• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena/Penguindrum's Ikuhara Reveals 'Yuri Kuma Arashi' Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Lesbian Bear Storm, huh?

That's a storm I wouldn't mind getting caught in.

Unless it involves actual bears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/anime-news-nina/2012-12-05 For some reason this came to mind...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
I definitely agree with you, PurpleWarrior13-- Utena is one of those series that I get more out of every time I see it! When I first watched it years ago, the gender/sexuality stuff was what made the biggest impression on me; watching it last year with the Nozomi release, it was the examination of eternity, memory and growing up that really spoke to me! It's like a different show every time you revisit it. There's so much going on.

I've only been through Penguindrum once so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it's a work that matures with time, like Utena.

Though homoerotic tension is one of the things that Ikuhara does really well, so even if he decides to make a show that is JUST that, it could still end up being really good...

That's why I love Utena so much. There is so much to discover, and there are so many hidden meanings, it really holds up well. It's very easy to forget you're watching a show from the late 90s. The characters are so fascinating, and they all represent something different, it's really a unique way of storytelling. It's an anime I think everyone should see. It's a shame that some think it's just a lesbian/yuri show.

I still need to see Penguindrum. If it's even nearly as good as Utena, I'm in.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
BluWacky wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

...At least, I hope it means "lily" here or Ikuhara has just sold out.

Because Ikuni never does anything with lesbians in.

Never.

Except everything.

Well then clearly I won't like his work if it's stuffed to the gills with yuri. There's enough yuri in anime as it is.

Might watch this out of how bizarre the title is.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ikuhara can do no wrong.

BRING ON THE LESBIAN BEARS!!! Very Happy

In all seriousness, could it be a continuation of Penguindrum? With an alternate timeline with Yuri, Momoka, and the ominous bears of the old show?

ighaoignoigno;aihgsgmfs

I DON'T CARE IT'S IKUHARA I LOVE IT ALREADY <333333
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
BluWacky wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

...At least, I hope it means "lily" here or Ikuhara has just sold out.

Because Ikuni never does anything with lesbians in.

Never.

Except everything.

Well then clearly I won't like his work if it's stuffed to the gills with yuri. There's enough yuri in anime as it is.

Might watch this out of how bizarre the title is.

But there's so much more to his animes than yuri; it's often in the background, and isn't always explicitly stated/shown (or milked as otaku fanbait). His series really grapple with the nature of adolescence, family, growing up, facing a challenge to your world view/perspective, the concept of death/afterlife, conspiracy, the contrasts between healthy and abusive love, incest, psychological struggles, fairytales and mythology, AND SO MUCH MORE.

I'd recommend Utena to someone who's never seen his stuff (the show, not the film), especially to someone who digs symbolism, psychology, and coming of age stories. It's a really solid series. Imo, Utena doesn't really flash its brilliance till The Black Rose Arc, so if you don't warm to it at first, don't worry, I didn't either Anime smile
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lesbian Bear Storm, huh?

That's a storm I wouldn't mind getting caught in.

Unless it involves actual bears.

Laughing my ass off here! But to back up from that could this be the PenguinBear? Has to be. This cannot be a coincidence! Excited!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
So many new anime, so little time. Well this one? Definitely looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Lesbian schmesbian! This is clearly my long-awaited Dirty Pair spinoff! And if it does well, maybe Kei will get a standalone series too!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There's enough yuri in anime as it is.

Really, now. Name five yuri series off the top of your head.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me everything will not be what it seems despite having "yuri" in the title. I'm still intrigued though.
GeOMeek417

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
Lesbian bear storm.

Ikuhara i just - love you

I dont know what the project is gonna be but i hope its a continuation of penguindrum, because i loved the utena movie (im strange yes) Albeit a movie contiuation may be unlikely due to ikuhara nae wanting his shows to be compared to one another

Confused

Th mind boggles
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Lesbian Bear Storm

Really, I just...IKUHARAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm dying here. Wow, another work and it didn't take aeons this time. I guess after Penquin Drum his juices are flowing. I'm curious to see how this one turns out.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There's enough yuri in anime as it is.

Oh yes, we're just OVERFLOWING with yuri anime.

I can think of precisely two lesbian couples in the past two years. Neither of them were in anime that could really be considered "yuri anime" overall, they were somewhat prominent side-characters in otherwise not-yuri anime (which is great, we need more of that too). Outside of that, you have Yuru Yuri, which is just a bunch of one-sided crushes and only one or two of them have clearly romantic interests in another girl (or fantasize about girl/girl relationships).

Yeah, we have SO MUCH yuri, we sure don't need any more.
soulelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
What I love about Ikuhara - you can start making predictions, seeking for allusions, etc even before the project is released xD I posted the text below already on MAL, but why not share my thoughts here either.

I bet the story of the new show will be based on the following incident:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

As you can see, it's already been dramatized in 70-80's under the name "Kuma Arashi" or "The Bear Storm", but, of course, Ikuhara will most likely use it in a fashion similar to what he did with the Sarin gas attack incident.

And since at penguinbear.com the storm is mentioned with an adjective "clear/transparent/invisible" (透明), it will most likely contain a similar idea/concept/allusion as the child broiler from penguindrum, which processed the "trashed" kids into pieces of broken glass.

And it looks like we expect a girl capable of transforming into a bear to crush the world with yuri love. Or, perhaps, it's going to be a return of Momoka LOL xDDD

Ah, whatever that is, Ikuhara-sensei, I truly Love You! Thanks for sharing another fruit of art with us! Can't really wait to watch it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3