• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beelzebub (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think I have a lot of things to say about this from watching the first episode, most important on is that I really really don't want to keep seeing a baby penis, put a nappy on that thing.
Laughing Anime doesn't really do that anymore, which is hilarious. It upsets people. But anime has shown that forever. Guess it's time to get the new generation used to it.

Everything cycles back around. The show is goddamn hilarious when it's not cliche.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
If they keep on track and follow the manga then this will prove to be one of the funniest shows airing right now. I have never laughed so hard while reading a manga until I read Beelzebub. If they can translate that into the anime I'll watch it till the very end.
vastoceans

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
I guess my taste in comedy is strange because I'm not feeling this one at all. Didn't even crack a smile. I think I'll give it one more episode before the first drop of the season. The baby went Blanka from SF2 mode how many times in the first half of the episode? If it wasn't funny the first time... I stuck with the second half because I liked the looks of Hilda but that was about it.

Somehow between the all-delinquent school and the puffy Freddie Mercury knock-off, I just wanted to dig up my Cromartie High School DVD's. I'm a little surprised the Winter Preview writers are treating this one so favorably.

Here's looking at you, episode two.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Seems some of my fears for this adaptation have already started. With less than 100 chapters to adapt the anime team is trying to stretch things out.

Going in, I feared they'd add more peeing and poop jokes and they've kept it to one each so far at least.

I didn't expect them to overdue the zapping to this extent. Honestly, I can't remember the last time Oga got zapped among all else that has happened in the manga so I am worried that they'll add more zapping to parts that didn't have it. hopefully they start toning it down by the end of 3
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
100 chapters? How many episodes would that be if properly adapted (not dragged out)? And how often are they released?
I ask because it's a good anime. But by adding that much electrification jokes (really, really?) the anime is at best mediocre.
It's already very, very clear, that the brat gets mentally disturbed whenever his macho isn't around, so I wonder why in the world they need to keep showing it over and over.
Right now it's my only beef with the show, besides the fully naked baby (but we at least don't have to see his bloody penis hanging out 10 times per episode). Wasn't it against Japanese law to show genitals on TV?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
Without the luscious Hildagarde, I'd already be gone. Like others, I couldn't believe how often they played the electrification card. Insane. I really don't like my chances of sticking with this one unless some sort of story kicks in (beyond, "I wanna get rid of this kid") or unless more hot chicks start showing up.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
Hilda and the thug girl from the opening (the one with sword and chest tape) are pretty much the only things really holding my interest. The family scene was great, though, and we could use more of that kind of comedy. But, again, the electrocuting is used way too often and at stupid moments. Having his favorite toy broken I get. Every time he's separated from Oga is absurd. And now there's this dumb 15 meter rule that I feel will become played out as well, especially with Freddy Mercury acting as some kind of measuring stick.

I was so looking forward to watching a long running show from the beginning, but if this is what I get, I may have to wait for another show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that the electrocution is being overused, and if I recall there was far less electrocution scenes in the manga. They should have tone it down a bit, and I'm a bit disturbed with them showing Beelzebub's genitals. They could try to show it less, or hide it more from the viewers, we understand that he's nude. Also, they're taking out some scenes from the manga (can't remember well) and replacing them with new scenes. I don't have a problem with that at all, but as others mentioned, it feels like this series will be stretched.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Stick it out until Aoi shows up.. should be.. not far off..

And I don't think he gets shocked again after this point in the manga, but considering how often they've added shocks in the anime.... yeah...
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
100 chapters? How many episodes would that be if properly adapted (not dragged out)? And how often are they released?

Obviously it varies, but for most manga adaptions the average "not blatantly wasting time" rate is roughly 3 chapters/episode.

If they've only got two years of manga to work with, then expect lots of padding and filler episodes. They can't possibly fill 50 episodes otherwise. (Not that I have any idea how many episodes this is slated to run.)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
But it's a comedy show. How bad could filler be? I personally think anime is at it's best when it's doing comedy, so even if they do do a lot of filler, it won't be weird because it's a comedy. For something like Naruto, filler is painful because it detracts from the main story and usually just isn't as interesting. But with a comedy, you could have 20 stand alone episodes be fillers as long as they're funny, because no one would care.

Of course, that's what I hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But it's a comedy show. How bad could filler be?

They could be getting him electrified 10 times per episode, making the baby poop/pee on him every episode, etc... oh, wait. Laughing
vastoceans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This episode was an improvement over the first one... but yeah, still not very good in the comedy department. The scenes with Hilda and the family were pretty good but the repeated electrocution and piss/shit gags are beyond old already. The 15 meter radius thing is just... wow. Is that an anime original?
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
vastoceans wrote:
The 15 meter radius thing is just... wow. Is that an anime original?

No, that one's in the manga.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
In the manga I believe it was said that if he ever goes 15 meters away from Baby Beel he would die. I don't think they really got that across in the anime.

They did use the shock way to much in this episode, but I think it was all leading up to the speech Oga gives Beel at the end about being a man means not crying and what not. Which kind of payed off, and hopefully will lead to less shocks down the road.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6