• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: Blood and Ecchi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
After that talk about science fiction light novels, and Crest of the Stars, I wonder how Zac's journey through Legend of the Galactic Heroes is going. There's really not a whole lot of technobabble in LoGH, though.

I'd like to see a Blu-Ray release for the original Bubblegum Crisis. It would make it the third time I buy the series, but it's only eight episodes, so why not?

What about Yoroiden Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors? There's a lot of nostalgia there, isn't there? I don't think the DVDs ever sold much, though. I already have the DVD boxset, anyway.

The original Sol Bianca anime would be something I'd like to see, but I doubt anyone even remembers that one. People don't even remember The Legacy.

Zeta Gundam doesn't have dead weight. It's a fifty episode, non-stop plot, masterpiece. Compare to that the hack job they did to it with the movie trilogy (90 minutes per movie for a fifty episode series?!) that shamed the source material. I'm still upset at Tomino over it. It was a real disaster.

If you want a cut-down version of the original series, there's the original Gundam movie trilogy.

Dragon Ball Kai has been unfortunately canceled anyway, so I wouldn't count on that's staying power. It's a shame, because it really helped with some of the denser arcs of the show and Funimation finally provided a good English dub for the material.

It's extremely stupid to skip the first episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because if its similarities to the first episodes of the first series. The subtle differences in the two shows' plots end up making a big difference later on. You actually have to watch those first episodes for some things to make sense. And Brotherhood isn't so much a "remake" so much as an accurate portrayal of the original manga. If anything, the first series was a "remake". Not that I'm judging it for that (I like both shows equally), that's just how it is.

I really wish people would get their minds around such a simple concept.

Most shows don't need the "Kai treatment", because most shows aren't 291 episodes the way Dragon Ball Z was.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
So according to Justin, the Twelve Kingdoms anime does have its own ending, even if somewhat rushed? I had contemplated collecting the Media Blasters set because I like checking out some older classic series that people say are so great, but any show that just stops without its own sufficient conclusion is an automatic dealbreaker to me. Because really, what's the point?

Twelve Kingdoms sort of had endings for the Yoko story, and then they had a short Enki story, but they did not have an ending for the Taiki story. However, it is still definitely worth watching; it is an excellent anime.

You'll just be frustrated with the Taiki story and be waiting for Tokyopop to release the book edition so you can finally find out what happened to him.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin needs a remake. Not just a Kai treatment, although the original anime could certainly benefit from it. The entire last third of the anime is really meh and pales in comparison to the manga's final arc.

maybe not remake, but a new series just to finish the story.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I agree with Rob in that it's BS that fanservice shows get panned so hard because they're advertisements for other products. So the fudge what? The absolute disdain and disgust people show towards ecchi is complete bullshit, and the people complaining need to chill out.

So you like that kind of thing and don't like it when people complain about it. Gotcha.

Quote:
And, no offense Zac, you know I respect you, but you're kind of the definition of hyperbolic.

I exaggerate for comedic effect sometimes, sure. Yep.

Quote:
I mean, I never heard you even mention the second episode of Chrome Shelled Regios, but I did heard you completely dumb down what appears to be the first 10 minutes of the first episode and say the show's awful because of a big cast intro episode, and a bunch of technobabble *cough*Stand Alone Complex*cough*...in the first half of the first episode. Never mind the fact that just maybe it works itself out later on in the show

I don't care if it works itself out 4 hours later. The intro was repellent, as I said. I found nothing of interest or value in the super-confusing "HERE'S ALL THE CHARACTERS AT ONCE AND A BUNCH OF TECHNOBABBLE" incompetently-written and executed introduction. I don't waste my life on shows that give me absolutely no compelling reason to continue watching.

Quote:
You also did if Freezing where you declared, basically, this show is for guros, even though that's just the first episode and the rest is basic Ikki Tousen fair with some blood shed (excluding one flashback later on).

