• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Golden Time Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Watching this just made me have to double check that the characters were really supposed to be in college. Banri especially acted like a middle schooler with all his temper tantrums. These episodes were downright painful to watch. Not emotionally painful, just grating on my nerves painful. Finally I just stopped caring about them for the last 3 episodes and it went by much smoother. So I guess I'm the opposite of Carl. When you turn off all emotion and just don't care about the characters any more, it becomes a tolerable series.

Sorry, but I call bullshit. Do you really think people automatically become calm an mature once they reach collage? They don't. Especially when they are in relationships, people are pretty damn likely to act irrationally. In this case you also are looking at a character who is essentially dying or thinks he is from half way through. I feel like half the people complaining here have just ignored this section of the plot entirely.
timesteel

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
While I did enjoy this series when it aired, a week or two after it ended I watched White Album 2 and it completely blew me away.( To those of you who have not watched White Album 2 if you enjoy anime like Ef, Clannad, Myself Yourself or just any anime with good drama in general do your self a favor and watch this it's only 13 episodes long and is in a completely different league than the first white album which was horrible. Also white album 2 is pretty self contained there are just a few song references to white album but that is all.) as I was saying after I watched white album 2 I found my self reflecting on golden time and I came to realize just how mediocre of a show it really was. By the end of golden time I pretty much hated Kouko, and Banri was really getting on my nerves. The only real reason I kept watching was for the supporting characters like Linda and 2-D kun, who after 24 episodes should have gotten a lot more character development. Now here is what I think White Album 2 did better, 1. The Soundtrack is awesome, 2. The Characters are a lot more likeable and don't become repulsive over the length of the series, 3. The Drama is actually realistic no former personalities trying to usurp their former bodies here, 4. an ending that while semiconclusive wants you begging for more. 5. Realizing that the series only covers the introductory chapter and that there is still alot more to be potentially animated.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
What I liked about Golden Time was that there was constantly something going on which is rare for a romance anime of this length. I didn't have to grind through boring episodes to get to the good stuff. It was consistently good and that's what I liked about it.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
I loved Golden Time, it probably will rank in my top romance anime. I adored Kouko for some reason I'll never understand. But God, was pre-amnesia Banri insufferable. I wasn't really a fan of the ghost bits but since the story was so insistent on using them for drama I almost wanted to see a stand-off between old Banri and new Banri, just so he could see how much of a better person he had become.

I also agree that, at least pre-amnesia Banri, acted way too immature for his age. It was a little hard to believe his high school classmates we accepting of him. Post-amnesia Banri, strangely, seemed much more well-adjusted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
I loved the second half, but it was because I found the drama kinda good and more importantly, because i disliked both koko and banri, so as thing sbecame bad for them the show became really enjoyable, in the same way people enjoy shows when the villains start being punished for their crimes.
normajean19

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
That second opening song always bugged me though. Was a bit weird and ill fitting...

Same here! It was such a shame too, since the first opening was so good.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Golden Time knocked Toradora! out of the #3 spot on my "All Time Favorites" list. It now sits behind two shows that are practically immovable for me: Ah! My Goddess - my first love - the show that turned me into an anime fan and Spice and Wolf - one of the most intelligent and well written stories I have ever seen, with amazing visuals and music to back up the fantastic characters. But I digress...

I agree with many points Carl had about the show, but am not as picky about the direction. I feel, reading this review in comparison to his review of the first half of the series, that he started to understand what I said in the comments there, and other places: many of the issues attributed to direction are from the writing. Takemiya-sensei is inordinately fond of having little moments that don't seem important at first blush, then later in the story (sometimes much later, like volumes later) the real meaning of that seemingly unimportant moment hits you. She is a writer whose style requires a good memory. If you are the type who forgets small details, you will miss things. That is her style and it is a style that I enjoy. To a certain extent, there isn't a wasted scene in her writing. Everything means something, with the possible exception of a few of the jokes. (But even then there is sometimes depth hidden in the slapstick.)

