• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Run Hellsing Ultimate Finale, Summer Wars, Akira, & FMA, DBZ, Evangelion Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
How long are they going to run Cowboy Bebop?

Until it stops bringing numbers.
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for the blue exorcist movie Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad they'll be airing the final two episodes of Hellsing Ultimate after all. And people should definitely watch Summer Wars.

Not particularly thrilled about that Broly movie, but he has his fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Cowboy Bebop is good and all, but I don't understand how it makes the top anime list ever. I can list over a dozen better shows at the top of my head.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Despite being mostly reruns, this is a pretty solid lineup. I've seen everything except Hellsing, but I may give Broly and the Eva films a rewatch.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's not anything special, they ran those same movies last year. You'd think they at least dig into their bag of properties and pull out something different, they have a bunch of movie licenses.

No, they don't. Ever since Toonami's return all of their acquisitions have been one-and-done deals. According to them, it was cheaper that way. That's the reason they've barely done any reruns of their newly acquired shows, barring a few exceptions.

They show movies so infrequently, I doubt the situation with them was ever any different, even before Toonami. Up until recently, the only films I can recall them ever re-running were the InuYasha films, which they showed multiple times over the course of a few years, and the first Bleach film, which re-aired at least once before they showed the 2nd film.

So the fact that they rarely show movies, on top of the fact that, when they do, it's almost never a movie that's aired before, tells me that they do not retain the rights to films they air, with the possible exception of InuYasha, which they could have had a contract that let them air them several times, but even that's just speculation. For all we know, they may have just been paying for them again each time they wanted to air them.

I would assume that's the case for this movie month as well. Because most are reruns, and they likely still had the broadcast tapes from last time, they were probably able to re-air them for a lot cheaper than a brand new film would've cost.

The reason for the movie reruns in the first place was because they blew most of their budget on several big acquisitions this year (AOT, DBZ Kai, Gurren, Hellsing Ult, etc.), so they had to go cheap for movie month.

itachi06103570 wrote:
So basically they were meant to get all 10 but just at a different date, I understand now thanks

Not exactly. The miscommunication was that they wanted all 10, and they thought they had picked up all 10, when they really had just acquired the first 8. Once they realized this, they probably called up FUNimation immediately to strike a new deal for the last two, but likely either didn't have the contract worked out or weren't able procure broadcast tapes in time to air HU 9&10 in November like originally planned.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about FUNi's bag, not Swimnami's, since those are all FUNi licenses.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Good that Hellsing is going to get to have a full run, I have to wonder what the deal was? It was probably something that wasn't included in the contract when it should have been. Considering Roberta's Blood Trail was never shown, and it wasn't until last year's movie month that they finally got around to Conqueror of Shamballa, this was rather annoying. I already have each of those shows on disc, so it wasn't a huge deal personally, but for folks watching for the first time on Toonami, it is a shame they might miss out.

Movie month doesn't do much for me since it seems to have several things they already aired last year, and the rest is stuff I already own. As cool as it is that Toonami is willing to get new material, I've had to get used to most of it being things I've had sitting on my shelves for years.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Guess someone came up with the Hellsing money.......... Laughing

Guess now everybody's gonna be tuning in to watch the Hellsing episodes; after all, that was what the hoopla was about............
me_barron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
navycherub wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Cowboy Bebop is good and all, but I don't understand how it makes the top anime list ever. I can list over a dozen better shows at the top of my head.

Why don't you move along, there, mister. We don't take kindly to your kind around these here parts Razz
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Wow, Toonami is really pumping out the classics (not counting Attack on Titan).

It's not anything special, they ran those same movies last year. You'd think they at least dig into their bag of properties and pull out something different, they have a bunch of movie licenses.

No, they didn't. Summer Wars and Akira have run before, but Fullmetal, Eva 2.22, and DBZ 8 are all new to the block.

And you can't really blame them for rerunning Akira and Summer Wars, two of the best anime films of their times.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Eva 2.22 aired last year.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Because of some old licensing deals, Bebop is free for them to air (as are all the shows in the last few hours of Toonami, according to a recent AMA with the block's director.) So it would have to be doing REALLY poorly for Toonami to lose money on it.

Similarly, Samurai Jack, Space Dandy and Big O will probably keep coming back to the block forever, because CN helped produce those shows and thus it costs them nothing to air them.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice, can definitely live with that movie/ova schedule Toonami.

Especially Hellsing and FMA, and repeats of Akira and the Eva movies. Summer Wars is quite good but I'm not sure I'll re-watch it yet again and a DBZ movie isn't too bad.

The main one they are not doing I would have liked to see that I thought might have a chance other than these was the Blue Exorcist movie since they just did the series (same as someone else mentioned earlier too).

Pretty good list. Hellsing's a cool surprise, did not expect them to get the last two so fast since it sounded like it would take some time so that's great (even if I'll own them anyway).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Antehr month of movies and all some of them I have
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
itachi06103570 wrote:
My question is that will they be airing the Japanese audio version like what was used for cooler's revenge? And how'd they get 9 and 10 of hellsing I though they said they couldn't due to broadcast problems which funimation had problems with as well?

I hope not. I actually like the metal playing in the DBZ: Broly: The legendary super saiyan. The original sounds kinda boring, and I find the music to be pretty bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3