• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noir Blu-ray Box's Remastering Previewed in Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
yuetheguardian wrote:
not to sound like the bitter fanboy but why is this series even worth the upgrade, the dialogue was terrible the pacing terrible the action scenes and the music its saving graces. i just can't get behind this series my friend recommended this series so we sat and watched it together got about 1/2 way through it took some alcohol but we only got 1/2 way through it. so for those of you who look fondly on it try rewatching it again and see if you still enjoy it.

I've re-watched it several times and enjoy it more each time I re-watch it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, this could be my very first double dip in anime (also accented by the fact that I absolutely love Noir). I have the entire original release of Noir on DVD, but a Blu-ray release would equal more awesome.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Noir, but I suppose it'd be worth waiting for this to get released first.
rydia251

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what the chance is that Funimation picks this up in a year or two. I'm sure they would want it, and there is precedence with the Lain and Bebop BD pickups, so I suppose it may depend on the JP licensor. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Surrender Artist must be off making surrender art or something, I was expecting him to be one of the first posts. Maybe he is just paralyzed with joy.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Noir was animated on cels, I've seen a fair number of them for sale, plus a few were on display at the special screening they did.

That is good to know, thanks. This gives me more confidence that Noir on BD could look glorious.

rydia251 wrote:
Wonder what the chance is that Funimation picks this up in a year or two. I'm sure they would want it, and there is precedence with the Lain and Bebop BD pickups, so I suppose it may depend on the JP licensor. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I also think Funimation would like to have it. But I wonder if Sentai is in a better position to get it since Noir was first licensed by them when the company was ADV.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Would definitely be interested in upgrading if it got brought over.
rydia251

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I also think Funimation would like to have it. But I wonder if Sentai is in a better position to get it since Noir was first licensed by them when the company was ADV.

I think it would be Funimation if anyone since they released it on DVD under the Anime Classics line in 2011 and I assume still hold the DVD license. Would be strange to see a DVD release from one licensee and BD release from another of the same product.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I think it would be Funimation if anyone since they released it on DVD under the Anime Classics line in 2011 and I assume still hold the DVD license. Would be strange to see a DVD release from one licensee and BD release from another of the same product.

I think you are thinking of El Cazador de la Bruja.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Surrender Artist must be off making surrender art or something, I was expecting him to be one of the first posts. Maybe he is just paralyzed with joy.

Hey, I have a job, you know. (And I just went back to it after taking a week of leave for Christmas...) But, yeah, this is really cool.

I had been under the impression that Noir was 'digipaint' show and thus a waste of time to put on Blu-ray disc, but if they have the right materials for it to look good, then I'm seriously interested. I've never bought a Japanese release and I'm still not chomping at the bit to do so, but if there's no sign of an American company considering licensing this, then I could imagine this being my first.

I like Noir a lot. Even when I try to concentrate on its faults, I can't stop loving it. It's one of my favorite series and I think that it's lush backgrounds or some of its action scenes could make a Blu-ray disc version worth buying.

I'm a little surprised that the series still has the cachet to merit a new release thirteen years after it first aired. I guess that the small band of loyal lunatics isn't quite as small, but is as loyal as I'd thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rydia251

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

No, Funi rescued it, here is the RightStuf link. You had me doubting myself for a moment though.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I adore this show. I own two releases of it now (the artbox set from 2003 and the thinpack set from 2008) as well as all three OST's and I'd have no problem tripple dipping for a BD release. Something about this show, that I haven't been able to clearly define, has always struck a chord with me, every time I've watched it.

So, if Funi or Sentai pick it up, I'll buy it - I promise. If they don't, there is a fairly high probability that I'll import it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Why remaster such a lackluster television series? I'm surprised anyone even remembers it.

It's kind of funny that, until recently, Yuki Kajiura scored almost exclusively terrible shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

No, Funi rescued it, here is the RightStuf link. You had me doubting myself for a moment though.

You are right. I totally forgot; probably because I own the ADV set.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Why remaster such a lackluster television series? I'm surprised anyone even remembers it.

It's kind of funny that, until recently, Yuki Kajiura scored almost exclusively terrible shows.

Feel the free-floating hostility
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
...I like Noir a lot. Even when I try to concentrate on its faults, I can't stop loving it. It's one of my favorite series and I think that it's lush backgrounds or some of its action scenes could make a Blu-ray disc version worth buying...

It's my favourite anime TV series. I have a theory that it appeals to older male viewers, who appreciate Mireille's qualities and development, and who appreciate its exploration of guilt and redemption. Younger viewers expecting action and fan-service may be disappointed by its considered approach to its themes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3