• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Out With The Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nokishoff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Retracted

Last edited by nokishoff on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, for God's sakes, everyone in the industry knew that Geneon was taking a savage beating for years, but it wasn't until long after the company collapsed that Zac and Justin were able to get Chad Kime on the record on ANNcast to specifically state which titles failed and why.

Just wondering... does it go against ANN policy to report anything about a company or its titles if the company has not released the information in an official press release or in an interview? I'm not saying ANN should be like The Enquirer or anything, but obviously ANN's staffers know some inside information because they rub elbows with people in the industry. (Like the Geneon example.) ANN reporters can't write things that state, "An employee from Viz, who wishes to remain anonymous states that..." or "Sources indicate that..." like they do in other entertainment journals?

Not an attack, just something I've been wondering about for a while...
batou37

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
If I had to guess (and I am guessing of course so I could be way off the mark) I think that its because that ANN is run by true fans of anime. Saying things like that, while it might get readers to read more, would lessen their access to anything that they have currently, and also could actually cause damage to the sadly at this time fragile industry that we rely on for our fix. Most magazines, newspapers, etc.. seem to be more interested with ratings, #'s sold, and popularity instead of just supporting something that they truly enjoy, which I think is more the case of ANN.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
If the show/whatever other item is something I know I want and will buy when it comes out, I preorder it even if it dont have a release date. What's the harm really, you dont get charged for it until it ships. Unless you maybe think you wont have the $$ available when they finally do ship it.

For me this makes for some nice surprises at times. Once I preordered something that was delayed for I think 1.5 years total, and by the time it shipped and I got it I had forgotten about even doing the preorder. Made a nice surprise present for myself.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
Yes, when the hell IS the rest of Queen's Blade being released? Things are getting ridiculous ... I expected to have the second volume in my hands the beginning of August ... but no. I actually canceled my preorders of volumes 2 and 3, because you could already preorder the blu-ray complete collection for less money Razz

I just don't understand what the hold up is ...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My answer for this, and apologies if it sounds kind of mean-spirited, is that... they don't have to. In fact, try and think about this same problem in virtually every other medium. Think about how many book series, film series, albums of music, video games, and everything else that have been cruelly and unjustly left unfinished and unavailable for the English-speaking world.

And the industry wonders why people flock to illegal means to get their fix.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Oh do shut up. Most every post you've made is just you being an asshole. We get it. Go away.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
As far as pre-ordering goes, I have a bit of a tendency to pick and choose which distributors to pre-order from based on recent cancellations/history/reputation. Semi obscure slice of life from Bandai? Maaaybe not.. CLAMP title from Funimation? Sure. I realize this isn't a perfect system of course.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
For some reason Ahrem's letter had me laughing pretty hard. Maybe I find exclamation points really funny?

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I can't immediately point to one BIG thing that happened over the year that really shook this industry to its core.

Um, that Tokyo law? Laughing

Oh yeah! That thing!

nokishoff wrote:
In my opinion Funimation is the only company in the US anime industry that cares about their customers any further than the contents of their wallets (or purses).

Eh, I wouldn't say that. There's exceptions out there, but I think the majority of the companies that cater to anime fans in the west do it out of a love of the medium, and by extension the fans. I think it's less that other companies don't care and more that a lot of Funimation's marketing is built on making fans feel like they're "in the know." It probably helps that Funimation's got a solid enough base at this point that they can afford to be a little less cautious. That's not to say that I don't wish other companies would take a page out of Funimation's book, just that I don't think it's a sign of other companies not caring about fans and more a sign of other companies being reeeeally worried about doing anything that could harm them in the long run.

(Of course, I'm mostly speaking based on observational guesses, so...grain of salt, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
If the show/whatever other item is something I know I want and will buy when it comes out, I preorder it even if it don't have a release date. What's the harm really, you don't get charged for it until it ships. Unless you maybe think you wont have the $$ available when they finally do ship it.

For me this makes for some nice surprises at times. Once I preordered something that was delayed for I think 1.5 years total, and by the time it shipped and I got it I had forgotten about even doing the preorder. Made a nice surprise present for myself.
This, generally. Though I do try to wait and put items together in an order that have relatively close release dates, i.e. I don't want to risk holding up one item a long time due to another. Other than that I have no problem preordering stuff and generally am lucky enough not to worry about when stuff gets charged to the ol' credit card (it's not that I make a lot of money but rather this kind of stuff is my major entertainment expenditure so it's usually not a tight squeeze, month to month).

Having said all this, though, it still kinda cheeses me off when something with a release date of, say, November suddenly becomes July of next year (as has happened with some of my manga preorders recently). I realize there are reasons for this that are probably beyond the publisher's control but it's still pretty disappointing. Yet I keep preordering anyway-- it's pure optimism, which is really so unlike me. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Yes, when the hell IS the rest of Queen's Blade being released? Things are getting ridiculous ... I expected to have the second volume in my hands the beginning of August ... but no. I actually canceled my preorders of volumes 2 and 3, because you could already preorder the blu-ray complete collection for less money Razz

Apparently, the complete DVD and BD collections and volume three are supposed released "sometime in the first quarter", so somewhere between January and March. Yes, they are guessing their release dates. And the second volume has been shipping out for a couple weeks, I believe.

On preorders, I used to never do them because I hate seeing something I preordered delayed, but I've been doing them more often lately, and I'll be doing a lot next year thanks to Funimation and their LE releases. I actually think I'll send that in as something I'm looking forward to...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I don't think I'd be happy to have to constantly wait for stuff I'd ordered to finally come out. More often than not, I usually just get box sets in. Probably not helpful to marketing, considering they're released months down the line...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
The real kick in the teeth with Monster as I see it is that they've already dubbed the whole thing and obviously they've got the license for the entire thing. I mean it aired on TV and everything. So really, they've mostly put in all the work and expenses necessary for releasing the series. How hard is it to put out a boxed set or something to be done with it already if nothing else?

Quote:
Snatcher flopped, and so a game very much like Snatcher would flop.

Comparing not releasing a totally different game to not releasing the rest of the same series which you have already licensed is pretty apples/oranges though don't you think? Nobody expects them to 'announce' that they won't be releasing a vaguely related game because obviously there's no concrete reason to think they will be. On the other hand it pretty much goes without saying that a company will release a series they license. That's how it works.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Oh do shut up. Most every post you've made is just you being an not-so-nice-person. We get it. Go away.

Be nice. Or the obake will take your tongue!!
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
STill, one might think that at least some form of "early cancelation warning system" might do more to benefit sales than harm them.

As someone mentioned Queen's Blade, that was a good example of what happens: people (meself included here) see singles knowing a cheaper box set is on the way and sit back and wait. In this case, media blasters did the smart thing and skiped right to the box set. Viz probably would have canceled the project. Some notice that sales are low and things won't either get finished or released in prefered forms if sales don't improve might get a few of us off our entitled rears and buying things we were holding off on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4