• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier Film Box Adds New Footage, English Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
Hmm... The vast majority of NA otaku buys 59.99$ barebone releases without complaining, but when Japan generously offers their extensive & high quality releases along w/ english subtitles they won't support it Shocked .

It's like most NA otaku don't like quality releases, and would rather buy 3 barebones for ~180$ rather than one really great release for 150-170$.

I for one am highly supportive of these types of releases, as you many times can sense all the work that was put into the product, unlike many releases we get over here... I have seen most of the Macross Frontier series & have heard good things about these movies, so i'll most likely be getting them Very Happy !

What kind of extras are going to make buying two movies worth over a hundred dollars? A good box? Some artwork? Promotional material like commercials and trailers? What the eff would I need commercials for? I'm watching the movies themselves already! An interview I can get off the internet? Some crappy poster? Do those really hike the value up to over 100 bucks?

The video quality is going to be the same on the discs as in any bare bones release, right? The video, the actual movies, are the thing, right? If I watch a Macross movie on a bare bones release, it's the same movie as the one in the super deluxe version, right?

Unless the box is encrusted with diamonds and rubies and full of steak and cupcakes, I'm not forking over a hundy for two movies. They're movies.

This is why you can't have nice things.

I spent over $100 each on a number of movies (The Nanoha ones in particular) and they are far superior to the second rate releases we get over here. So, enjoy mediocre releases cause you won't pay for quality.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

We in North America are really REALLY spoiled with our media pricing. There are a lot of media buyers in North America, publishers make a ton of money on volume sales. Not so much in a country like Japan, which is about the size of a single STATE. They have to make their profits on individual sales. Their culture is much more used to paying a premium.

The physical size of the country has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Japan still has a population of nearly 130 million people crammed into its landmass (admittedly an ageing population but still we're not talking about it being the size of a state AND the population of one here). It's all about their business model. They set a profit target estimate how many units they can expect to sell at a particular price to make a profit based on historical sales, market research, viewer ratings, and so forth, and produce that many and sell at that price. Anime even in Japan, relative to the rest of the country is still somewhat of a niche market, albeit nowhere near as much as it is outside of Japan.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
The Blu-ray Disc version of the box will cost 16,800 yen (about US$168), while the DVD version will cost 14,800 yen (US$148).

Yeah, hahahaha, no. Laughing

Is the set bejeweled?

100% with you on this. 170$+s&h+taxes is preposterous for 2 films.
They can keep it. Laughing
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
The Blu-ray Disc version of the box will cost 16,800 yen (about US$168), while the DVD version will cost 14,800 yen (US$148).

Yeah, hahahaha, no. Laughing

Is the set bejeweled?

100% with you on this. 170$+s&h+taxes is preposterous for 2 films.
They can keep it. Laughing

Taxes? On an internet purchase? Does anyone actually pay taxes on things they buy online?

Seriously.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

Taxes? On an internet purchase? Does anyone actually pay taxes on things they buy online?

Seriously.

Way to miss the forest for the trees.
Any way you slice it, 100$ for one film is just preposterous.
You can rationalize saying you're doing your good otaku job of sustaining the industry. But at the end of the line you're still spending a Franklin for a freaking movie. It's just not worth it. No film is worth it. Wether anime or live action.
Yeah yeah I'm a bad otaku. Always looklng to save a few bucks. Twisted Evil
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

It's just not worth it. No film is worth it. :

Add "to me" to each of those and you'll realize you're presenting your opinion as fact. They aren't worth the price tag to you. Good. Nice to see you are a human who can place value differently than other humans. But to some other anime fans, the superior quality of Japanese releases, such as this one, are indeed worth it. To them. To me.

Quality trumps cost savings. I'd rather drive a BMW than a Kia.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Damn you Macross for finally listening to my suggestion to subtitle there own DVD and tell Harmony Gold to go suck it!

I own the first two "special" Blu rays with no subtitles, I want these so bad! Guess it is Christmas!

