• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: DmC Devil May Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be a downer on this one, but I'm also in the camp that just can't ignore how embarrassingly trite and immature the writing and characterizations in this game are.

And it's not Donte's new hair or that he's "emo" now (in fact he's really not). No, what's been setting people off (both fans and nonfans alike) is the constant strings of profanity, college dropout levels of social commentary (which essentially amounts to "THE BANKERS I MEAN DEMONS ARE OUT TO CONTROL THE WORLD YEAH F*** GOVERNMENT! ANONYMOUS FTW!!!11!) and the abrasive "bro-step" driven soundtrack. Not only that, but the narrative seems to take itself so seriously with the aforementioned social commentary that, well, you can't really blame people for being upset about this. Yes, the original games were never hall marks of intelligent story-telling, but then again they weren't trying to be. It was just window-dressing to give players an excuse to hack away at demons.

I will say though that the level design and the shape-shifting aspects of some areas looks pretty inventive, some the presentation isn't a complete train wreck.

And far as the game-play goes, well, I was kind of dismayed at how the frame rate was halved from 60fps to 30fps. That's not to say that lowered frame-rates can ruin any and all action games, but it was one of those traits that was so ingrained into the previous games (as well as other titles of its ilk) that it's kind of hard to step away from it (though I do understand this problem was somewhat unavoidable due to the game being developed in Unreal Engine 3).

In the end, to say DmC is a total abomination would be a bit too harsh, but it's got glaring flaws (namely in its presentation) that certainly weigh it down from being "good".
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So I take it this is another game that despite being good previous franchise 'fans' will hate for very shallow reasons?

Oh yeah lol. In spades. Pathetically grasp at straw they can to justify hating it because it needs to be hated, no matter how good it really.

To sum up:
1-The game sold badly? Of course it did, cause it sucks!
2-The game sold well? Only tools think sales equal quality!
3-The game got bad reviews? Duh. Game sucks ass, and it sh*ts on everything that's DMC.
4-The game got good reviews? Obviously, Capcom paid off all gaming outlets - everyone knows that!
5-Gamers hate the game? Awesome! Let's go to Capcom's website, and scream at them!
6-Gamers like the game? Bunch of fantards. They don't know what "true DMC" is really like!

And luckily enough, we even have some examples in our very own thread here!

Kurohei wrote:
I don't care if the game is fun, and has a great story. If I want fun, I'll just go back and play DMC4. That guy is not Dante. And no way I'd want to play as him. Cool characters are another very important part of games.
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that they will bring back the old DMC series. I'm fine with this game (i.e. I don't care about this game) so long as it is just a spin-off title and its own separate reboot series, but if it replaces the old series then I would be greatly depressed.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
PikminExpert wrote:
I'm just hoping that they will bring back the old DMC series. I'm fine with this game (i.e. I don't care about this game) so long as it is just a spin-off title and its own separate reboot series, but if it replaces the old series then I would be greatly depressed.

It's gonna replace the old (admittedly extremely stale) series. Just accept it.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I've said it elsewhere, but I'm the sort of person that WOULD'VE been interested in a reboot of the series. I'd had a passing interest in the old Devil May Cry series--mostly because I thought the character of Dante seemed fun and funny (and probably a little attractive, too, what can I say?) But I'd never gotten around to trying it, and it was hard to know where to jump in with the franchise constantly growing.

But as soon as the marketing started to focus in on how immature and bratty the new Dante was I got pretty turned off by it. It's not that I can't love something over-the-top and immature sometimes (I find Lollipop Chainsaw actually funny a lot of the times) but...I don't know. It just seems to take itself way too seriously. And I'm no stranger to curse words but it sort of loses its shock value after a while.

So...yeah, I'm not picking this up. I just don't see the appeal in it anymore. I might borrow some of the older games from my brother, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I hate the character design. they can't have my money. Maybe I'm just not their target audience anyway.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote

That succubus...
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
It's gonna replace the old (admittedly extremely stale) series. Just accept it.

It would have to depend on sales. Street Fighter X Tekken, which was also published by Capcom only sold 1.4 million of their projected 2 million units because of the negative word of mouth in the fighting game community, and something similar could happen to the new DmC game as well.