As for the ending, I haven't read all of the final light novel, but from what I have read, it isn't rushed in comparison to the novel. I have seen at least one person who has read the novels say that they thought the series could have used a 9th book and that the 8th novel seemed a bit rushed, but I will not know if I agree with that until I am able to read it. My gut says no, however. Once the writing was on the wall and the events that lead Banri to the point he is at the beginning of the final episode the story is ready to be wrapped up. The use of some of those small details from earlier in the story to do the wrapping was exquisite! The character growth displayed, in particular by Kouko, is stunning.

One of the strengths of the show is the way the heavy, heartrending drama was almost always lightened by comedy. For Banri and Kouko, it is almost impossible to have a serious moment without a prat fall or sight gag, and that keeps the tone of the story lighter than it would be if the characters were allowed to wallow in their situations. Only at the end does the pattern break, and there it is eminently fitting to let the drama and heartfelt emotion win the day.

The biggest strength, in my opinion, is the realism of the emotions. The emotions of the characters come across as authentic, even with the memory loss and stuff.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
normajean19 wrote:
Letthemeatraep wrote:
That second opening song always bugged me though. Was a bit weird and ill fitting...

Same here! It was such a shame too, since the first opening was so good.

I had the exact opposite reaction, as I didn't find the first opening to be very memorable, and I still remember the beat and animation of the second opening. Plus, it was a really great song.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I loved the show at first, but the second half of the series just became bogged down and repetitive for me. I thought the direction went downhill toward a final episode that was just laughable and so over the top it destroyed any real emotion that might have been elicited from their situation. I wish they'd had a director who was a little more understated. It may or may not have been what the book was like, but that would have made it a better anime.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
chiaki kon is a weird case of directoin yeah, in one hand she always ruisn anythign she touches, you can always expect the adaptation to be worse than the originla material, it's only a matter of how worse; on the other hand she seems to be a logistic genious working with small budgets delivering relatively consistent quality on her worksand the episodes and pacing are generally balanced.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show. It was a romantic comedy with genuine comedy, which aren't as easy to find as they aught to be. It was also heartfelt. Koko's character in particular blew me away. I did not like her abusive, stalking, can't live without a man shtick at all, but she really grew up. For everyone complaining about Banri's one step forward, four steps back type of development, wasn't Koko's character growth satisfying? She also had ups and downs but her ups stuck.

As for Banri (takes a deep breath) Amnesia doesn't work that way! His struggles were both too unrealistic and too erratic for dramatic effect. But as much as I disliked that, the way his friends (the supporting characters) stood by him and wouldn't let go almost made up for it. I do wish spoiler[2D-kun had gotten more screentime, because as much as people are saying the author likes to foreshadow, there seemed to be no real foreshadowing for his important, friend saving actions at the end. ] The friendship and camaraderie really shown in this show all the way through.

The music was great. I grew to love the 2nd OP and would clap (and sometimes dance) along with the second ED.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I loved Golden Time, it probably will rank in my top romance anime. I adored Kouko for some reason I'll never understand. But God, was pre-amnesia Banri insufferable.

The Banri character had a lot of problems as a character (won't get into that now) but Koko is an amazing character.

Myself and many others (looking back at the real time postings) really disliked her at first. As late as two thirds of the way through there were still plenty of opinions around that she was a latent psycho that was going to boil the bunny any minute. Yet she managed to evolved from a repellant character that we all hoped would fade to the background to a highly sympathetic person we were all rooting for at the end. And she was still the same person. That's why you adore her.

Doesn't hurt that she's totally gorgeous.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
^she also has an amazing sense of style!
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely HATED Koko. Not as much as I hated the shitty ending, though.
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As sweet as it was, and as much as you can't help loving them, Koko and Banri's romance never quite felt real... Koko and Banri love each other going into these episodes, but in an uninformed and idealized kind of way. They are kids (experience-wise, Banri is only a year or so old), as much playing at having a relationship as actually having one.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!
Through episode 13, when I dropped this anime, I so didn't believe the Banri-Koko couple that I expected the anime would end with Koko getting together with the guy she originally had a crush on, leaving Banri broken-hearted.

Now I think I see why the relationship seemed so bloodless for so long.

Unless that was not the director's fault, as you imply further on in your review, but actually the author of the story simultaneously depicting those two kids' inexperience and setting us up for big surprises later...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2