• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simultaneously Offer Kodansha Manga in 170 Countries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru doesn't work in US. lol
Request != people will buy it. Most US otaku just request stuffs for fun, they don't buy them.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
There are a few titles in there id buy if printed, but im not at all interested in digital
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Request != people will buy it. Most US otaku just request stuffs for fun, they don't buy them.

Then they shouldn't even ask if that is the attitude. I only request things I will buy and I will buy Chihayafuru.

If Chihayafuru is added to this service I will subscribe otherwise I am not interested personally.

I don;t even really like reading manga Online. I prefer for the Kindle or regular book form, it's only for titles I really want to read that I make the exception. Chihayafuru is one of those.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Then they shouldn't even ask if that is the attitude. I only request things I will buy and I will buy Chihayafuru.

If Chihayafuru is added to this service I will subscribe otherwise I am not interested personally.

I don;t even really like reading manga Online. I prefer for the Kindle or regular book form, it's only for titles I really want to read that I make the exception. Chihayafuru is one of those.

dude, sometimes, they said they don't like the translation and the fan sub version is better. OR too expensive, few frames of error. so many excuses to not to buy.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
While this is good news for people who like reading digital manga, I am going to take a pass on it. I like reading physical manga.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Most US otaku just request stuffs for fun, they don't buy them.

That's a pretty massive assumption, don't you think? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Shiratori1 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting. The fact that it I has iOS support, and you can read the entire back catalog for a monthly fee is really tempting.

But, I gotta be honest, at least with something like Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump when I buy new issues I keep having access to them, even after I unsubscribe.

I wish Crunchyroll would offer some kind of 'anthology' option. Where you could buy a compilation of the most recent chapters on a weekly, bi-monthly, or even monthly basis. That would continue be available to me Sub or not. I don't even care if I have back catalog access because A) I'm more inclined to buy the collections I'm interested in via Amazon Kindle. and B) I'm totally okay with coming into an ongoing series mid-stride.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Space Brothers & Attack on Titans are the only ones that interest me but unfortunately not enough for the price.

Now if they add Chihayafuru I might consider.

From what I see Space Brothers is weekly and Attack on Titan is monthly, so worst case scenario you are paying $1 a chapter each month at the manga subscription rate and that's assuming you don't find any other manga that interest you after trying them. Seems quite reasonable to me.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

dude, sometimes, they said they don't like the translation and the fan sub version is better. OR too expensive, few frames of error. so many excuses to not to buy.

What the hell are you talking about? I am not making any excuses. I am not buying because the one series from Kodansha I'd want to read Online as it is released from Japan is not there. So why should I buy? There is nothing for me to buy.

I am not going to read any of the series they have offered. The two series I have interest in: Attack on Titans is already licensed in the US in formats I prefer & Space Brothers anime is still going strong so I don't even need the manga to follow the series.

I am not reading scanlations for series that they have licensed for this service, only for the one that they haven't. So what excuse am I making?

GW Otaku wrote:

From what I see Space Brothers is weekly and Attack on Titan is monthly, so worst case scenario you are paying $1 a chapter each month at the manga subscription rate and that's assuming you don't find any other manga that interest you after trying them. Seems quite reasonable to me.

As you can see from my statement above because there are other ways for me to experience the Attack on Titan and Space Brothers story if I wish its not personally worth the cost for me.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
This was bound to happen eventually. I'm excited to see how this will end up. $4.99 for 12 different manga right now is kinda pricey. But give it a year and it will be well worth it. I wonder if it's going to have a shared Anime/Manga subscription?

$4.99,pricey?really!?that's cheap for manga.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

Once English readers started to accept reading manga read right-to-left during the manga boom of the early 2000's, that removed a HUGE barrier to making translated manga available. Indeed, this may be a preview of the time when even in Japan, readers will get the latest issue of their favorite manga anthologies not by buying it in physical form in a store, but on a full digital download. Yes, it's a radical change, but that change is starting to happen....
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Nah, manga anthology mags will still be in physical form as long as you have the demographic of salarymen who buy an issue to read on the commute then throw it away in the trash afterwards.

Plus the mags are meant to be disposable in Japan; you're supposed to buy the volumes if you want to own a series.
The fact that those of us who suscribe to/buy English WSJ can read bought issues way later is, in a sense and with respect to how the business works originally, actually absurd.

Last edited by Somewhere on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Free users can read only the latest chapters with ad support, while paid subscribers can read all manga including catalog titles.

So, cheapskates, you can continue to be cheap.

And people who are going to pay, you aren't just paying for that month's manga, you will get access to the back files too. It is a sweet deal.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Other important question.

Will we beable to download material to our mobile devices for offline reading?

Because that could be a huge deal breaker if not. Even if we can only download a limited amount at a time (as I believe Marvel Comics allows with their Marvel Unlimited service) being able to read comics offline is a huge deal.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Will we beable to download material to our mobile devices for offline reading?

This really is the crux of it, and why Crunchyroll's last attempt (JManga), failed so badly. Their online interface was horrible and slow. They kept promising desktop and iOS apps but never delivering. To have a chance of success Crunchyroll really have to do a good interface for reading. And get reading apps out quickly.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
The stars here are only 2, Uchuu kyoudai and Shingeki no kyoujin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6