I wonder why Capcom chose to reboot the series in the first place, when it didn't need to be rebooted. The sales expectation figures for DmC is lower than what DMC4 sold, so it doesn't seem logical at all. It was supposed to appeal to a "younger" audience, but I find the characters and dialogue poorly designed and written. Gameplay is also another story.

The same thing happened with Resident Evil 6, when Capcom tried to appeal to the mainstream shooter and FPS market. While RE6 was mediocre, it did not live up to its franchise's name. The new DmC was made to appeal to a greater number of casual gamers; with its difficulty and speed decreased compared to past titles of DMC. I believe that is part of the reason it may have earned a "higher" score than expected of it with video game reviewers, because the reviewers who played it would be categorized as the "casual player" (where they are more about playing games in general).

On a side note, since I'm a fighting game player; Street Fighter X Tekken had some broken game mechanics but still received a decent score as well, by the same video game review sites that gave DmC a decent score. It was only the fighting game community (i.e. the fans and the "hardcore" players) that were able to discern the game for what it truly is. Now the game is being patched to fix all of its mechanics.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So I take it this is another game that despite being good previous franchise 'fans' will hate for very shallow reasons?

Incorrect, if you were to assume it came from out of nowhere, then this would be a surprisingly good alternative hack and slash.

The fact that it is attempting to fulfill the taste of DMC fans (who have standards for difficulty, complexity, lore, modes, lock on and options) and new potential DMC fans and it more or less squanders a number of beloved factors from 10 years ago, it will be hated. Perhaps on top of this, because this could replace the original series if it does well enough.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
PikminExpert wrote:

I wonder why Capcom chose to reboot the series in the first place, when it didn't need to be rebooted. The sales expectation figures for DmC is lower than what DMC4 sold, so it doesn't seem logical at all. It was supposed to appeal to a "younger" audience, but I find the characters and dialogue poorly designed and written. Gameplay is also another story.

There's really nothing about this game that warrants its existence. The DMC series still sold well, still reviewed well, and its characters were still very popular (as seen with DMC characters being in Marvel vs Capcom 3 AND Project X Zone). It's almost like everyone trying to justify this game was getting their data from an alternate universe
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
What can I say? Some people like this little thing known as "good writing" that is all the rage these days and Good Writing is not every exchange having to include the F word regardless of it's nessesity or lack there of.

Also, no matter how you slice it.
"F' you"
"F' you!"
"F' youuuuuuuuuuu!"

is a step down from some of the daft nonsense that would come out of Devil May Cry's writing. The scene with Angus and Dante in DMC 4 for example.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
PikminExpert wrote:

They did. It's called Devil May Cry HD. It contained all three of the first Devil May Cry games, all updated for our HD screens.

Including that God Of All Damned awful Devil May Cry 2. You really want THAT classic Dante back? Have at it!

Coin tossing. Rolling Eyes Toss this!
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Nettacki wrote:
How could you respect a guy who's reviews are often fine-tuned for maximum clickbaiting potential?

Just because the man has a sense of humour that means he's click baiting. Rolling Eyes

I respect Jim too and my opinions generally tend to align with his so i'm giving the game a shot. I also wanna support Ninja Theory because they need more love after Enslaved. Honestly the only DMC game i have played is 4 and that was not exactly a fun game. Hated the way it was structured and the way the camera worked in that. All the backtracking and having to play it twice ruined the entire thing in DMC4. I just want a fresh start for the series with everything redone and this is what the new game is so i ain't complainin.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
PikminExpert wrote:

There's really nothing about this game that warrants its existence. The DMC series still sold well, still reviewed well, and its characters were still very popular (as seen with DMC characters being in Marvel vs Capcom 3 AND Project X Zone). It's almost like everyone trying to justify this game was getting their data from an alternate universe

Bullshit. DMC4 was crap, sold like crap, and is generally treated like crap by its community at large. Well, WAS. Until DmC came out, where DMC4 is now magically the paragon of ideal DMC quality.

A whiny and hypocritical fanbase full of crap. It's nothing new, but these guys really excel at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6