• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Higurashi so I decided to check this out. I thought Megumi was rather annoying but it seems to be one of the better shows this season, so I'll keep watching.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
hockey stick wrote:
Player No. 3 wrote:
hockey stick wrote:
Or maybe I just decided early on that I would give her a chance to develop before writing her of as an a-hole.

Hey, I'm totally willing to give her a chance; this is just my first impressions of her in the first episode. If that's what the writer's were going for, then good. I'm predicting she will have a character arc considering that she appears in the OP sequence.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack you Very Happy
It's just that when I started watching I thought "wow, she's a bi**h" but also "I wonder why". That's when I decided I wanted to give her a chance and I think the show explained well enough, apart from her attitude towards her friend.

Nah, don't worry about it. Besides, it's good to see other opinions of characters. If anything else, it helps reevaluate my original impression of Megumi, but I'm holding out for a couple more episodes.
sacchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The novel was truly creepy. Ono's writing style was dark and gloomy (much more so than her style for Twelve Kingdoms), and it was slow reading but addictive, too.

The manga and now the anime totally destroys the atmosphere the original novel had, with those character designs. When I was reading the novel, the pictures I had playing in my mind were all very dark, more in the Blade of the Immortal vein than Hoshin Engi.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
I like the manga and can't read the novel, so I plan on hanging around with the anime for a while. I've been looking forward to watching this one for a while. Megumi, I dislike a lot from what I've seen of her in the manga. I do like Yuuki, Seishin, and Dr. Ozaki, though.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
Hmm, complaints about shallowness after 1 episode? Really? Talk about high standards. Besides that's more like annoyance than anything else.

I liked the first episode. The art is alright, the character design is different and likable, and there are plenty of characters.

Megumi didn't annoy me or anything. I thought it was a good change to see a character like that. I liked the way she walked around city on her fancy clothes - never mind that city being one of the most rural cities I've ever seen (even more than Higurashi's) - and the way the tractor got her clothes dirty.
The good thing is that it's been one episode and I already feel like I know everything there was to know about her. If that's the plan - to present the character and move on to the plot or other characters - it's been really well executed.

Opening: nothing groundbreaking like the first Higurashi's, but definitely not generic.

No complaints. A good introductory episode. However "superior" the source material may be hardly matters to me, as that's not what I'm watching; besides it's been just one episode and nothing really creepy presented so far. I believe I had the same mindset about Higurashi at first, and look how it turned out.

Lastly, damn glad I enjoyed it. I don't think any of the other shows is on par with this one's potential.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Ok my thoughts , when they mentioned the creepy western styled house, my throughts went directly to spoiler[vampires], that guy from the moving van, his hair reminded me of spoiler[Henry from Karin (another vampire).] She goes to creepy house and spoiler[sees is being watched somehow, again vampires], and finally after being spoiler[found near dead and aparent "anemia], how am I suposed to think anything other then spoiler[vampires.] Then checked the encyclopedia page and my suspisions were spoiler[proven corect by the synopsis as there are vampires. I thought this was suposed to be a mystery but at the moment the mystery looks like vampires travelling around, and killing people, and Megumi looks like she may join.]

I can understand that Megumi could be seen as really anoying, but I think to an extent her additude is understandable, she feels like she is stuck there when she could be off somewhere amazing. Of course the way she goes about it is not nice, but what is the deal with that guy, looks like he hated her for no reason and spoiler[didn't even care that she died.]

I will continue to watch.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
A rather unimpressive first episode. Occult Academy was a lot more scary than Shiki and that's saying something. Right now I'm hoping that spoiler[Megumi will return as a vampire].
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Occult Academy was a lot more scary than Shiki and that's saying something.

... that our senses are different? I thought Occult Academy was some sort of horror parody, so thinking of it as scary would be like laughing during dramatic scenes (I'm guilty of that so I don't blame ya).
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
... that our senses are different? I thought Occult Academy was some sort of horror parody, so thinking of it as scary would be like laughing during dramatic scenes (I'm guilty of that so I don't blame ya).

