• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill la Kill Anime's 30-Second Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totoum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

As walw6pK4Alo said you're not using the right terms, if you mean it's colored digitally instead of on cels then yeah sure, but it's still hand drawn.

This is hand drawn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JHgSoQf8Uk

This is not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30GHXmIyWJk

Not to mention that Trigger used some hand painted backrounds for LWA instead of digitally coloring them so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do it in Kill La Kill as well.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Does it really matter whether it's hand drawn or whatever? As long as it's enjoyable I'll watch it.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Does it really matter whether it's hand drawn or whatever? As long as it's enjoyable I'll watch it.

Kinda does. I like all styles. CG, cel, digital, but I prefer digital ink. I was on a Disney Marathon. I watched their first digital inked animation "The Rescuers Down Under" and while a piece of shit, looked like $1 million. Well, $39 million actually, but whatever. The last Disney film to use cels was "Little Mermaid" which used a tiny bit of CAPS, but not a lot. So, blame my obsession of ink and paint on Pixar. If they never developed CAPS, I wouldn't be bitching.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Robot Chicken version was better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4H517oi7pU
4bnormal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this is gonna be a freaking good show! Cool
I can't wait for it, I just can't. Trigger's awesome.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Hand drawn anime encompasses the full traditional process. When one says hand drawn it means and it has always meant full traditional process that died back in the 90s indeed.

You have hand drawn and you have digital, its really this simple.

Dunno why I always hear the "smart" one that says, anime today is still hand drawn due to the very minor processes that need some ==now quite literally=== hand drawn stuff here and there.

Anyway highly anticipating this anime.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Hand drawn anime encompasses the full traditional process. When one says hand drawn it means and it has always meant full traditional process that died back in the 90s indeed.

No it does not mean that.

You are looking for the terms "Cell animation" and "Digital Animation"/"Digital Paint"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Dunno why I always hear the "smart" one that says, anime today is still hand drawn due to the very minor processes that need some ==now quite literally=== hand drawn stuff here and there.

Everything is digital now, with that sort of viewpoint. Even Sazae-san. Unless someone scrounges up the talent and scratch needed to produce something in the analog fashion, it's pretty much going to wind up a lost art. It's just not even close to the same as a guy filming with actual reels of film. There's cost involved, sure, but that's comparatively simple and easy next to getting people to hand-ink on cels, and photograph each cel after properly composing them. Not to mention all the overhead for the cels and ink.

And it's not really a minor process, what's drawn on paper is what the key animators are producing, and inbetweeners. It's the skeleton of the image. Maybe it's pedantic, but perhaps what you should just say is "analog".

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trisection

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Anyway highly anticipating this anime.

Traditional animation is a process that involves creating new drawings from scratch. It can be full (redrawing the entire character/object visible screen) or limited (redrawing only parts of the character). This process existed way before cels were invented. Drawing a walk cycle of a stick man in the corner of your notebook is traditional animation. Drawing in Flash without the use of tweening and mainly using it for the onion skin tool is traditional animation. Pencil and paper with pegs is still the main method of animating today, the very same method animators used more then fifty years ago. The only difference is the use of digital paint instead of physical paint and compositing on computers instead of cels.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
And in the long run, digital compositing is far superior to cell compositing.

There were a lot of initial growing pains (see the early to mid 2000s) but the technology is fully mature, and there are things done in TV anime now that would have been impossible in any but the highest-budget movies using cells.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
now to wait for Yamada to blow a gasket over what you typed
totoum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

It will be colored digitally but every drawing you will see in this TV show will have been created by the animator using a pencil on a piece of paper, how is that just a "very minor process"?

Also if that's "digital" how to you distinguish it from studios that draw their characters on computers and not on paper like sanzigen?
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation

Traditional animation, (or classical animation, cel animation, or hand-drawn animation) is an animation technique where each frame is drawn by hand. The technique was the dominant form of animation in cinema until the advent of computer animation.

So look, I ask again, why is it that when we go into digital vs hand drawn there ALWAYS there "oh look, anime is still hand drawn here and here and here"

Let me say it once more if not not clear enough, when one says HAND DRAWN when confronted with digital animation, hand drawn = full traditional process, really, its simple, it has always been referred as such since forever to refer to the *full traditional animation process (*refer to the definition of traditional animation to know what full process I am referring to) .

So no, contemporary anime is NOT hand drawn in the sense as it is referring to traditional animation winch means the *FULL process is hand drawn, period.

Many of you here seem to not know what traditional/hand drawn animation is or means or refers to, check wikipedia to clear your evident confusion with the topic.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

So no, contemporary anime is NOT hand drawn in the sense as it is referring to traditional animation winch means the *FULL process is hand drawn, period.

Your quote doesn't mention inking or coloring. By your logic Disney's Jungle Book isn't hand drawn, because instead of inking by hand, the hand drawn frames were copied to the cells by xerography.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Your quote doesn't mention inking or coloring. By your logic Disney's Jungle Book isn't hand drawn, because instead of inking by hand, the hand drawn frames were copied to the cells by xerography.

:facepalm:, if you wanna argue, at least have your facts straight, Dont be lazy and read the wiki to know what traditional animation means and what it encompasses, at some point you will find: Traditional ink-and-paint and camera.

If the process is NOT IN FULL "hand drawn" , it isn't, I dunno about the example you cite, I dont care nor I know what Disney process is or was, soo dunno, it could be then comparable maybe to what Miyazaki did for a time in the 2000s, a fusion of digital + hand drawn, and he was clear to say it and make the distinction it wasn't traditional hand drawn animation, in the sense that hand drawn is another more commonly term to refer to traditional animation which required every and ALL frames to be drawn and colored BY HAND.

So in short, stop with the literal meaning of "hand drawn" its most widely used to refer to the term traditional animation, as its more representative of the whole process which was mainly done by HAND, not merely referring to the drawing process of course.

Evidence? How many times you find: Traditional vs Digital animation topics? How any times you find Cel vs Digital animation topics, a few yes, but how many times you find Hand drawn vs digital animation topics? the most.

Best evidence is the quote from wikipedia, traditional animation is also called classical animation or cel animation OR HAND DRAWN ANIMATION, and then goes on to explain what the traditional animation process is and yes, its encompasses coloring/paint as well,m which was done ALL BY HAND mind you.

SO lets see: xerography eliminates the hand-inking stage in the animation process by printing the animator's drawings directly to the cels.

And traditional/hand drawn animation has the inking, drawing, painting on cels, etc, all done by HAND, hand drawn? NOPE.

Last edited by dan9999 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:17 am; edited 10 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3