• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! Art Teases Something is 'Coming Soon'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
This is the news I've been waiting for all this time!
Can't wait Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
A fourth season would be great, but I'd settle for an anime ova or movie, too.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
I would definitely like more FMP!
I own all of the anime, on DVD and Blu-ray, all of the manga and the five novels that were translated.
They could always do some original anime, such as Fumoffu, but I am curious about how much of the original story is left.
The first season and The Second Raid covered everything in the five novels that Tokyopop published. How many more novels are there? is there enough for another anime series?

Personally, I would be happy with some original comedy anime or a continuation of the story, or both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
They will probably reboot the anime, even with animated movies Evangelion-style, before they make season 4 of this. Hoping for season 4, but highly doubt it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I would definitely like more FMP!
I own all of the anime, on DVD and Blu-ray, all of the manga and the five novels that were translated.
They could always do some original anime, such as Fumoffu, but I am curious about how much of the original story is left.
The first season and The Second Raid covered everything in the five novels that Tokyopop published. How many more novels are there? is there enough for another anime series?

Personally, I would be happy with some original comedy anime or a continuation of the story, or both.

There are 12 novels in the first series (so 7 left), 12 volumes of short stories, and a spin-off/sequel series of novels.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
There are 12 novels in the first series (so 7 left), 12 volumes of short stories, and a spin-off/sequel series of novels.

Thank you for that information.

So, they could probably get at least 36 episodes, and a movie or two, out of just the remaining novels.
I hope that there is still enough interest in Japan for them to do at least one more TV season.

And I really, really wish that something would happen to generate enough interest here to get more of the novels and short stories licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InuKag1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Oh my gosh no way! I love Full Metal Panic! PLEASE let it be true!
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
you can't see this Shikidouji but I'm transmitting rage*

*spoiler[giant middle finger]
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
It's a table top RPG. No, I'm not kidding.

I know it mentions the TRPG in that magazine article, but this COMING SOON and tweet came after the TRPG rulebook release. So that isn't actually what's being referred to here. It really is something we don't have news on just yet.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I would think it will be Manga to test the waters if people are going to be interested in the genre again. Its been long time since we had anything, FMP's second wave wasn't exactly what people were looking for.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Table Top games aren't exactly that popular in Japan than it is in the US.

A friend ran a home-brew Full Metal Panic RPG with miniature table top stuff. Mainly using old Battletech cardboard stand in for mechs, it was pretty good.

I rather see them put canon manga, but the original story was bit brutal like the second season was. I'd rather see them have the people who did the 1st season do a new season like that.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:

I rather see them put canon manga, but the original story was bit brutal like the second season was. I'd rather see them have the people who did the 1st season do a new season like that.

The first season was less brutal than TSR because that is how it was in the first three light novels. Vol. 4 and 5/ The Ending Day by Day" is where the Full Metal Panic series shifts to a darker tone and it pretty much remains that way until the end.

Regardless, of who animates it there is no way we're getting another season like the first one unless they completely chuck the source material out the window.

At this point if someone wants to animate FMP their only choices are either to continue after TSR (mostly action and drama with a little bit of comedy) or do another Fumoffu series set before TSR (all comedy).
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Table Top games aren't exactly that popular in Japan than it is in the US.

A friend ran a home-brew Full Metal Panic RPG with miniature table top stuff. Mainly using old Battletech cardboard stand in for mechs, it was pretty good.

The Tabletop RPG for FMP already exists, lol. It uses the FEAR system, but there's a core FMP book for it. BUT! It came out BEFORE this magazine clip and the tweet from Shikidouji, so that's NOT what they're referring to.

It SHOULDN'T be another manga. Sigma ended only a year ago. FMP! Zero is an ongoing manga reboot illustrated by Kasahara Tetsuro (personally, I think it's ugly, but I'm buying it to support FMP). Not to mention there's also the ongoing sequel novels/manga.

There's a LOT of FMP stuff that's still ongoing. It hasn't been stagnating since TSR, lol. There was also the really expensive bluray box set that did very well recently. I recall it made it into the top 10 for a month or two, did it not? At $500 for a series that hasn't had a fresh anime in, what, 8 years? that sure ain't bad.

So a new anime doesn't seem totally out of the cards. New manga? Check. TRPG? Check. TCG? Check. Super expensive reboxing of old material doing well? Check.

So why not? FMP's still got it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2