That's what was in the episode I saw, and there was plenty of it. If it isn't a 100 percent fair and neutral characterization of the amazing nuance and incredible storytelling of Freezing that happens later on in the show... oh well. And I never said "this show is for guros", but why else would you have so much nudity and violence mashed together at once? Am I supposed to just ignore every obvious thing that's thrown my way just in case it might not fit your exacting definition of "what the show is"? Anyone who decides to watch the show has to get past that first episode anyway, and if it is a total mischaracterization to the point of being an utterly false representation of the show that cannot be called on to describe the series, I'd say the creators kinda screwed up, wouldn't you?

Quote:

And I don't think anyone can forget your Kiss x Sis preview

There do seem to be a handful of people who certainly can't, I'll give you that!

Quote:
but you needed to insult a group of people with different tastes than you - which you kept bringing up in this podcast as being important to note.

Oh, so this is a "your behavior is not 100 percent consistent" thing. For the record, I stand by that Kissxsis review, even if it was completely over-the-top. That show - more than most dumb fanservice shows - makes me sick and I do seriously question the taste of people who are really in to it. Do I think they're horrible people? No, but they do enjoy some pretty creepy stuff in my opinion.

I've had my taste called into question by people who think Hellsing and Berserk are overly violent and think less of me because I'm a big fan. I get judged on these things just like everyone else does. Is it great? No, but I also don't really let someone else's opinion of what I enjoy impact my ability to enjoy it nor do I stop and suddenly reassess my entire existence because someone thinks Berserk is gross and therefore I am too.

Quote:
So yeah, you can't tell someone to not be hyperbolic in their defense of ecchi when you're the king of hyperbole when it comes to shows you don't like.

That isn't what I said. You need to listen.

Very specifically I was responding to his claim that "critics always say" that these shows are the "worst things in the world". Nobody says that. Critics often complain about how fanservice can ruin a show, or become distracting, or undermine an otherwise decent series, but to issue a blanket "critics always say" isn't accurate and isn't helpful to the discussion. His approach to the subject made me want to clarify.

I was not saying "Do not ever use hyperbole, I certainly never have in my entire professional career!" which is apparently what you heard me say.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
They're actually continuing with the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs. Though after reading up to vol. 9 of the manga, I don't think I want to continue watching the anime. It definitely jumps the shark...multiple times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid I have to refute this assertion.

While I'm old enough that I could have seen Ranma 1/2 at the time it was out in the 90s, I didn't see it back then. My first exposure to Ranma 1/2 was about 2-3 years ago, and I really enjoy it. I think it's absolutely hilarious.

In other words, I really enjoy Ranma 1/2 for what is not, and not due to any nostalgia.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think people who claim they like Ranma these days only do so because it's nostalgic for them, one of the first non-OVA or non-movie anime of considerable length that they were exposed to in the 90s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon is a well known license nightmare. I want to say the license got PULLED from whoever last had it. Whether that's true or not, I believe it's fairly well established that Toei isn't letting anyone have Sailor Moon (or else they're demanding some INSANE dollar figure for it). I think everyone knows Sailor Moon is one of the few established cash cows, and is being held up by that.[/quote]

That is very true. I have been hearing that for the past seven years that Sailor Moon is Toei's property and they ain't letting anyone have it. Which is one of the reasons I moved on from Sailor Moon. Why want something that might be near impossible to obtain?

Quote:
I think people who claim they like Ranma these days only do so because it's nostalgic for them, one of the first non-OVA or non-movie anime of considerable length that they were exposed to in the 90s.

I like Ranma 1/2 because it is entertaining, not just because it is nostalgic. I first saw Ranma in 2002, and never saw it all in it's entirety. Last year, I was able to see seasons 1-4, and plan to see 5-7, which I've never seen all of before.

Quote:
Rurouni Kenshin needs a remake. Not just a Kai treatment, although the original anime could certainly benefit from it. The entire last third of the anime is really meh and pales in comparison to the manga's final arc.

