• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigger's Little Witch Academia 2 Meets Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
The current average donation is still over $100; assuming it doesn't dip down below $50, we should see some interesting things happen.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Great news, but guess I'll still have time to put together a good contribution early next month rather than just offer a small one right now. Which, of course, still doesn't make much of an impact on the already confirmed success of this project.

You can always make a small one now and then change your donation later. It's really easy to do, too.
jet_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
Glad to be one of the people who helped funding this.
Everything for Trigger.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
Close to the 160k! And it's not even sunrise (the time of morning not the company)!

It's currently 7 PM here in Japan... -_-;
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Great news, but guess I'll still have time to put together a good contribution early next month rather than just offer a small one right now. Which, of course, still doesn't make much of an impact on the already confirmed success of this project.

The money doesn't come out of your account until after the deadline is over, so you can pledge high now and it won't be charged for a few weeks.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
Right now, Kicktraq estimates the Kickstarter will make $2.6 million, though that's surely skewed by the intensity of the initial support. Still, it would be interesting to see this make a big multiple of its initial goal.

Between this and Kick-Heart, it's not hard to imagine a lot more anime crowd-funding projects popping up, even looking past the flops like the first set of Anime Sols shows.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You realize that 2ch represents "Japan" precisely as much as /a/ represents "America" right?

Replace 'Japan' with 'people on one of the biggest Japanese otaku sites' and it'd be more accurate I imagine.

Though he is pretty right. LWA isn't really a thing in Japan. It's definitely more of a western fascination, which is why Trigger pushed it in America so much since they realized not many people in Japan cared.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
I went to bed last night wondering when Studio Trigger would put their Little Witch Academia Kickstarter page up.

I woke up this morning to learn that they'd done so while I was sleeping and already beaten then goal. That was something of a shock; I was optimistic about its prospects, but not that optimistic.

Something that accounts for that and differs from what I expected is that they only asked for $150,000 to extend something that they had already secured funding for. It's as though this whole campaign was a stretch goal. That makes it more obviously attainable and introduces the interesting possibility of what new goals they'll add. They have a lot of potential to play with here; $2.6 million seems like an excessive estimate, but I could easily imagine their raising a few more hundred thousand dollars.

I'm still very interested in contributing, but I think that I'll wait to see what the stretch goals are before I do that. We have time.

I'm impressed by how seriously their courting a wide overseas market. I wonder what The Japanese opinions of this are really like; we've gotten a rather incomplete impression, but there is quite evidently some interest.

TitanXL wrote:
Though he is pretty right. LWA isn't really a thing in Japan. It's definitely more of a western fascination, which is why Trigger pushed it in America so much since they realized not many people in Japan cared.

Can you present some good evidence of this. I am sincerely curious, especially since you're fairly adamant on that point, so I assume that you can present some strong, interesting information to elaborate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Can you present some good evidence of this. I am sincerely curious, especially since you're fairly adamant on that point, so I assume that you can present some strong, interesting information to elaborate it.

Watch the video on the Kickstarter page, they talk about about how that's the case.
Masahiko Otsuka wrote:
We knew that we had a fan base in Japan, but what surprised us most was that most of the comments and support given to us were from the English-speaking countries. And to answer the comments we received, we have decided to create another episode of Little Witch Academia.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Awesome news. Still want a whole series, though. Maybe this could lead to that (not via Kickstarter, of course, but somebody deciding it has potential and greenlighting it).
Cytrus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
From the discussion on Yaraon (http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-17310.html), LWA isn't as well known in Japan as it is abroad. People who've seen it rank it from average to good, with the art/animation pointed out as a strong point.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Cytrus wrote:
From the discussion on Yaraon (http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-17310.html), LWA isn't as well known in Japan as it is abroad. People who've seen it rank it from average to good, with the art/animation pointed out as a strong point.

I actually didn't even notice any articles about the Kickstarter on the Japanese sites I go to including Yaraon until it was actually already funded. Kickstarter doesn't seem like much of a thing over there so it made more sense for Trigger to focus on the English Speaking market since they also care more about LWA. But yeah, LWA is basically viewed as an animation tech demo in Japan.

And even with the sites posting about the Kickstarter goal being reached, there isn't much excitement. On Yaraon, news about Kana Hanazawa voicing a character in Nisekoi has 3 times as many comments.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
You better believe this movement involving anime and Kickstarter will become a thing now. I'm eagerly anticipating the campaign for Satoshi Kon's Dream Machine (why that hasn't been fully funded still continues to confuse me).

It really is never a better time to be an international anime fan from a consumer standpoint. We're near the tipping point before full-scale globalization.
neshru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
Some of those rewards don't really seem to be worth the price, but it's nice that people bought them anyway Razz

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What's interesting is what the Japanese think of LWA, calling it "cancer script" or some such.

Source? What does that even mean?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
I think it's awesome that it's doing this well and I'm glad to be supporting this effort, but it also seems notable to me that:
-Kick-Heart went 30 days and got $201k
-Time of Eve went 30 days and for $215k
-Little Witch Academia is over $200k in less than 24 hrs

I note that because Kick-Heart was obviously an "indie 'art piece" kind of flick and was even noted as the director wanting to be experimental. Time of Eve is more conventional but also more "mundane". "Little Witch Academia" is very "cute".

And this is why Japanese anime studios aim squarely at the otaku market with many things. I think Academia can have wide appeal, but it's not the "mainstream" ponying up $100+ donations to the cause.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8