• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo's Premise, New Characters Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
I think I'll try to get used to these new character designs...

Same here. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I do hope there are returning characters, though.

I am a bit disappointed that this is the 20th anniversery project, instead of something like a fourth Ryo-Ohki OVA.

I enjoy most of the other Tenchi spin offs (except Tenchi in Tokyo, wow that was a disappointment and actually made me like Tenchi as a whole less...). As long as it's fun to watch or decent I'll watch. Wish they would stop doing spinoffs and focus on the main series.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That art is terrible, I've seen far better just from unknown/lesser known artists on Pixiv.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't really wrap my head around the school uniforms. The skirts tie on the sides like a beach cover-up but instead we can see all the girls' underwear? I mean, they work in panty shots in fanservice shows anyway, but this just seems too silly to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll pass. Like the last time they tacked the Tenchi name to an irrelevant series and I passed on that to. The OAV plotline has such an expanded universe and background, if you want to do a Tenchi series, why not go from that stuff? Holy crap the adventures of Washu and Naja could have filled an entire series by itself. This is just a pointless money grab to squeeze the name for all it's worth
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Soul Tsukino wrote:
I'll pass. Like the last time they tacked the Tenchi name to an irrelevant series and I passed on that to. The OAV plotline has such an expanded universe and background, if you want to do a Tenchi series, why not go from that stuff? Holy crap the adventures of Washu and Naja could have filled an entire series by itself. This is just a pointless money grab to squeeze the name for all it's worth

The Japanese never tacked the TENCHI MUYO WER ERN GERMINER onto Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, that was FUNi trying to exploit a tangential relation between two series by calling it something barely related. It's exactly the same as calling El Hazard by "Tenchi Muyo: War on El Hazard" or "Tenchi Muyo: War on the Sandy Planet" for Photon. Yes I know Isekai actually does have a closer relation to Tenchi than those do since it's actually about Tenchi's relative, but the point is basically the same, that FUNi renamed it to try and market it under their Tenchi Umbrella.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to get past Hana's outfit with the "grope"-design stockings... Shocked
It just looks like those Benny Hill sketches, where a girl walked by where Benny was painting a wall.

(And why do we have Washuu still in the story, when it looks like we ALREADY have a crazy junior-scientist girl?
Up to this point, we thought the main characters were supposed to be rewritten non-canon equivalents of the "real" Tenchi characters, but if they're going to go all Negima on us, sheesh...
As it is, looks like the five-minute show will be focused on one student each.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen anything related to Tenchi before. But I definitely like the look of this. Largely because the art is fantastic. I wish it was longer though. I hope its open to first time Tenchi watchers because I want to check it out.

Yasuda is one of my favorite character designers, and he doesn't get to do anime art all that often.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I've never seen anything related to Tenchi before. But I definitely like the look of this.

(Please, please watch classic Tenchi. Preferably the Universe series.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I swear this artist has no range. All the designs he's done for anime/manga/games have the same look.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
I swear this artist has no range. All the designs he's done for anime/manga/games have the same look.

Same with Akira Toriyama(on an even worse level), but he still gets work
And again i will say, go look at more of his own work, character designs vary greatly, it's really only when he's hired to do stuff, the character designs look similar to other things, because that was what was okayed by the production team
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Looking like another quality harem for Tenchi.

So jelly.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
After the crushing disappointment of OVA 3, I take all new Tenchi with a truck of salt. Mmm, salt.

Funi's release of Isekai/War on Geminar made it seem like Just Another Fanservice Show, so I didn't get into it.

I'll be over here with classic Tenchi telling people to get off my lawn.

(I still need to replace my beat-up Geneon Tenchi Universe set. And the movies. in Tokyo honestly isn't worth replacing)
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm stoked for it. Don't know how anyone could be surprised with all the remakes coming out recently. Learn to love it, or die. Rolling Eyes
antvasima

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I am very disappointed. I was hoping that the original cast would at least show up. There is absolutely no reason to call this Tenchi Muyo, instead of something independent. And this is supposed to be for the ANNIVERSARY? What were AIC thinking? Sad
Lann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo casing disappointment? Neeevvvveeeerrrrrrr.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4