• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Aya Hirano to Use Twitter for 1 Day Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Wow, how entirely pointless.

I was about to say the same thing. Really, what is the point of doing this?

I just don't understand some people anymore.

And it's only for one day. After that, are they gonna delete her account, especially if she's not gonna be using it? Then all her followers would just go by the wayside, so what's the point of "friending" her account? All those numbers will all just disappear.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
LordRobin wrote:
In other words, she'll send messages to her manager, and he'll decide whether they'll be tweeted or not. Or hell, maybe the manager will actually write the tweets himself. Seriously, can you imagine a mainstream Japanese pop idol being allowed to interact directly with fans, with no oversight?

Yeah in Japan, it's the reverse. The talent agency owns the "tarento," instead of the celebrity hiring a talent agency to represent him/her. "You don't hire them; they hire you. You're not the owner of your career; you're the employee."

Sounds identical to the US.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
LordRobin wrote:
In other words, she'll send messages to her manager, and he'll decide whether they'll be tweeted or not. Or hell, maybe the manager will actually write the tweets himself. Seriously, can you imagine a mainstream Japanese pop idol being allowed to interact directly with fans, with no oversight?

Yeah in Japan, it's the reverse. The talent agency owns the "tarento," instead of the celebrity hiring a talent agency to represent him/her. "You don't hire them; they hire you. You're not the owner of your career; you're the employee."

Sounds identical to the US.

Sounds identical to Disney. Once you get outside of the canned pop stars there's a bit more variance, according to my understanding-- not that the music industry of ANY country is in any way shape or form my expertise @_o;

Plus, in the US we force our stars to at least pretend to have souls. I remember a group interview with an idol that I never wound up publishing because the content was so worthless. One of the other people asked a question about how Japan's climate is currently all about "change" thanks to their recent shift in government, so was she doing anything to try and change her world, etc. In the US that would be a great excuse for some soundbite-- for the celeb to pimp a cause if they have one, or just to say something about how they just want to change the world by making people smile or some other such nonsense.

This girl completely blanked. I can't be sure the translation of the question was any good, but she just looked really confused and in the end her manager stepped in. People in Japan don't expect an idol to be worried about something like that, I think. But in the US that's absolutely the kind of question we ask of our music, TV, and movie stars.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why voice actors in Japan think they are so important, meh.

Voice actors in the US are just normal people, and most of their attempts at singing are mediocre at best. I would assume it isn't much different in Japan.

Plus I don't even watch Japanese dubs, never even heard of most of them...
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
For one day only? lolz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
I don't understand why voice actors in Japan think they are so important, meh.

It's because the Japanese fans appreciate their voice actors, unlike a lot of American fans. Hell, a lot of American fans obsess over the Japanese VA's just like their native fans. It all basically becomes ego fuel, which then becomes money since they milk the fans for all they can. If American fans treated American VA's like the Japanese do, Vic Mignogna would be selling a load of CD's and Laura Bailey would have a nice side career.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Twitter is devil. IS DEVIL!!! Run for lives! LIVES!!!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
If American fans treated American VA's like the Japanese do, Vic Mignogna would be selling a load of CD's and Laura Bailey would have a nice side career.

I don't think it'd be that simple. The line between actor and singer in the US is a little more clear-cut and harder to cross. Japan tends to get more utility from its talent.

I agree that Hirano's tweets are probably going to go through a "filter". However, I'm guessing that she's smart enough to play the game and wouldn't try tweeting anything weird. Intelligence and wisdom are supposed to be anathema to idol stars, who are symbols of fleeting youth.
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
SHE HAS A NEW TWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
In reality most idols are air heads who only got their positions because their parents/relatives were rich or had influence in the industry.

Few make it on talent alone.
meichuu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who finds it funny that the vast majority of her followers have profile pics of either an anime character, or something that isn't their actual face?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
She must really be ok with otaku stalkers. (sarcasm) =p
RedZ1900

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
OMG OMG did you HEAR?? Aya took a shit TODAY at Mcdonalds. This is SO news worthy... NOT. This article is so pointless. Who cares if she uses twitter. It must SUCK being a celebrity because each and every aspect of their Life is being watched over by people who think celebrities doing regular everyday things is Newsworthy. Mad
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Seriously, can you imagine a mainstream Japanese pop idol being allowed to interact directly with fans, with no oversight?

Yes I can; there was the time Mayu Watanabe commandeered one of AKB48's sub-accounts and shit just got weird.
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
pf91rodman wrote:
OMG OMG did you HEAR?? Aya took a shit TODAY at Mcdonalds. This is SO news worthy... NOT. This article is so pointless. Who cares if she uses twitter. It must SUCK being a celebrity because each and every aspect of their Life is being watched over by people who think celebrities doing regular everyday things is Newsworthy. Mad

yeah I doubt she's doing this because she wants to. Her agents are probably forcing her to do this just for publicity. Hell for all we know it might not even be her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4