• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade & Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone here play the game? I'm just curious if these enemy characters appear in it. The only thing I know about the game is Pohwaran, but that's just from the art and I washed a fight against her once.

As for the show, I'm finding that the characters are pretty weak but the T&A and action aren't high enough quality to save it. I'll stick with it for another ep or 2. It is refreshing to see a setting like this though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
I thought episode 2 was really solid. I wonder what MC will do if she ever finds out that spoiler[Fox Eared Boy (I think he's a boy, a little hard to tell) sold her out and catches up with him?]

The character designs make comparisons to Queen's Blade inevitable, but the story-telling is definitely more serious. Very enjoyable.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
A couple of takeaways from the last episode:

1. Don't trust someone who gives you something for nothing -- that merchant spoiler[not only sold her out, but probably told whomever he sold that information to that he gave her a (very distinctive) pink shawl.]

2. Three-way Mexican stand-offs are pretty bloody. I did think it was interesting the way they shifted the audio to the MC's point-of-view.

3. That bounty-hunter chick is an idiot, or someone with a death wish, or both.

An decent episode, much like the first. It didn't blow me away, but it kept my attention and didn't to anything especially stupid (except maybe the bounty-hunter chick after the end fight was resolved).
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Episode 2...

I would like to compliment Blade and Soul for having the single worst animation scene of the year (so far). The 3-D animation of the bar chick dancing was so awkward and poorly integrated into the rest of the show I couldn't believe something like this could even be made in 2014. It was worst than the Fate/Stay Night Dragon, and I didn't believe anything could be worst than that.

Moving on...
This episode sucked. They're trying to make Alka into the strong, silent type, however it comes across as if she is utterly devoid of personality and has the IQ of a rock. Basically, as she currently is, she can't carry the show. The bounty hunter chick gave some much needed energy, but she was an one-note character composed entirely of cheap tropes. I didn't care much for her character design either, running around the city in only a bra I can write off to standard fantasy misogyny, but why is the bra two sizes too small? It's not only unpractical, it's looks damn uncomfortable as well. And the fight scene was pretty nice, but by that point my brain was numb from boredom, and it hardly registered.

So we have a plot that was generic and boring, animation that is reaching new lows, and lead character with all the personality of a hug pillow. Train wreck territory, here we come!

This comment sums up my thoughts pretty well. The dance looked like utter crap and i thought it would have been better not to even show it all than burning my innocent eyes with a flamethrower like that.

I too was utterly bored throughout most of this episode. That's because nothing really happened at all here. She walks through the village for like 6 minutes and it just shows us a bunch of random people doing stupid stuff. I guess it's to immerse us into the how people act in this world but it just felt tedious to watch. And did the girl the last episode who got her entire village destroyed just disappear or is she going to be back later? I think it would be weird if they just completely forgot about her.

Alka is only interesting when she's fighting but at every other point in the show she might as well not even been there. Even for a silent type she REALLY needs to be more talkative. Right now she is one of the most unappealing and boring characters i've seen. I'm having a hard time getting behind her character when she barely speaks 5 full sentences the entire time.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Episode 2...
I would like to compliment Blade and Soul for having the single worst animation scene of the year (so far). The 3-D animation of the bar chick dancing was so awkward and poorly integrated into the rest of the show I couldn't believe something like this could even be made in 2014. It was worst than the Fate/Stay Night Dragon, and I didn't believe anything could be worst than that.

Moving on...
This episode sucked. They're trying to make Alka into the strong, silent type, however it comes across as if she is utterly devoid of personality and has the IQ of a rock. Basically, as she currently is, she can't carry the show. The bounty hunter chick gave some much needed energy, but she was an one-note character composed entirely of cheap tropes. I didn't care much for her character design either, running around the city in only a bra I can write off to standard fantasy misogyny, but why is the bra two sizes too small? It's not only unpractical, it's looks damn uncomfortable as well. And the fight scene was pretty nice, but by that point my brain was numb from boredom, and it hardly registered.

I agree with most of what Melanchthon said. The 3D bar dancing was horrible. I'm ok with Alka being strong silent type in the first episode, but with the second episode continuing the same way she does feel like she's devoid of any personality. You can be strong and silent, just don't be a mute unless you really are one. Plus, yea I too found the 2 sizes too small bikini top to be ridiculous.

The episode itself was ok-ish, but I worry that she's just going to travel to another town/region from the game thereby giving the audience more views of places to go in the game. I hope that it doesn't go down that path of going from area to area, because that's not world-building.

I did like that the proprietress of the bar seems to be more than she lets on. She at least is mildly interesting.

leatherhead333 wrote:
And did the girl the last episode who got her entire village destroyed just disappear or is she going to be back later? I think it would be weird if they just completely forgot about her.

Good point. Maybe she can't leave her area in the game? It would have been more useful if we had a transition scene showing them going their separate ways.

Anyways, I'm still willing to hang around another episode or two and see if they can put something together to hold my attention. Maybe they will surprise me or maybe not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Can I ask something? What was so horrible about the dancing sequence? All three posters who have commented on it merely say its horrible without elaborating at all. I rewatched the segment and: a) it's pretty brief, b) the figure of the dancer is seen in the background until the very end when she's more in close up (very briefly), c) the movement seemed very smooth unlike the habitual jerkiness of anime's normal low frame rate.

