• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GUNDAM Reconguista in G

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Its strange to see RECONQUISTA spelled wrong to suit the japanese

"He also explained that the word "reconguista" is a coined word based on the Spanish word reconquista; however, the Japanese audience prefers a hard "g" in the title which necessitated the change."
crimso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
This has quite the old-school look and feel. Shocked
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I've finally gotten to see it.

spoiler[This is certainly gave me flash backs to 1970s style animes, it reminds me more of older Macross TV, the original Gundam series, and Crusher Joe. The people in the show so far seem be....innocent, arguably naive of what war is. This certainly a fresh start. When a real war is. So far from first 2 episodes, they people are....goofy. All-in-all its not bad show so far. I think there going be alot of dramatized characters by the end this show's run.]

Its certainly going be interesting ride. Someone told me they were streamlining it on Google on the Sunrise's or Gundam channel, but I've not see it anywhere yet.[/spoiler]
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Can't wait for this to start. Been really anticipating this.

The descriptions and character descriptions sound pretty good and I'm really looking forward to what Tomino has in mind, and I'm glad to finally see Yoshida back too, plus the combination of Tomino and Yoshida working together again but this time on Gundam.

Interesting new detail on those 3 being the only possible pilots and how the G-Self customizes.

it's probably the same way on how the strike uses multiple parts for variable situations.

and as for those three, i have a feeling their newtypes and the G-Self is the a gundam that can only be used by newtypes. they would have to mention the newtypes for it to have any type of connection with the universal century considering this supposed to be a sequel to mobile suit victory gundam.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope this is under the control of a bitter, irate, and wrathful Tomino. Too bad the mobile suit just looks like another Exia with maybe a little bit of RX-78-2 scheme.

you picked that up too huh? though you are wrong about it being similar to the RX-78-2. Exia on the other hand your dead on and to say the least have very slight similarites to the 0 gundam. is it a coincidence? or does this similarity mean that the rumorville in the forums where there is a chance that 00 gundam took place before the universal century era have some merrit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first two episodes, so far it's a different feel from other Tomino directed/written series. The old school 1970s artwork is a nice touch, but the CG coloring makes it seem inconsistent. So far no real references to UC era ideas, with only fleeting references tospoiler[Minovsky Particles] and that nice little fan service in episode 2 of spoiler[some featured suits of Zeta, Gundam, and Victory series']. From the direction this series is taking it could be another 50 episode saga like the original, Zeta, Victory Gundam series.

Also what's up with that neo-Renaissance look about the whole thing. Where are the Colonies and references to Anaheim Electronics?[/spoiler]
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
leep wrote:

Also what's up with that neo-Renaissance look about the whole thing. Where are the Colonies and references to Anaheim Electronics?

Ok just so you know, this series takes place 1000 years, after the events in the UC timeline. Anaheim Electronics is long gone and for the Colonies who knows ? Maybe they don't exist anymore. 1000 freaking years is a long long time.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
spoiler[This is certainly gave me flash backs to 1970s style animes, it reminds me more of older Macross TV, the original Gundam series, and Crusher Joe. The people in the show so far seem be....innocent, arguably naive of what war is. This certainly a fresh start. When a real war is. So far from first 2 episodes, they people are....goofy. All-in-all its not bad show so far. I think there going be alot of dramatized characters by the end this show's run.]

spoiler[Yup, obviously don't know yet if it's going to happen but given where they are starting in terms of "innocence" I would not be surprised if they are put through it all, E7 style or something like that. As I'd hoped, I really like Yoshida's highly expressive designs.]
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
leep wrote:
Also what's up with that neo-Renaissance look about the whole thing. Where are the Colonies and references to Anaheim Electronics?

Well, that's the great mystery, isn't it? The show isn't much one to infodump, that's for sure, but I'm sure the answers will show up in the narrative eventually. The first episode was replete with offhand references to the UC while making it clear that this is its own distinct setting.

Or, if you're impatient...

spoiler[The colonies specifically are almost non-existent - Tomino mentioned in an interview that they're nothing but space debris. There is a moon colony called Towasanga that Capital Territory trades with for their Photon Batteries, as well as an orbital colony around Venus called the "Venus Globe", but the colonies as UC fans know them have long since disappeared. As for Anaheim, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they've disappeared in the last 1000+ years. This world is a very different place, even if it's physically the same one.]
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the eps. or read the spoilers, but given how the series, through the trailers, looks and feels all-around, taking its setting into consideration, and seeing "Ameria" pop up in the official descriptions, G-Reco seems to scream "Turn A Gundam prequel". That would be all sorts of neat if true, but I really hope Bandai Visual won't be prudish like with their past major Gundam show (AGE) and show the series outside of SE Asia & Oceania on at least on their Gundam.info YouTube page--unless this is all a play at packaging streaming rights to sweeten a potential(ly expensive) license deal with a distributor. Although, their streaming avenues and Unicorn release would say otherwise…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It would be funny if they assumed that this show was a winner and tried to market it like Unicorn using Japanese prices, I don't think it would do quite as well.
jomy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Second time I'm reading the summary and it still looks boring. Cute art though.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 has come and gone.

spoiler[These people are new to loyalties to their faction thing too it appears. The main characters just simply allow themselves to be kidnapped, shrug their shoulders switch sides when they think they've been cross without a sweat. I don't think this is very well written when it comes to characterization. Tomino must be pushing for certain angle, since he was very hell bent to go different direction with Gundam. I do hope the talk of this series being prequel to Turn-A-Gundam is incorrect. The Turn-A-Gundam wasn't one of the better series, specially with destroy everything ability those Gundam's had.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2