• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yuichi Nakamura Has Guest Role on This Week's My Little Pony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Mr Sinister wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I really don't get the appeal of his show for older audiences

Many people say the same about young anime, so just get used to it.

Seriously, the blinders some people have on are just ridiculous.

There's a pretty big difference between anime and this, though. It makes sense for anime.

Fans have compared MLP to several magical girl anime. If it makes sense for magical girl anime to have fans, then it makes sense for this.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Mr Sinister wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I really don't get the appeal of his show for older audiences

Many people say the same about young anime, so just get used to it.

Seriously, the blinders some people have on are just ridiculous.

There's a pretty big difference between anime and this, though. It makes sense for anime.

Uh, no, no. People are as confused about it as young anime.
(Guessing ya haven't met many of these people?)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Wait, you mean FiM really IS a Japanese show? Shocked

(It just, y'know....looks like every American high-school girl's bad wishful idea of "anime style", and given to a Cartoon Network Flash-animator.
Just not French-Canadian, like "Totally Spies".)
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Wait, you mean FiM really IS a Japanese show? Shocked

(It just, y'know....looks like every American high-school girl's bad wishful idea of "anime style", and given to a Cartoon Network Flash-animator.
Just not French-Canadian, like "Totally Spies".)

Heavens no. But it was made by one of the key writers of several Cartoon Network cartoons such as "The Powerpuff Girls" and "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends".

It also inspired anime director and character designer Yoh Yoshinari to make this lovely set of artwork.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
That it some pretty awesome artwork.

Anywho, I find the comment back on the first about "it makes sense for anime" but not MLP pretty hilarious. Laughing

Any who it's pretty crazy how big the show has gotten, currently in the middle of its 4th season with a 5th confirmed by Show staff & Hasbro, at this point it's set to become the longest running Hasbro cartoon ever, even the original G.I.Joe & Transformers didn't break the 100 episode barrier ( although they came close). But yeah, at the end of season 4 there will be 91 pony eps, so even if season 5 is just a short 13 episodes like S3 was it'll break that 100 episode barrier. Pretty impressive.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Fans have compared MLP to several magical girl anime. If it makes sense for magical girl anime to have fans, then it makes sense for this.

Fans say a lot of things which are not true.. most comparisons to anime of western properties are done so out of some desperate attempt to fit into another subculture.

I have yet to see anything in MLP that even puts it near the levels of Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Princess Tutu, or Pretty Cure. Those shows have some actual substance to them, and things MLP would never even dare to do because the censors would slap them silly and its not 'kid friendly. They are on completely different levels. Kids anime and kids cartoons have totally different levels of content and writing attitudes and it helps that children's anime in Japan caters to adults all the time with merchandise and products for them, while My Little Pony still has not.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Anywho, I find the comment back on the first about "it makes sense for anime" but not MLP pretty hilarious. Laughing

Any who it's pretty crazy how big the show has gotten, currently in the middle of its 4th season with a 5th confirmed by Show staff & Hasbro, at this point it's set to become the longest running Hasbro cartoon ever, even the original G.I.Joe & Transformers didn't break the 100 episode barrier ( although they came close). But yeah, at the end of season 4 there will be 91 pony eps, so even if season 5 is just a short 13 episodes like S3 was it'll break that 100 episode barrier. Pretty impressive.

And lord knows how long Nick has been subjecting Spongebob Squarepants on us. Mad
But show length, or having a "cult" audience with its own more than subjectively askew (mis)interpretation of the show pumping up adult numbers it wouldn't normally have gotten on its own doesn't make Spongebob a "classic" or "unique". It just means we've got some nuts who want to call attention to their own self-image by tying it in to some pop-culture hobby they happened to hijack, for the sake of creating their own fan niche to call attention to it.

And laugh yerself silly, but it IS different: Fans of cute anime shows are watching the shows for the shows, not claiming that they watch the shows for the shows when they're really more interested in the membership card.
If you were a subbed-Moon fan who said Mercury was your favorite character, the anime fans who also watched it might say, "Oh, you like the shy one who's learning to break out and get a little self-image with the help of her friends?", and those who didn't watch the show would say "Oh, you got the hots for the smart blue-haired one? Very Happy "
Either way, they might be correct...But that's as far as it ever went.
I wouldn't get that (ahem) "pride" in being "socially persecuted" that I watched a show everyone else thought was a ridiculous girls-afternoon show, we just happened to get a better glimpse of a show that we found better written than most hyperactive, self-amusing and franchise-commercialized American cartoons at the time.
As a matter of fact, most Japanese producers DO think teenage guys are watching the magical girl shows, because they have the hots for the shy blue-haired one, and given their society over there, that's pretty much a given.

It goes way beyond "Get over yourselves", and all the way into "How about just coming clean with what you're REALLY doing, because the smug-cutesy 'We're not really what you think! (cute Dr. Evil finger-pose)' is what's publicly turning everyone off." Yes, you are, now knock it off.
MLP may not really be "the Bi-Curious Show" for isolated teenagers who want to experiment with finding a supportive huggy-group cult for their confused identity, but at least when Moon, Tutu, Sakura, or any anime fans talk about their show, we talk about the show. Y'know, the one the writers and directors had in mind.
Try that, sometime, and see how far you get. You do know the people who make the show don't even LIKE you, do you? Razz

(Okay, sometimes we like to claim to being Princess Tutu fans just to see the look on the faces of people who haven't seen it, just so they'll go home, look up the show for the first time to make some jokes about it, and then we get to imagine the look on THEIR faces... Wink )
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Think whatever the heck yea want dood, but believe it or not people DO watch the show for the show! And if you wanna play the membership card card, plenty of anime fans have been doing that over the decades as well.