So can somebody please explain why that brief segment is so terrible?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Our main character sure is a woman of few words.
That just means that support characters do a lot of talking.
This was an interesting episode even though not that much was going on.
Things got intense spoiler[near the episode end for a short while though.]
Still can't decide whether to keep watching it or drop it.
I'll give it at least one more episode.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Can I ask something? What was so horrible about the dancing sequence? All three posters who have commented on it merely say its horrible without elaborating at all. I rewatched the segment and: a) it's pretty brief, b) the figure of the dancer is seen in the background until the very end when she's more in close up (very briefly), c) the movement seemed very smooth unlike the habitual jerkiness of anime's normal low frame rate.

So can somebody please explain why that brief segment is so terrible?

Because it looked very much like it didn't belong in the show. Everyone else around her was animated normally which just made it stand out more than it should have. Her face is expressionless the entire time and she literally looks like some kind of robot instead of an actual person. I hate that crap.

I don't know why people prefer out place 3DCGI dancing sequences but I'll never approve of it until they make it properly fit into the show. Love Live! does that while mixing in actual animation and it only serves to make things look even MORE awkward than if it was completely 3DCGI. Just animate the whole thing!

I'll take a couple still shots with the excessive screenpans over that mess anytime. It's not like the dance itself served any purpose during the episode anyway. Seems like Kyoani are the only folks who have it figured out these days.

Yes i know dance sequences are difficult to animate but i always appreciate shows that at the very least ATTEMPT to make it look natural and less artificial.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

While there was not a lot of notice in the episode, and especially lack of animation, I actually do kind of like her whole silent image. I also thought that the spoiler[standoff] was brilliantly chaotic, and the fight with spoiler[bullets ricocheting] also looked really good.

My thought was that she could get some money out of her kills, but guess not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
@ leatherhead333 - it's true that the 3D stuff generally does not mesh well when mixed directly with the more traditional 2D look. I still can't understand why people lose their shit over it, though. Like I say, her dancing movements looked a lot more fluid than they would have if they used the traditional 2D look. It's a trade off. You get smoother (i.e. better animation) animation but people like you absolutely go mental because of the contrast of different styles.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people go mental. I'm one of them. Well, not mental, but it's jarring, it draws attention, it says "Hey, look at me!" but there's nothing to look at. It's like an alien strolls into the bar and starts dancing, and then the show carries on. It's like a boom mic hanging out at the top of the screen. It's like a live-action man came out and hung up a TV to display a completely different show in the middle of an anime. All in all, it breaks immersion, and a lot of people don't want their crazy cartoon story time interrupted by consideration of the production process.

(There are shows that can use it interestingly, but Blade and Soul is not such a show)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad I'm not that ridiculous. OMG, IT'S NOT ON BLU-RAY, IT'S UNWATCHABLE!!! OMG, THAT 3D CGI LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM THE 2D STUFF AROUND IT!!!! AIYEEEEE!!!

There's definitely a segment of anime fandumb that's just absurdly visually sensy. Can we remove that pea from under the 16th mattress for you, Princesses? Rolling Eyes
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Blood- on this one. Although I agree that the 3D insert of Elle dancing seemed to have something of an "artificial" effect it was still quite well done and quite pretty. The bouncing bewbs I could live without but at least they didn't overdo it.

The fight scene at the end also used the same 3D techniques and I doubt they could have pulled it off otherwise. Bullets can't do that but what the hell. Neither can swords.

One thing I didn't like is at the end after the Mexican standoff we went from the scene of the alley-fight to the scene of a desert fight without hardly any transition. It is almost as if the story skipped a scene.

What I did like (but others didn't) is Alka wandering through the town with all the random scenes. I thought that was great to get some perspective on the scene. And it did set up the ambush of Alka.

I also sort of like Alka not talking a lot. The problem I have is she seems completely unmotivated -- no interest in having money, eating or drinking and apparently no need to. Even after hiking, wandering, and fighting all day.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Can I ask something? What was so horrible about the dancing sequence? All three posters who have commented on it merely say its horrible without elaborating at all.

I don't hate CG as a rule, some do but I don't. For example, I enjoyed the first episode of Knights of Sidonia, even though it wasn't always smooth and some movements felt artificial. At times it felt like there wasn't enough in between animation, if that makes sense. However, it still feels that visually it all blends blends in with the overall show. For Blade and Boobs the proprietress in the bar dance looks different from her other shots which immediately sends to my mind that something is off. Some of the movements like around the torso did not seem natural. Finally, there was the ED where she is dancing and she just looks like a marionette and once again I found some of her movements awkward. I actually get a little frustrated because I like the art for her face and head and its just like ruining a pretty picture by replacing it with a poor replica. All of this doesn't blend in with the rest of the show, it comes off awkward, is distracting and tends to kill some of the immersion for me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
I, too, had no problem with Alka being mostly mute. It's like she's turned everything off except the necessity of revenge. But, if you look at her actions rather than her (lack of) words, you'll start to learn things about her, like the fact that she is not heartless as there are people she could've killed but didn't, namely the spoiler[bounty hunter] in this episode.

Also, the proprietress was in the last episode, and the bounty hunter is in the picture for the series, so I expect both of them will make additional appearances in the series.

I also liked Alka wandering around the city. I *think* she was *trying* to spoiler[get someone to notice her without making it obvious. She wanted to get one of those soldier-guys from the kingdom she's against to jump her, so she could capture him and get info. This ended up backfiring as too many people showed up and her target died in the exchange.]

I don't think Alka is stupid at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9