I meant it's ironic that a parody is more 'scary' than a series labeled as "horror". Even though the setting of Shiki is a Higurashi ripoff, it lacks the eerie atmosphere and the synopsis already says who the killers are. There goes all the mystery.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Well, we don't know who killed the villagers though. As for Megumi, I think she'll spoiler[come back to life], otherwise she wouldn't be part of the main cast, would she? I recommend paying attention to the opening, it could be pretty informative.
"Setting is a ripoff", you say? As much as I liked Higurashi I can't see it that way. Horror happening in secluded places is no one's original anymore.
But I don't get it. First you accuse it of ripping off, and then you expect it to be the same way as what, according to you, is the victim of a copycat in this case?

Sure, if all the mystery is gone, then I suppose you've already figured out what this is about. No point in watching it any further.
After all, it would be rather ironic to continue watching a mystery show that no longer offers mystery, wouldn't it?
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
You should note that "secluded place" can refer to more than just a small Japanese town in the mountains. If this kind of setting was common in anime then it would be fine, but it's not. That's why I called it a ripoff.
It's unclear what you think I'm expecting. The eerie atmosphere? Kara no Kyoukai has that without having to copy the setting.
Also no, I'm not dropping this show without seeing at least 4 or 5 episodes. It may seem unimpressive now, but it's still better than all but four of the anime airing this season.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You should note that "secluded place" can refer to more than just a small Japanese town in the mountains.

I'm sorry, but horror taking place in a secluded Japanese village is by no means original to Higurashi (familiar with Japanese legends at all?). Perhaps you could propose something different? Like the other hundred vampire stories taking place in European countries, or murder stories happening in small American cities.
Quote:
It's unclear what you think I'm expecting.

Something like Higurashi, but not that like Higurashi. That's pretty much the message I get.

Allow me to explain:
Quote:
Even though the setting of Shiki is a Higurashi ripoff, it lacks the eerie atmosphere [present in Higurashi] and the synopsis already says who the killers are [unlike in Higurashi]. There goes all the mystery [,mystery that Higurashi kept well until the very end].
Stopped to think that perhaps that wasn't the mystery they are going to focus on?

Well, never mind that you're expecting a series with one episode released so far to live up to titles like Higurashi and Kara no Kyoukai. I seriously fear the day I reach such a level.
___
Quote:
It may seem unimpressive now, but it's still better than all but four of the anime airing this season.

Another exaggerated claim. Since it's a touchy subject, I'd recommend checking the overall scores on the preview page. At the very least, that includes the ratings of a few professionals on the area, which, in my view, is a lot more reliable than yours.
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
Shiki (at least the original novel) is less about "the spoiler[vampires] are attacking us--who's going to be the next victim?" creepiness than a story of psychological struggle and choices people have to make. (spoiler[Can you really kill off a person you love in cold blood just because he/she "woke up from the dead"? ]) The choices are harder because virtually everyone in the town have known each other all their lives and many have strong ties to the land itself (so moving out isn't even an option for most people living there).

One of the contributory essays included at the end of the Shiki novel mentions that Ono wrote the story as an homage to Stephen King's Salem's Lot, but the two stories fundamentally differ in mindset, which probably reflect the differences between the two cultures.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Even though the setting of Shiki is a Higurashi ripoff...
The Shiki novel -- which the manga is an adaption of, and the manga also serves as the basis for the anime -- came out in 1998. The first Higurashi game came out in 2002.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'm sorry, but horror taking place in a secluded Japanese village is by no means original to Higurashi (familiar with Japanese legends at all?)

Here's what I actually said.
Miranox wrote:
If this kind of setting was common in anime then it would be fine, but it's not. That's why I called it a ripoff.

I didn't say it was original to Higurashi nor would I ever make such statements unless I already saw every anime in existence. Anyway, if the Shiki novel was published in 1998 then this argument should end here.

egoist wrote:
Stopped to think that perhaps that wasn't the mystery they are going to focus on?

Yes.

egoist wrote:
Well, never mind that you're expecting a series with one episode released so far to live up to titles like Higurashi and Kara no Kyoukai. I seriously fear the day I reach such a level.

Another thing I did not say nor imply. Kara no Kyoukai was just an example. I didn't say I expect Shiki to be like that.

egoist wrote:
Another exaggerated claim. Since it's a touchy subject, I'd recommend checking the overall scores on the preview page. At the very least, that includes the ratings of a few professionals on the area, which, in my view, is a lot more reliable than yours.

If you mean the summer 2010 preview guide, Shiki got a 4, a 4.5, two more 4's and a another 4.5. Since they are on 5, those are pretty high ratings. Only Highschool of the Dead and Occult Academy got comparable ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 41