Length yea, Spongebob has been on waay to long I agree, but so has One Piece.

And people do talk about the show, the writers, etc.

Guess what Eric, different people like different things, I watch MLP because I like it, I like the world, the characters & the writing. I like talking about the characters with other fans and which writer is best at writing which character. Believe it or not FANS DO TALK ABOUT THE SHOW. And just like with anime get into really long and silly debates about various aspects or actions of characters/episodes.

Get over yourself! The club, the fickleness, All the crap you just said applies to anime and anything else as well! Ecspecislly anime.

Hell MLP is more satisfying to watch then then most the rest of the crap Japan & America pump out to put on television screens.

Honestly Eric it's hypocritical fans like you that are constantly reminding me why I care less & less about anime as time goes bye, and heck just less for the Internet in general.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

Fans say a lot of things which are not true.. most comparisons to anime of western properties are done so out of some desperate attempt to fit into another subculture.

I have yet to see anything in MLP that even puts it near the levels of Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Princess Tutu, or Pretty Cure. Those shows have some actual substance to them, and things MLP would never even dare to do because the censors would slap them silly and its not 'kid friendly. They are on completely different levels. Kids anime and kids cartoons have totally different levels of content and writing attitudes and it helps that children's anime in Japan caters to adults all the time with merchandise and products for them, while My Little Pony still has not.

You have no clue do you? There are plenty of merchandise for the older fans of MLP,such as the Doctor Whooves vinyl figure I own. Face it you attitude is just "Stop liking what I don't like".
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

You have no clue do you? There are plenty of merchandise for the older fans of MLP,such as the Doctor Whooves vinyl figure I own. Face it you attitude is just "Stop liking what I don't like".

I think he means since it doesn't have super edgy violent or sexual content or make boob mouse pads it can't be a kids show that adults like as well.

Which that very notion is indeed ridiculous and just shows how people continue to falsely personify adult as a label always synonymous with man's most primal urges, as opposed to just a general labeling of an age group like child, Tween, Teen, senior citizen, etc.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Fabe wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

I think he means since it doesn't have super edgy violent or sexual content or make boob mouse pads it can't be a kids show that adults like as well.

Which that very notion is indeed ridiculous and just shows how people continue to falsely personify adult as a label always synonymous with man's most primal urges, as opposed to just a general labeling of an age group like child, Tween, Teen, senior citizen, etc.

AH right,if you can't buy hyper-sexualized toys based on a children's TV show then adults shouldn't be watching that show. makes sense.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

And I firmly believe that the "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "The Big Lebowski", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" references among other things to give a friendly nod to the adults watching (whether with their children or not) say otherwise. They're what hooked many an older viewer in, but it's the characters and substance of the show that keep them in. Hell, the only reason I started watching the show at all is because I heard the creator based a character on Q, one of my favorite "Star Trek" villains for as long as I could conceivably remember, and got the same actor to play him. I stayed because I was so fascinated by how much more layered the characters were from what I expected: for instance, bubbly party thrower isn't silly and random for the sake of it, but because it seems to make her friends happy, and their happiness is her happiness, causing her to become depressed whenever she feels abandoned or replaced. There are many more characterizations like this, and they rival, or in some cases even surpass, several characters from other magical girl anime I've seen.

It's kind of like "Wreck-It Ralph"; a good number of its audience flocked because of the old video game references the younger generation was likely not to get, not quite expecting it to be the solid, rich, heartfelt movie it turned out to be. And I sincerely doubt all the people who raged how it lost the Academy Award to Brave were the younguns.

You see, "kid-friendly" does not mean "good only for kids".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Inoue Kikuko is Princess Celestia? How fitting. Her voice is heavenly.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

(....Reeeeeallllly? Wouldn't think that goes both ways, would you? Rolling Eyes )

Quote:
And I firmly believe that the "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "The Big Lebowski", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" references among other things to give a friendly nod to the adults watching.

And like most anime fans who've despaired of US animation, I firmly believe it's immature attention-deficited ex-CN Fosters/Powerpuff animators sniggeringly trying to amuse themselves.
(Ie., less like "Wreck-It Ralph", and more like the Disney animators jarringly trying to cram Chuck Jones fan-homage refs into "Princess & the Frog".)

If you're trying to persuade us that that's a good thing for the evolution of animated storytelling....boy, have you got it bad. Confused
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:

(....Reeeeeallllly? Wouldn't think that goes both ways, would you? Rolling Eyes )

Quote:
And I firmly believe that the "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "The Big Lebowski", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" references among other things to give a friendly nod to the adults watching.

And like most anime fans who've despaired of US animation, I firmly believe it's immature attention-deficited ex-CN Fosters/Powerpuff animators sniggeringly trying to amuse themselves.
(Ie., less like "Wreck-It Ralph", and more like the Disney animators jarringly trying to cram Chuck Jones fan-homage refs into "Princess & the Frog".)

If you're trying to persuade us that that's a good thing for the evolution of animated storytelling....boy, have you got it bad. Confused

Your not any better, your delusional, overly bias, elitist, small minded nature towards what constitutes a good animation is pretty harmful.

Also you ignore all the negative things anime do! Wanna talk about immature, how about a medium dedicated to making new fap material for lonely Horney otaku. Your "adult" Anime like Family Guy is much more Immature then most children's programs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3