• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Speed Grapher DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sionEmber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first 4 episodes of Speed Grapher at A-kon, and I disagree with the review 95%. The blood and sex was what actually kept me on my seat, and the other audience members must have felt the same way. Some people think Full Metal Alchemist is an awesome show and others think its boring. Preference is what it comes down to....and what's the deal with the box? Does it look really cool and pretty? I can't find a picture of it at the right stuff website.
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'd want to sit through Speed Grapher ever again. The second half rocked pretty hardcore, but shitty animation and a poor opening act make me wonder why anyone would spend money on it. Shame, too! So much potential! Such awesome character art and a cool concept! Too bad Gonzo gave gave it to their C-Team.

Wow, I actually agree with Zac for once. Maybe I have to kill my self now.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, if the beginning part of Speed Grapher already earned a C/C+, I can't even imagine what grade the later DVDs are going to get as the series moves into its "freak of the week."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I figured that was something intended as a sort of editing and that the DVD version wouldn't have it. Are they still there in the version you saw?

No smoke, just an explosion with a small ring of fire and droplets of blood flying into the air and raining down with loud thuds.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
^ Ah, thanks.

frentymon wrote:
Wow, if the beginning part of Speed Grapher already earned a C/C+, I can't even imagine what grade the later DVDs are going to get as the series moves into its "freak of the week."

The "freak of the weak" thing is only for about 5 episodes or so during the first half of the series. The latter portion of the series is much better, actually.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
First time I actually read a review from top to bottom. Very good read, too. I believe it was as accurate as how I would've reviewed Speed Grapher. But with much better writing skills. Smile
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Well this gets knocked off my Netflix quere. Looked pretty damn cool too.

I'm exactly the opposite. I'm not drawn to action series at all so when I first heard about this title I thought "snooze-fest," but the review was so funny and well-written that it made me really, really curious to see the show for myself. I'm going to rent this, just for the fun of it, mainly due to Zac's review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually wanted to see this because Taliesin Jaffie worked on the dub (he was in Fort Worth)...

at least, I remember hearing that he co-directed with Chris Bevins

... anyway, Taliesin is doing Beck, so I'm pretty sure that will be great

This actually sorta reminds me of Gantz (the whole guilty pleasure thing, which was fun)

I might wanna check it out (somehow)
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
sionEmber wrote:
I saw the first 4 episodes of Speed Grapher at A-kon, and I disagree with the review 95%. The blood and sex was what actually kept me on my seat, and the other audience members must have felt the same way. Some people think Full Metal Alchemist is an awesome show and others think its boring. Preference is what it comes down to....and what's the deal with the box? Does it look really cool and pretty? I can't find a picture of it at the right stuff website.

I'm gonna go a little further and say I disagree with 97% of the Review Laughing Seriously though, you can't go into every show expecting a certain storyline or assume relevence. I didn't get to see the last several episodes of this show, but Speed Grapher definitely delivers. And it's also better then the other Gonzo shows yet to be released, Basilisk and Trinity Blood (Trigun with Vampires Rolling Eyes )
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first volume, and must mostly agree with Zac's take on things. The artistry and technical merits are unquestionably far below Gonzo's recent standards; if this isn't the shabbiest-looking title they've done to date, I want to know what is.

While I find Saiga, Kagura, and that psycho policewoman and their situations interesting enough that I'll probably keep watching the series, I also did think the writing in the first volume was a let-down. There's a great gimmick here but it's being wasted on very ordinary, retreaded storytelling and a stale premise. (I found Trinity Blood's writing to be equally lacking, though, so GONZO's been cooling off after peaking with Last Exile and Gankutsuou.) The dub job is what ultimately saved the title for me, as it captures exactly the kind of tone GONZO was aiming for when they made the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote
I think I can sum up my total exposure to Speed Grapher as being the clip in AMV Hell 3 where spoiler[some crazy dentist does things to a girl's teeth that are definitely notcovered by her insurance policy Shocked ], and I didn't even know it was from Speed Grapher at the time. I'll watch GANTZ one of these days, but in general, graphic/violent/disturbing anime has to have some sort of a balancing factor to be appealing to me, like the gritty visual and experimental storytelling of Texhnolyze, the war lessons of NTHT, or the cute girls / emotional backstory of Elfen Lied. If that balance isn't there, I'll usually pass a given anime up in favor of something lighter/cuter. So, I shan't be buying Speed Grapher, but neither will I steal it.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
if this isn't the shabbiest-looking title they've done to date, I want to know what is.

Garasu no kantai/Glass Fleet which is not only shabby, it's the worst anime I've seen in a long, long time. If the absolutely abysmal animation wasn't enough, the story is so stupid it hurts, the characters are either superfluous or two-dimensional poseurs, but all idiots, the action is silly and the "comic relief" is not funny at all (unless stuff like knocking glasses off a character and having him search for them desperately makes you laugh). Really, the whole thing is so bad it's embarrassing.

(And to add insult to injury, it's a joint production between Gonzo and SATELIGHT, of all studios.)
JoeC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I've never posted here before but I felt the need when I saw this awful one-sided review. Give us a break, this is almost as bad as when I read the movie reviews in a local paper (Tucson Weekly) where the reviewer hates everything that isn't artsy-fartsy.

I've agreed with this reviewer alot in the past but this one is just plain wrong. I've watched this show and yes, you can't take it completely seriously. I never got the impression that it was supposed to be taken seriously though. Its a comedy in many ways. (See the character Bob for example) I would use the old line that, "It's so bad its great!" but I didn't think it was bad at all.

It's not a masterpiece theater, but its not supposed to be. Seriously I think your being way too critical. Some times you just got to enjoy the sex and violence for the sex and violence. Every one I saw this show with loved it. Of course we are all demented. What's the point of having cheesy looking characters if you can't have them be killed off violently?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Just because a series has one character for comic relief, or a couple of mildly funny scenes, does not make it a comedy. Speed Grapher is absolutely not that - or at least, it's not intended as that.

And although I agree with you to a point about the sex and violence, JoeC, this is hardly a good example to support your case. You want good graphic content that's used well? Look at Elfen Lied or Kite or Ninja Scroll. All are not only far more graphic but use it much more impressively and effectively. Speed Grapher just looks like a cheesy wannabe.

And I would point out, guys n' gals, that Zac didn't totally condemn the series. He did say it was interesting despite its problems and might work for some people. And he's right about that. But let's not mistake this for being a top-quality series just becase it can be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
Well this gets knocked off my Netflix quere. Looked pretty damn cool too.

I'm exactly the opposite. I'm not drawn to action series at all so when I first heard about this title I thought "snooze-fest," but the review was so funny and well-written that it made me really, really curious to see the show for myself. I'm going to rent this, just for the fun of it, mainly due to Zac's review.

I have nothing against slow, cerebral series (Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze are in my top five), but this series sounds like it has more problems than that to begin with. Right now I'm in a phase of watching alot of lighter, mainstream series simply because most of the manga I read is generally dramatic and often a bit slow. That doesn't mean I don't love dark, cerebral thought-provokers, but when I get the choice of seeing an anime that may or may not be mediocre and seeing a movie like "The Virgin Spring," I'll pick the later and wait to see if the anime improves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5