I don't know why more companies don't do this. I think if the Anime distributors had done this 6-7 years ago they would have sold a lot more export DVDs. Now with digital download maybe not so much, but Macross is inaccessible in USA due to copyright issues, so this makes a lot of sense.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
Hmm... The vast majority of NA otaku buys 59.99$ barebone releases without complaining, but when Japan generously offers their extensive & high quality releases along w/ english subtitles they won't support it Shocked .

It's like most NA otaku don't like quality releases, and would rather buy 3 barebones for ~180$ rather than one really great release for 150-170$.

I for one am highly supportive of these types of releases, as you many times can sense all the work that was put into the product, unlike many releases we get over here... I have seen most of the Macross Frontier series & have heard good things about these movies, so i'll most likely be getting them Very Happy !

What kind of extras are going to make buying two movies worth over a hundred dollars? A good box? Some artwork? Promotional material like commercials and trailers? What the eff would I need commercials for? I'm watching the movies themselves already! An interview I can get off the internet? Some crappy poster? Do those really hike the value up to over 100 bucks?

The video quality is going to be the same on the discs as in any bare bones release, right? The video, the actual movies, are the thing, right? If I watch a Macross movie on a bare bones release, it's the same movie as the one in the super deluxe version, right?

Unless the box is encrusted with diamonds and rubies and full of steak and cupcakes, I'm not forking over a hundy for two movies. They're movies.

While I agree with all of your arguments, a couple things.

We in North America are really REALLY spoiled with our media pricing. There are a lot of media buyers in North America, publishers make a ton of money on volume sales. Not so much in a country like Japan, which is about the size of a single STATE. They have to make their profits on individual sales. Their culture is much more used to paying a premium.

Their also really into the whole 'collectors edition' crap. Frankly I can do without it. Like you say, it should be about the MOVIES. But that's not where the profits lie in Japan. In Japan its all about the junk that comes with the movies.

This is not a North American release, so you can't expect a North American price point. That's just the way it is. So if you want to watch the movies, you gotta pay.

I wish Aniplex would release that when they DO release North America releases at Japanese price points. If they were about the fans tehy would go for volume of sales here in the America instead of thinking we're all Japanese and can pay 90 dollars for 7 episodes.

Ranka is best girl
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
You do realize that this has nothing to do with any American release, right?

This is a Japanese box set sold in, primarily, Japan. Aniplex has NOTHING to do with this release, it's Bandai Namco.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
I am so excited for this! I was really hoping for the movies to get English subtitles! I actually like them a bit more than the TV series. I will definitely get this box set.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I wish Aniplex would release that when they DO release North America releases at Japanese price points. If they were about the fans tehy would go for volume of sales here in the America instead of thinking we're all Japanese and can pay 90 dollars for 7 episodes.

Those are not Japanese prices. 200 dollars for 7 episodes are Japanese prices.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
You do realize that this has nothing to do with any American release, right?

This is a Japanese box set sold in, primarily, Japan. Aniplex has NOTHING to do with this release, it's Bandai Namco.

Oh you're so cute. How many japanese in japan do you know that are buying this release for its english subtitles ? Guess a number. Yeah its absolutely zero.
This release is as much about the japanese otaku as the foreign otaku.
So while Aniplex has nothing to do with it, Bandai Namco is killing 2 birds with a single shot.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yes, Captain, I agree. Few Japanese people care about this extra effort being taken on the Japanese release of this anime. It is all about throwing a bone to English-speaking fans.

However, this is still a Japanese release priced for the Japanese market.

And you're looking a gift horse in its mouth. Ingrate.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, it isn't the series but hell, I'll take it. Cool
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Do you really get all that many diamonds and rubies for even ~$180 these days (ignoring the movies themselves, along with the steak and cupcakes)?

While I own the original movie singles, I'll probably buy the set. I've seen negative comments about the subtitles of the Macross Plus movie that was in the Macross Plus OVA/movie BD box (which I own, but have yet to glance at), so I'll probably wait to see what people have to say about the Frontier movies' subtitles before I click on the 'purchase' button.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5