I agree with you, even though I liked the Shougo Amakusa arc. They should at least do the manga's final arc.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Would love to see a reboot/remake of the UC Gundam stuff, especially original Gundam. A remake of original Gundam for a new generation you would think would be a no-brainer due to it's broad (and lasting) appeal outside the otaku market. I suspect Tomino has a lot to do with this though as he seems to be a crazy old man. Star Blazers/Yamato is another classic title I would also love to see remade with a modern take as again like Gundam is an icon in Japan which brought in a wide variety of fans back in the day and still has a story and characters that are universal today.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Taking the fanservice out of Godannar!? How was that not the point? Godannar is an intentionally silly super robot show. The only drama present is melodrama (not that this is inherently bad), and the entire thing is supposed to be over the top. In the first episode we establish that a 30-or-so year old mech pilot is married to a 16-ish schoolgirl. The fanservice is not getting in the way of some deep, intellectual material. (Disclaimer: I like what I saw of Godannar)

Going off the Koihime Musou dvd, Sentai's subtitle typos are annoying, but if you're not really paying attention, they aren't even that noticeable. If the same typos were found in a post in this thread and someone commented on how they should be corrected, that person would be ridiculed as a grammar nazi.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Would love to see a reboot/remake of the UC Gundam stuff, especially original Gundam. A remake of original Gundam for a new generation you would think would be a no-brainer due to it's broad (and lasting) appeal outside the otaku market. I suspect Tomino has a lot to do with this though as he seems to be a crazy old man. Star Blazers/Yamato is another classic title I would also love to see remade with a modern take as again like Gundam is an icon in Japan which brought in a wide variety of fans back in the day and still has a story and characters that are universal today.

Considering the state of Gundam where every series is either based off of a previous series or is done in the style of a previous series I don't think we need to actually remake UC Gundam. Sure it would no doubt make a ton of money but I think Gundam needs to move on instead of celebrating what aired 20 years ago.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Eh-CHEE! It's pronounced eh-CHEE! Not with the emphasis on the second syllable like how I just typed it, but the hard 'c' sound is just unprofessional!
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:

Considering the state of Gundam where every series is either based off of a previous series or is done in the style of a previous series I don't think we need to actually remake UC Gundam. Sure it would no doubt make a ton of money but I think Gundam needs to move on instead of celebrating what aired 20 years ago.

I don't know about that, they tried that with shows like Gundam 00 and they did not turn out very well, then you turn to something like Gundam Unicorn which is fantastic so I really have to respectfully disagree. If anything the one thing Unicorn has really demonstrated the need for Gundam, and mecha shows in general, to get back to basics.

On that note I would also throw out VOTOMS as another show that could go for some sort of reboot. I'm not the biggest fan of VOTOMS but I really think it's a universe I would love to see further explored as there's a lot there and it feels like a universe they only ever scratched the surface of.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So you like that kind of thing and don't like it when people complain about it. Gotcha.

Let me put it this way:
When there's a bad action show, it gets 2-3 "Awfuls" and a few grunts

When there's a mediocre ecchi show, it gets 10 "Awfuls", becomes tasteless junk, and only attracts 30 year old otaku that live in their parent's basements that couldn't get laid if they had a million dollars in the bank who also love objectifying women because of said lack of experience with the opposite sex. Oh, and they're probably pedophiles, too.

I don't like how it's gets BLASTED, not that people don't like it. You don't like it? Cool, I don't care. However people don't need to go off on it and the people that do like it, though. I also don't like how when people talk about whats wrong with the anime industry, ecchi is considered a part of the problem, like it's a disease or something. Ecchi doesn't create a lack of creativity, a lack of creativity creates a lack of creativity. And it's also always considered "most shows" a season, even though numbers clearly disprove that. From the last chart I saw for the spring season, there are 29 shows. Looking at pictures and reading synopsis, I conclude that about eight shows are ecchi. EIGHT! So yea, there's that hyperbole again.

Again, to reiterate: I don't mind that people don't like ecchi. I do mind that people have an extreme hatred for it that leads to them crapping all over it and the people that do like it.

Quote:
I don't waste my life on shows that give me absolutely no compelling reason to continue watching.

