• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Something Sinistral

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Todd, in regards to your question about covering western titles, I'd rather see something like what you did with Costume Quest: cover the smaller hidden gems that might get lost in the wake of big-name releases. After all, no one really needs you to tell them that Modern Warfare: Elite Reflex Purple Ops Grenade Sandwich Squad is coming out. Those big titles get so much hype that it would be redundant to mention them in X Button; everyone who wants to know about them already does.

This column has been great for giving attention to titles that would otherwise be overlooked. It should continue doing that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
You missed the biggest news. Atlus announced Persona 2: Innocent Sin for PSP in Famitsu today!

Holy crap is right? This is big news. Won't be long before they do Eternal Punishment. Gawd, I still have the original 'P:EP' on PS1. A friend left it to me [or should I say gave it] and I still have not played it. I want to mainly because I want to get into what made this franchise great. I just recently purchased the first Persona on PSP. So if 'P:IS' manages to make it stateside, then I'm going to have to consider picking it up.

Kirby games are always fun. Though I've never played one.

I'm debating whether I should pick up 'Lufia II'. I never had the chance of playing the old SNES release. But as long as it's not changed so much from the original release. But if you can vouch for it then I'm there. It will be one SNES game that I never had the chance of playing.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
The Muppet Show link was completely unexpected and made my day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe Namco will let bitter Symphonia fans watch her aged demise.

Ouch, geez. Even though Collete was my least favorite party member aside from Regal, not to mention spoiler[I shipped Lloyd/Sheena, but Collette winning didn't upset me that much], I still thought she was a good character as was everyone (Regal as well). Some of her special attacks are cool-looking as well.

I actually finally started Tales of the Abyss yesterday, and really enjoying it so far. Though I have mixed feelings about Luke so far, his attitude is funny most of the time, but occasionally he comes off as too much of a jerk. Tear is great so far though.

I have never played any of the Fallout games, and based on what I've heard I'm really missing out. I'll get to them, eventually.......

About 1/3rd of the way into the game or more this should be rectified. I won't spoil what happens, but needless to say that Luke becomes a much more likable and 'good' (read: better developed) character over time.

Just keep with it, it's definitely one of the best Tales games ever, with Vesperia following behind it and Symphonia after. If you get the chance, you've gotta give Vesperia a try in the future, as while it doesn't have the great story ever, it's got good character and most importantly, a GREAT combat system.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
B.K. wrote:
You missed the biggest news. Atlus announced Persona 2: Innocent Sin for PSP in Famitsu today!

Holy crap is right? This is big news. Won't be long before they do Eternal Punishment.

From the article I read (forget where, I think it was RPGFan.com's source), the director wants to do EP, but there's not currently any plans. It sounds like he originally wanted to do both as one game, because he pointed out that both on one UMD was "impossible".

They also said that there's gonna be some new animation scenes, and that the opening animation is being done by the studio that did Macross Frontier. And that they were reusing the original music.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I also vote for sticking with coverage for Japanese games and the occasional quirky/under-represented Western game only. Anyone who wants to read about Fallout or Halo can visit every other game site on the web. I really enjoy that I can read The X Button and have a nice condensed dose of the games I'm much more interested in.

And I really need to try Costume Quest.. it sounds adorable and I love that there is a gender option for the main character. Fun stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for the Fist Of The North Star game. I know it's in Dynasty Warriors style so it won't be that good but I'll take what I can get for FOTNS in North America.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, on the subject of Western games...

I agree with everyone else, keep the quirky ones and don't cover the mainstream ones. However, I wouldn't mind, at the bottom of the "This Week's Releases" section, just having a list (title, company, system, MSRP) of Western releases. Just so that people can have a list of other games coming out. I wouldn't say to include every Western game on the list (like sports games), just ones that have a higher likelyhood of appealing to fans of anime and/or Japanese games.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for ditching Western game coverage here as I never understood why it was necessary on a Japanese pop culture centric site to cover them...

Great news about Persona 2 coming at last, and I heard that Way of the Samurai 4 for PS3 was announced as well, also welcome as I loved the last game.

Last Story continues to look great, but I wish Nintendo would hurry up and say whether it was likely to appear outside Japan or not. They were quick enough to crap on the dreams of Fatal Frame fans last year, so what's holding them back now one way or the other?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
The Muppet Show link was completely unexpected and made my day.

