• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bartender (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
I'm only judging by the first episode, but I sort of like this show. It certainly doesn't light any fires in me, but it's a smooth, soothing, relaxing anime where you can just watch and unwind. The ambiance and "dimly lit" feel of this show is almost cathartic.

I have a feeling I'm going to use that "there are two professions which cannot betray" line some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bardok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Good idea penguintruth. That might be a decent pickup line if you're talking to a woman at a bar! I'm SO going to try it!
I've just seen episode two. It really steriotypes the honour and respect the japanese people have.
Damn bars with their heavy doors and little signs!

So far, i'm really enjoying it. It makes you want to make and try the drinks. Well it does for me anyway!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't like it. I stopped watching after the second episode when I found I failed to find any evidence that it was going to develop into something more. I do really like the subdued atmosphere, but everything just feels so contrived in the plots, and everyone just seems to be reading way too deeply into so many things... I just can't take it.

If I want to watched a "subdued" show, I'll watch Kamichu! or the like. I do really enjoy drinking, but watching other people drink drinks that some stranger can magically perfectly chose for them without knowing any of their tastes is a little too far fetched for me.

Last edited by selenta on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
The second episode seemed far less contrived to me, and far more cohesive. It certainly gave me cause to give the series a second chance. I'm going to be watching more episodes before deciding on whether to give it up.

The second episode was also a real tear-jerker. Those of you who know my tastes will realize that this is a major plus in my book. I love anime that make me weep, and this episode definitely uncorked the tearducts. Perhaps it's just because the storyline so closely resembled my own troubled family history, but it made me shed a tear or two, nonetheless.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone is still keeping up. I saw episode 9 the other day and have become gradually more impressed as the series continues on. All of the little moral lessons and themes of each story have a good diversity of being relatable or just plain entertaining, in particular the episode with the allusion to Hemingway.

The whole argument about how the backstory and Sasakura being too contrived is something I can get over. I mean, this is anime after all, and realistic shouldn't always be a requirement. Although, in a sense I suppose I'm also a hypocrite in saying this because I felt Misuzu's character in Air (TV) was way beyond contrived and conceited, being the sole factor in affecting my overall rating , but that's just me Rolling Eyes.

Anyway, this is definitely one of the finer produced titles in recent memory. Background art has a dim lighting to it, but some of the characters really stick out as a contrast in terms of brightness. Bottles are well-drawn and have some really meticulous detail on the labeling. Animation looked very fluid at first, especially in the CG liquids, but it felt like the quality dropped around some of the middle episodes. It doesn't play that huge a role, though, as apparent by the narrative style of the series.

The music, however, is quite captivating. The soundtrack consists mostly of piano pieces, much of it having a jazzy or lounge-like nature to them. The composer (in which this is the first time I've ever heard of her) does an excellent job capturing the right demeanor overall. There also appears to be little to no signs of synth work either, something I really appreciate in scores (unless it fits well like Bleach or GTO).

As for the stories, they have a very adult outlook on things. It's a tad more difficult for me to empathize since the culture is so different and I'm still in college, but the messages within each story still make for good drama and some "food for thought." I don't interpret them as "deep" by any means, but I always find interest in titles that have those "slice of life" or "make you think" angles. It just seems like an underutilized genre compared to most of the other stuff I've seen to this day (mostly shounen, sci-fi, and other fantasy-type shows).
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Considering there's been anime about Bread, Go, and other things... one about Bartending isn't so surprising. However, if this series shows some drinks - it'll be nice to see; for, I don't know my drinks aside from a screwdriver, a margarita, or some random green stuff. Very tasty. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
There's a drink in every episode with a history and anecdote relating to each customer. The story behind each drink is used as a means of settling whatever their conflict is. At the end of each episode, they tell you how to make the themed drink as well as a pseudo-demonstration during the ending credits.

The ending itself is actually live action with a bartender making the drink and the singer of the song in the background doing her thing. It's pretty cool, in my opinion.
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine pretty much sumed up my feelings on the show.
Quote:
"Do you know the meaning of 'baatendaa'?"
"Meaning?"
" 'Bar' means 'to stop', and 'tender' means kind.
Put them together, and you have a kind place where you can stop and rest.
This wood is the 'bar'. By itself, it's just a place to put your drink.
But because there is a baatendaa there... there is 'tender' at the 'bar'. You have kindness."
"So that's... a baatendaa."

BAR ANGST: CURED.

I laughed until I cried.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
A friend of mine pretty much sumed up my feelings on the show.

...I laughed until I cried.

So... I take that as "I didn't like it?" Seriously, can you give an actual explanation? Was it too corny? Has your experience with real-life bartenders affected your outlook of how they're portrayed in this anime? What's the purpose of a bar or bartender in your own mind? Do you think it's too phony how a single person can just be cured of distress by just a story and a drink?
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh the animation and the atmosphere is great.

But come on. I find the premise a little too contrived. I have a hard time swallowing (drinking?) that the average deep-seated emotional problem can be solved with an anecdote and a drink that thinly relates to it. It comes across as corny.

As far as what I consider being baatendaa entails, it's to serve the customer alcohol. It's all well and good if you have friendly chatter, and good people skills are generally favored for most bartending positions. However, my impression of the average bartending session doesn't tend to contain soul-changing heart-to-hearts on a weekly basis. Unless that bartender happens to be Tohru Honda.

I don’t' mean to offend if you like the show, but if you can look me in the eye and tell me you can take that exchange with dead seriousness instead of unintentionally hilarious then you have a level of cheese tolerance that I can't compete with. Anime smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
No offense taken at all. I'm a big fan of the shounen genre and have come across my fair share of corny, cheesy, campy, and cliché and have enjoyed a great many of those elements moreso than other fans Razz. All I wanted was a detailed reply, so thanks Wink.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Just wondering if anyone is still keeping up.

I have seen the first two episodes of this series, and I enjoyed it very much. The only reason why I haven't seen more is because most subbers are releasing .mkv version and my Portable Media Player only will play Xvid or AVI, so generally I run a few episodes behind on MKV shows.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Never heard of it. Seeing as how I used to be a bartender for a bit this sounds interesting. Have to keep an eye out.

I usually don't read threads about non-R1 titles in fear that I'll end up shelling out too much money in order to get the series. The topic and the fact that Imagawa worked on the series made me peek. Like you and Abunai I've spent a good amount of time Bartending (hence why I'm up this late) for a living. I'm tempted on buying this series since the first 2 DVDs are already out.although I hate 2 episode per DVD release series and would much rather see 4 episodes at 6,000Y.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It's true that perhaps this anime is a bit "cheese" to be realistic, but realism isn't what they are going for. Their goal is to convey the emotions they are doing using a particular means of storytelling and trying to incite those reactions in the viewer. Another thing I love about this series is that they apotheosize (word?) drinking to a more mature level which to many conneiseurs and mature audiences, it is. To really appreciate the 'art' and the "gurasu no monogatari" is pretty neat IMO, even if it is a bit out there.

In the end it's not really a show about a 'Bartender' or alcohol, or even the actual stories of the people who go there. It's just what you get out of it kind of thing, and everyone gets something different out of it, kind of along the lines of both the Honey and Clover series (though not elevating this show to that level, certainly).

And although cheesy, it would be pretty neat if such formal, 'high class' bars existed to the everyday commoner in such a setting. Of course I am a naive young man who back in his high school days was surprised to learn that the prom was not going to consist of Ballroom Dancing =P It really is pretty neat though, the setting itself is enough to draw you in. Only two episodes left to watch...
porporcoro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
anyone know who the bartender is at the very end of every episode making drinks? Shocked, I'm most interested in his skills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3