You said the first episode of Brotherhood was one of those "assume you know what's happening" intros and the other episodes you saw were just like the first series, but that you were going to go back give it a go anyways. What's your reason there? Because you liked the first season? Is that really a compelling reason since you could always just rewatch the first series, which is actually 11 episodes shorter? So you're willing to wade through the first 12 or so episodes of a 63 episode show until it "gets new", but you won't watch the next episode of 24 episode show you're not familiar with at all, despite having fairly good scores on several sites (7.9 here on ANN)? I know scores aren't everything, but I have to assume another reason you're giving Brotherhood another go is because other people have said good things. Also, don't you always talk about how you watch horrible movies and horrible anime all the time? That's not a waste of time, or at least not more wasteful than giving a show a few more episodes before ripping into it? I'm not trying to ensnare you in a trap of inconsistency, but you're logic does confuse me.

Quote:
And I never said "this show is for guros", but why else would you have so much nudity and violence mashed together at once?
I'd say the creators kinda screwed up, wouldn't you?

No one watching Freezing is going "ZOMG I'm so hard right now because Satellizer ripped off that chicks arm ZOMG". So, apparently, you're the only thinking like that. Maybe it's because you're jaded (not trying to be a dick here, honestly), I don't know, but no one else (or at least no one I've seen from the threads I'm following) are making a guro connection. It's a more of a sexy version of shounen jump stuff, so the violence is just there and the girls are well endowed. No trying to get people to splurge from the disembodiment. It's like Rob, it's par for the course as far as violence goes, the characters just happen to have big tits.

As for the last part: Eva isn't just another mech show, Madoka isn't just a magical girl show, Witchblade isn't just about over-endowed women beating each other up, Gurren Lagann isn't about two boys trying to explore the surface, and the list goes about shows whose first episodes don't represent the entire series. I'm not saying Freezing is as good (or nearly as good) as those shows, but it fits in-line with the seemingly old anime-ism of misleading first episodes. So, no, Freezing's creators aren't failures.

Quote:
No, but I also don't really let someone else's opinion of what I enjoy impact my ability to enjoy it nor do I stop and suddenly reassess my entire existence because someone thinks Berserk is gross and therefore I am too.

I'm not letting other people's opinion of ecchi shows affect me either. I'm saying the way many, many people poo poo all over ecchi and it's fans is completely unnecessary and isn't seen anywhere else, except for moe. I don't see why Guy A needs to be chewed up and spit out because he actually finds Girls Bravo funny. I also don't see why Guy B is a pedo because they like Kodomo no Jikan. Trashing shows is one thing, attacking (and I'm using that pretty loosely) people is another.

Quote:
That isn't what I said. You need to listen.

OK, I relistened and I was off-base, my apologies. However, even though the critics don't say it's the worse thing on earth, a good bit of fans do say similar things. My job isn't as time-consuming as yours and I'm isolated, so I have a lot more time to be on the internet, and there are people who see fanservice as the plague of the industry. They wish it would stop being made, they wish it would get out of their "good" shows, and all so the next Cowboy Bebop can be made instead. So Rob may be off base by saying "all critics call it the worst thing in the world", but if he were to have said "most people, fans and reviewers alike, see fanservice and get their insult generators and hyperbole guns ready", he'd have a fair point. People always go overboard when it comes to criticizing ecchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, I would just LOVE a Please Save My Earth full on series. I have no idea why it hasn't happened yet, but hopefully soon. After all, Toward the Terra got one after having a movie adaptation in the 80s, maybe in due time someone will see fit, for I will love that studio and director forever!

*edit-while I'm at it, the OVA covers about 7 and three-quarters of the 21 volumes, though it does leave a few things out.

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
On that note I would also throw out VOTOMS as another show that could go for some sort of reboot. I'm not the biggest fan of VOTOMS but I really think it's a universe I would love to see further explored as there's a lot there and it feels like a universe they only ever scratched the surface of.

VOTOMS is one of those shows that is no need of a remake, since it's one of those titles that's always getting continued in some way. There's at least 7 or so OVAs and OVA series, including Armor Hunter Mellowlink, that have been made since the original TV series aired. And there's always the possibility of more being made, especially if VOTOMS' appearance in the upcoming Super Robot Wars Z2 is as well-received as it was begged for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7