nothing happening. If you think nothing happened, you weren't paying much attention.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Moribito is a slice of fried gold!

When people groan or roll their eyes about anime, or if they're new to the genre, this is the kind of quality show I want to point them towards!

Having read the book it's based on, this very well animated and superbly written, character driven series improved upon the novel greatly! I only wish more shows of this caliber were the norm, not the cookie cutter dross mostly being made now.

I was especially impressed with the series lead, Balsa. When was the last time you watched an anime with such a fierce, strongly independent and dynamic lead (with depth) who didn't pander, or wasn't fan service fluff, or harem bait for some sexist otaku fantasy?

I could gush on and on about what was done so well here (the characters, the DUB, the animation, the fight sequences, the depth and maturity of the story, etc. etc.), but I won't. This is simply a remarkable example of what and how great Anime can be, should we choose to support it. For me, I'm doing my part; this is going in the collection.

With the likes of Cowboy Bebop, the GitS series and movies, Samurai Champloo, and others, I'll happily watch this series many times again in the future.

As for Adult Swim and Cartoon Network, they have none to blame but themselves. Outside of the Venture Bros. and a few other shows, their current programing is junk. I'll never forgive them for killing Harvey Birdman *sob*
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
...t doesn't surprise me that the Adult Swim ratings weren't that great. Look at the weeknight Adult Swim programming, and it is pretty obvious they aren't about art. It probably would have done better on Syfy, where there is less of a frat boy audience.

The current AS audience would rather be watching Jersey Shore or something similar *shudder*
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
For what it's worth, there's something I didn't like about the flashback episode either. spoiler[I actually found it interesting that Balsa was trying to redeem herself for killing people, but they threw that away (Jiguro killed them instead) and half of the emotional baggage with it.]

You were missing the point there, I think. spoiler[Even though Balsa didn't technically kill them herself, she still felt completely responsible for their deaths since Jiguro had to kill them because of her.]

Anyway, complaints against have mostly been what I expected. Even though I thought the pacing was perfect for what the story was doing, I could definitely see how some would get bored by it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: I understood the part and I don't agree.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Moribito deserves praise and I am glad it is getting it here. Some people don't like it, and that can't be helped. Some people rate Naruto a masterpiece as well, and that can't be helped either. Except for a little help of Dan's handy work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Key wrote:
You were missing the point there, I think. spoiler[Even though Balsa didn't technically kill them herself, she still felt completely responsible for their deaths since Jiguro had to kill them because of her.]

Anyway, complaints against have mostly been what I expected. Even though I thought the pacing was perfect for what the story was doing, I could definitely see how some would get bored by it.

No, I understood that part. I just didn't like that part much, is all (just a nitpicker's opinion, maybe), but thanks for the suggestion. I bet some other people may have missed the point on it, though.

Actually, what I think you are missing is that spoiler[Balsa did kill people, as a bodyguard. A lot of people. Until two years prior when she'd had a conversation with Tanda (who basically had berated her) about how she was killing as many people as she was saving, and so she decided to stop killing entirely and devote herself to the cause of saving these eight lives. I think that particular "flashback" would have been just as interesting to watch, personally. Too bad we didn't get to].
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Key wrote:

No, I understood that part. I just didn't like that part much, is all (just a nitpicker's opinion, maybe), but thanks for the suggestion. I bet some other people may have missed the point on it, though.
in the book it's mentioned spoiler[that the people Jiguro killed to save Balsa were his friends and allies. she feels guilt that he had to kill his friends to save her.] that also becomes a bit of a plot point in the second Moribito novel (Guardian of the Darkness), that there was a bit of covert maneuvering for political reasons to cause that to happen.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% with Fiction Alchemist. I think my interest began to flag once it became clear that spoiler[there were no bad guys and everyone was going to end up working together for a common cause]. The show was sporadically interesting until the end, but I couldn't help but feel it was a little anti-climactic. In the final fight, spoiler[no one dies or even gets injured, besides Tanda getting a little scrape when he fights the La Lunga].

That being said, I did care about the characters to a degree; I just think that the show had that recognizable mark of "adapted from a stuffy fantasy novel" that prevented the characters from being more alive and relateable as they are in most animé.

But it is definitely one of the most gorgeous series I've ever seen. And those action scenes were amazing! I also got a kick out of seeing a sort of pseudo-Heian era (am I right?) Japan, as I don't get to see very many shows with that setting.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Moribito deserves praise and I am glad it is getting it here. Some people don't like it, and that can't be helped. Some people rate Naruto a masterpiece as well, and that can't be helped either. Except for a little help of Dan's handy work.

Back when I watched it I didn't find anything aspiring or inspiring. But right now, I do realize that it was a good anime, and after reading the review I truly feel like giving this anime another chance. I left it at episode 16, by the way.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
some of plot twists in the series are really lame... for example, nearer to the end they ruined conceptual logic of the series with stupid, poorly thought-out reminisces of main heroine, among few things where the story failures.

Um, huh? How did that story "ruin conceptual logic?" That flashback sequence was essential to establishing the foundation behind everything that Balsa does. Without it, the reasons why she agreed to risk her life for Chagum, and the reasons why she won't kill, cannot be fully understood. This had been hinted at, and set up for, the whole series prior to that point, so it was hardly a "plot twist" and the story would have been a gaping omission if it hadn't elaborated on her past.

If you want to criticize the series because you didn't like it, that's fine, but at least use criticisms that make sense.

i never said that the series was lame because of the fact that reminiscences were included in it... i said the quality of those reminiscences was lame... so i would require an apology from you for calling criticism not making sense...

spoiler[ stupid twist in the reminiscences was that when heroine's father got the threats, instead of fleeing with her daughter (and possibly with his friend for protection) right away he agreed to commit crime, poisoning good and innocent person, and then sent her daughter fleeing anyway, but not with her father, himself, but with different person...

so we have here lame attempt to artificially dramatize the story with suicidal choices that product of imbecile thought of scenarists...

another stupid twist in the series was when heroes learn that prince will die from claws of invisible monster, instead of allowing the child to leave the rest of his lifetime with his parents in the palace they come up with pointless and cruel towards feelings of the child adventure in the form of parentless life in dark damp cave...

thus we have yet another lame excuse to inflate dramatism by scenarists... ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3