I had that as one of my ringtones. Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Before I start, I'd just like to answer your question: no I don't want well-known and heavily advertised games covered, because they're usually the kind of garbage I can't stand seeing any more of than I have to.

Last Story: Everyone is trying to staying hopeful for a stateside release, but time will tell. I can see this one coming here. It has the elements of an RPG that would work here (at least I hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath). The art and gameplay seem pretty cool for the most part.

Venus & Braves: Tales cameos lol. Since their studio is suffering from financial problems currently, they have to find a way to sell. So naturally they'll put popular (I know, Colette and popular in the same sentence?) characters in to haul in the buyers. Leon and Yuri are high on the Tales polls, but I didn't know Colette was that high up (she did appear in just about every Tales gaiden game, so I guess that's saying something). Interesting premise though. You actually watch your own team grow old and die? That's unique, if not a bit dark.

Lufia: Ah memories! I can remember renting the first game constantly and then later on buying Lufia 2, obsessively playing it over and over. It's funny how each game retained the Lufia title, when it was the first game that had Lufia in it. I know the series is supposed to be called Estopolis, but considering localization teams were pretty stupid back then (they probably thought naming an RPG series after your girlfriend was cool or something, like Zelda hint hint), I can't change years of history now. In any case, Todd's biting review aside, I would get this in a heartbeat if I only had a DS. I really want to see the new Tia as well as all the other changes they'e made. This must be one unique port. The original Lufia 2 was full of unique twists for its time and I suppose dumbing Selan's character down from warrior to worrisome wife is an insult to strong female leads in games today, but it's still one of the best RPGs I ever played back then. I still own my copy along with every other awesome SNES RPG I played in the 90s. I never did play the Legend Lives and I played and finished Ruins of Lore, which was awful, no doubts about that. Lufia's series, like so many, just went under the radar and this recent revival could be a new step for it.

KEY: It's funny you mention this one now, I completed it 100% already on Sunday. Great game though, totally worth it. Don't be put off by the fact Kirby's games are short (they generally are), this was one well spun adventure (hee hee, unfunny pun). I'm sure everyone heard about the fiasco that Fluff was supposed to be the the hero and how this was supposed to be an entirely new game instead of a Kirby game. While I admit taking Fluff's limelight might have been typical of Nintendo and its odd thinking patterns, Kirby really needed to jump onto the next gen console at some point, especially since everyone complained about his recent DS games.

PokePark: Pokemon sucks, enough said.

Oath in Felghana: I have never been into Ys much but seeing as it's starting to get more exposure here, I think it might be a good time to start. I know there was that recent Ys with the party of three battle system and I was tempted to get it, but I can't since I just recently acquired P3P. I wonder if I'll ever start a Ys game again.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly The Last Story is trademarked in NA and EU, so I'd say it has pretty good chances of coming over. Plus I don't think Sakaguchi would want to disappoint his fans.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The more I hear and see of the Last Story, the more I want to play it. It looks like Mistwalker's most ambitious project yet, where as Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were by-the-book RPGs, Last Story really looks like it's taking some chances with its gameplay.

The new FOTNS demo was pretty nice. I liked the graphics and finishing moves, but I'll take it for what it is once the price goes down. The Raging Blast 2 demo on the other hand felt like more of the same DB shovelware for the past 3-4 years. That new animation and the inclusion of Tarble is pretty nice.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
As long as the focus stays on Japanese games I'm fine with whatever Western games you choose to cover regardless of how well covered they are.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound like a broken record, but I agree with most everyone else. Ditch the coverage on huge Western releases. Really, this was a perfect example of what I think X-Button should be: short articles about cool lesser-known titles like Costume Quest, with bigger ones very briefly mentioned such as Fable and Fallout.

That DBZ comment was hilarious! "Hey, isn't that the blonde dude from Dragonball Z?" "There's a lot of those Dad. Which one?" "The one with the pointy hair and big eyes" *sigh*

Although I've come to the realization that every new DBZ game is essentially the same thing, the fact that Rise of the Saiyans got an English release is pretty neat. Also, I'm somewhat ashamed that I had to look up Hatchiyack. My DBZ knowledge must be getting rusty....

(Also, I'm pumped for the Persona 2 remake! I hope Todd discusses it in detail next week.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3