• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Konami Confirms Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection for PS3 in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Actually Portable Ops is more important to the main plot than Peace Walker. In Portable Ops we learn how Big Boss got the money and idea for Outer Heaven, how the Philosophers ended, who are the Patriots, Big Boss meeting Eva, etc. In Peace Walker we just get Big Boss' negative character development which really depresses the dude. He even asks Strangelove to kill him at one moment.

Heck even by characters PO has more returning characters than PW. PO has Zero, Sigint, Paramedic, Gray Fox, Campbell, Raikov and even Snake and Raiden in the updated version. Peace Walker has Master Miller and Zombie Boss
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Actually Portable Ops is more important to the main plot than Peace Walker. In Portable Ops we learn how Big Boss got the money and idea for Outer Heaven, how the Philosophers ended, who are the Patriots, Big Boss meeting Eva, etc. In Peace Walker we just get Big Boss' negative character development which really depresses the dude. He even asks Strangelove to kill him at one moment.
Except these were pretty pointless developments.

MGS3 told you everything.

How did Big Boss get the idea for Outer Heaven? He was sour about what happen to Boss and decided to take what he thought her ideas were and made a world where soldiers were needed. I guess it's good PO told us how he got the money, but I'm pretty sure from 4's revelations we could just assume how or hell we didn't need to know, it's not important. Either way, after MGS3 there should have been no questions from fans as to how Big Boss became the man he did. All PO and then PW did was add much unneeded detail. PO and PW mess with the Boss's sacrifice for whatever reason and also change how that relates to how Big Boss becomes the man he does. But while you are correct that PO and PW do not have the same exact plot. They do cover the same ground.

MGS3 told us how the Philosophers ended and 4 would go unto to tell us all we needed to know about who the Patriots are. PO just hint's and reveals a few things, but doesn't tell everything. If you've played 4 you know already. Either, all this leads is to a terrible twists were 4 thinks it's cool to crap on MGS3 support team.

Quote:
PO has Zero, Sigint, Paramedic
Huh? They are so little involved that I don't even remember if they had speaking lines.

Quote:
Gray Fox
Yes, thanks tot his game his backstory is now more screwed up.

Quote:
Campbell
Yes I remember being excited about this and then after playing the game I realized he had more voiced lines in a trailer than the actual game. And how the game addedd nothing then I guess the young Campbell character design.

Quote:
Raikov and even Snake and Raiden in the updated version.
It also has Sokolov in one of the dumbest twists ever. And do you just mean it has their character models? These character's don't factor into the story.

Quote:
Peace Walker has Master Miller and Zombie Boss
I will agree with you on Zombie boss.

Other than that, I just feel PO is a terrible playing game. While yes having a controller could fix that, but I mean the level design is not very good or the missions. You will often have missions where you can just run to the mission point and call it a day. The guards are stupid and the boss battles not really creative.

And as for the story. it lays down the groundwork for some pretty terrible story developments in 4. But if you've played 3 and then 4 and maybe 4, you know them already or they've been retconned anyway.

Really, PO for me was the beggining of the downfall. Hell, it's the only MG title I've played once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I never picked up the HD collection since it was missing 1, and figured that starting at 2 wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I will probably pick this up if the price is right; I'm going broke for college, but getting them in a collection will hopefully give me quite a lot of bang for my buck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2