• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love and Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Maria-sama ga Miteru was that I kept waiting for the episode where Sachiko led Yumi into her Lesbian Torture Dungeon. Not that I am a huge fan of that, but I always felt this weird vibe in the series that something like that was going to happen.
kewldude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Quote:
Is all of One Piece like this? In another 100 episodes will they still be finding islands and solving problems?

Yes. The next few hundred episodes in fact. I finally quit reading the manga after the Thriller Bark arc. Apparently there are some "big things" that happen afterward that involve the World Goverment, but at that point I pretty much way past the point of caring.

And Oda says the story may not even be 60% (or whatever) done.

Right now I'm just wondering how far along we have to go before One Piece becomes the punchline Dragon Ball Z eventually became...

Yeah, I gave up years ago. Stopped reading right after the arc with Arlong and stopped watching once they got to that country in the desert. It was just getting so stupid and derivative. My friend told me it has since gotten better but I couldn't care less. Imo One Piece is just so overrated.

Well, in that case, I have to admit that you are terribly in the wrong. I highly suggest that you give it another chance, as once you go further ahead, especially to around the 250ep mark your going to find yourself watching and loving one of the most amazing and well written stories ever told.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Because Japan is more accepting of homosexual relationships than America and Europe are?

What do I win? Laughing

You win this.

Because as a country, no, it isn't. In fiction is one thing, in real life, no. Not at all. Read some stuff written by actual Japanese homosexuals. If same-sex friendships are highly valued, it's the same thing as in the past: men and women still have trouble relating as equals. You're still expected to "grow out of it" into a straight relationship when you're older.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
LOL, Japanese game shows. Punish ignorance!

Anyway, I apologize vash. Clearly I failed to communicate my sarcasm.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I've been tempted to start One Piece, but the art style has kept me from starting it.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I've never been full-on tempted by One Piece, but I do often pause to read over discussions about it because of comments like kewldude's above. I arrive at the same place though: my eyes don't want to watch hundreds of episodes of that art style, no matter how epic the story may get.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Is there a Dragonball musical yet? Naruto, Bleach and One Piece have had them so I figured....

There was a Dragonball stage show that played in Argentina in 1999
http://dbdensetsu.freeservers.com/teatro.htm
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I've been tempted to start One Piece, but the art style has kept me from starting it.

You totally should! Funi's dub is the beans... now, if only Netflix would start carrying newly released anime again instead of listing everything as "save" indefinitely... My "save" queue is overflowing with several dozen newly released anime series/titles (and even older titles as well).

Regardless, it's got some really great arcs; the show is surprisingly/wonderfully addictive.

Lenks wrote:
What's a whoopie pie? =o

Are you kidding me? After you eat your first (and the following dozen you bought), you'll wonder why you'd never had one before -they're that good.

"You don't know what s'mores are? You're killin' me, Smalls!"

Erin wrote:
If I was ever going to cosplay again (probably not), I want to dress as Nico Robin. She doesn't get enough air time in this arc of One Piece, but maybe she'll get a bigger role in the next set.

I couldn't agree more. And Stephanie Young just makes me swoon.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Quote:
I thought this show didn't take place in the present for some reason, so it was weird to see the characters in modern clothes.
No cellphones, Can you imagine a real girl's school with no cellphones? That's how you can tell its a fantasy series.

Maybe school rules prohibit it? Seems like the kind of place that would do something like that.

kewldude wrote:
redranger wrote:
Stopped reading right after the arc with Arlong and stopped watching once they got to that country in the desert. It was just getting so stupid and derivative. My friend told me it has since gotten better but I couldn't care less. Imo One Piece is just so overrated.

Well, in that case, I have to admit that you are terribly in the wrong. I highly suggest that you give it another chance, as once you go further ahead, especially to around the 250ep mark your going to find yourself watching and loving one of the most amazing and well written stories ever told.

Two-hundred and fifty?

That's taking abuse of "it gets better!" to a whole new level!

I couldn't stand to watch any more than 80 and I still can't remember how I managed it.

The sixth movie is quite good, though.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

You know, I always hear that and I'm like "I was able to get over that pretty easily." At a certain point you begin to love the art style and besides, as the show goes on it begins to evolve itself (aka, different animators). I think One Piece is always worth the watch.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Right now I'm just wondering how far along we have to go before One Piece becomes the punchline Dragon Ball Z eventually became...

Well, considering that One Piece is more popular now than ever before, and continually breaks records with each and every new volume of manga that's released, I'd say it may be a while yet.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-12/one-piece-no.57-manga-gets-record-3-million-print-run

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-17/one-piece-no.57-is-fastest-manga-to-sell-2-million

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-31/one-piece-dvd/bds-earn-2.16-billion-yen-in-1-week
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Quote:
I thought this show didn't take place in the present for some reason, so it was weird to see the characters in modern clothes.
No cellphones, Can you imagine a real girl's school with no cellphones? That's how you can tell its a fantasy series.
Maybe school rules prohibit it? Seems like the kind of place that would do something like that.
Can't remember where I read it, but I think that's the author, I do know that Erica Friedman has said:
Quote:
The author of Maria-sama ga Miteru has explicitly labeled her series as fantasy.
... and I'm guessing I got the cell-phone remark from an elaboration of that in another setting.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
LOL, Japanese game shows. Punish ignorance!

Anyway, I apologize vash. Clearly I failed to communicate my sarcasm.

No, it's cool, I've had the same thing happen. I find a Wink helps a lot, but sarcasm is the hardest sentiment to express in text.

But thank you for giving me an opportunity to post that clip, it's one of my favorites. Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is all of One Piece like this? In another 100 episodes will they still be finding islands and solving problems?

As a person who has been reading and watching One Piece for several years and considers it a one of kind masterpiece like Dragon Ball, to answer your no.

With all due respect, Luffy isn't entirely like Goku. He can't just use instant transmission and can't fly either, so the only method is to use a ship. The Island arc does eventually end, but ends at the right time.

Remember, Luffy's crew are peace pirates and that means that type of pirate go after treasure (gold) and adventure. If there were problems to be solved, it was because they were important to that arc or a character in particular.

Bluntly speaking even though I really enjoy watching most shonen anime, if all that happened in a show was noting but action without little breaks in between (meaning side quests, character centric episodes) eventually the series may become unintentionally overly serious when that isn't the case. And that can make or break a series.

As for Dragon Ball Kai, the theme song is truly exceptional and the English audio is as exceptional as the original Dragon Ball Z audio, maybe even better. The Blu Ray version is significantly much better than the regular version, but that is just me. But with all given respect, I think DBZ K is more shelf worthly than rental worthy. The voice actors are seriously giving their all and aren't messing around either. Plus, re watching the Vegeta arc can be very fun to see how much he grew through out the series and because the battles are so intense, watching again is sometimes more fun than the first time.

But if your expecting One Piece to remain precisely the same for another 100 episodes, that is extremely far from being accurate.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Two-hundred and fifty?

That's taking abuse of "it gets better!" to a whole new level!

I couldn't stand to watch any more than 80 and I still can't remember how I managed it.

The sixth movie is quite good, though.

actually it really picks up after/during the Arlong arc, and then each passing arc gets better and better until skypeia then after its probably one of the best Shounen arcs ever.

thats what the person you quoted was referring to, the water 7 arc is not only undoubtedly the best One Piece arc, its the best arc in modern Shounen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4