• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Blu-Ray 1-2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Just a heads up. Apparently it is a flimsy paper box as opposed to Funimation's typical thick-ish LE boxes.

So definitely not Chipboard. I guess I'll need to find some pictures then. It sounds like it is more like a slipcase than a box. Neutral
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I like both seasons of SAC equally.

The only real flaw with Arise is that it's essentially "more of the same" without really doing anything different with the premises or characters. And since it's not quite in the SAC universe, you'd expect a little more than just "It's the Major, but she's younger." They should have just made it a prequel and showed the Major and Batou fighting in the war.

But that said, it is still pretty good. I'm looking forward to hearing the quality of the English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait, wait. The paragraph of "changes" is a whole mess of messes, not just for the franchise but for logic.

Kusanagi has now been in a "cyborg" body now since birth but is aging accordingly {changing body and appearances because... this is depressing. She's aping humanity she never had to begin with, which of course makes her more human that her other versions because... the people doing it are not familiar with, well, Ghost in the Shell?} and doesn't have the same strength as those arms that tore apart a tank? You know, those robotic arms that went with a robot body, head, legs and everything else but some brain cells?

This plot aspect is such a problem thematically, cutting the division between a philosophical development of the human soul and psyche, creating itself out of accomplishment and failures, not to forget hormones like estrogen and testosterone, and the question of how it would differ from AI like it was some Gordian Knot that was in the way... of itself, that I can't even see this as Ghost in the Shell... GiTS Babies maybe?

I'm a firm believer in the idea of Major Kusanagi being male in the previous life, AKA "living" but willing to listen to the fanboys who can't see past the boobs and butt. But I also hate Stand Alone Complex like it was death itself, a boogey man for all life loving AIs developing in Spider Bots...

Quote:
The only substantial effect of this, however, is that it gives her and Batou an opportunity to initially be at odds and even fight each other on a couple of occasions.

Because changing the premise for that is all they could get out of it? Really? Did they even try or was it not in the budget?
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Wait, wait, wait. The paragraph of "changes" is a whole mess of messes, not just for the franchise but for logic.

Kusanagi has now been in a "cyborg" body now since birth but is aging accordingly {changing body and appearances because... this is depressing. She's aping humanity she never had to begin with, which of course makes her more human that her other versions because... the people doing it are not familiar with, well, Ghost in the Shell?} and doesn't have the same strength as those arms that tore apart a tank? You know, those robotic arms that went with a robot body, head, legs and everything else but some brain cells?

This plot aspect is such a problem thematically, cutting the division between a philosophical development of the human soul and psyche, creating itself out of accomplishment and failures, not to forget hormones like estrogen and testosterone, and the question of how it would differ from AI like it was some Gordian Knot that was in the way... of itself, that I can't even see this as Ghost in the Shell... GiTS Babies maybe?

I'm a firm believer in the idea of Major Kusanagi being male in the previous life, AKA "living" but willing to listen to the fanboys who can't see past the boobs and butt. But I also hate Stand Alone Complex like it was death itself, a boogey man for all life loving AIs developing in Spider Bots...

Quote:
The only substantial effect of this, however, is that it gives her and Batou an opportunity to initially be at odds and even fight each other on a couple of occasions.

Because changing the premise for that is all they could get out of it? Really? Did they even try or was it not in the budget?

Yeah, well, guess you haven't watched ep-3, yet?

Coz it kinda does directly answered your beliefs...

Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Concerning the "artbox": Apparently I didn't look at it too closely. It is, indeed, more of an elaborate paper sleeve made to look like a box than an actual box.

Oh, and for the record, I rated 2nd Gig as my #2 title of the 2000s. Definitely not one of my favorites, and I have to agree with criticisms that label it as cold and impersonal, but it's such a wonderful technical and storytelling achievement.

And as I mentioned in the review, I don't find the lack of philosophizing in Arise to be a big problem (though I will agree that it changes the identity of the work somewhat). For me, the franchise's deepest ongoing flaw was its propensity to get so self-absorbed in its philosophical underpinnings that it sometimes forgot to be entertaining, too. (See Innocence.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Its not an 'art box' is a slip box. Its the same stuff slip covers are made of. The box has two full Blu-ray cases, one for each movie. Which I'm fine with, because elaborate art boxes and chip boxes add cost where I don't want it.

Overall I liked Arise more then I expected, but my expectations were quite tempered due to overall apathy about the series in online circles.

I get a sense from the series that its trying a little too hard to capture the SAC magic, without being SAC. Or having SAC's heart for that matter. Technically the two films I watched looked amazing overall, with great animation and the action scenes were overall well choreographed. CG Vehicles don't stand out as badly as they used to.

I will say... for a group that will one day be one of the greatest counter cyber-terrorism units... they sure do get their memories hacked quite easily.

Speaking of which the amount of happenstance that brings this specific group together is kind of noticeable.
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I like both seasons of SAC equally.

The only real flaw with Arise is that it's essentially "more of the same" without really doing anything different with the premises or characters. And since it's not quite in the SAC universe, you'd expect a little more than just "It's the Major, but she's younger." They should have just made it a prequel and showed the Major and Batou fighting in the war.

But that said, it is still pretty good. I'm looking forward to hearing the quality of the English dub.

Unfortunately, "more of the same" is not uncommon in anime. It's GITS though, and if people really enjoy the franchise and how well it delves into the world of cybertechnology, then it's going to be worth it to them.

Key wrote:
Oh, and for the record, I rated 2nd Gig as my #2 title of the 2000s. Definitely not one of my favorites, and I have to agree with criticisms that label it as cold and impersonal, but it's such a wonderful technical and storytelling achievement.

Personally, I don't mind "cold and impersonal" in a cyberized world or character. I have always liked Kusanagi's temperament. It seemed necessary and believable. Her personality was harmonious to the story and just fit. In fact, I'm a little worried I may find the new (younger) Kusanagi a bit.... annoying.

I have watched everything else, so there is no way I'm going to skip "Arise".
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
It would have been nice to get the SAC voices back, but since this isn't actually part of that story, it isn't a deal breaker. I will say it is odd to have McGlynn in it, but not as the Major, though. It just seems like a bit of an odd choice unless there is supposed to be some implication that the Major picked a new voice based on this other character.
Felis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Like others here have said, Arise is definitely "more of the same." I had high expectations but was a bit disappointed. It was good and I did enjoy it, but I won't be rewatching this as much as SAC or the movies.

After getting this though I just wish the rest of the franchise would get a decent release here in the US. Manga botched the blu-ray release of the first movie, Innocence is out of print, and both seasons of SAC have yet to receive a blu-ray release. It makes me wish Funimation could somehow get the rights to the rest of the franchise but I know that probably won't happen. Manga Entertainment really needs to get their act together.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Am I the only one who loved the hell out of 2nd Gig? :/

Count me as another person that loved 2nd Gig!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This new voice casting will be what ultimately makes or breaks Arise for most longtime GitS viewers.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, for a long time GitS was the one series I didn't mind dubbed. But with the 25th anniversary bluray and Arise I'm now staunchly sub only. Not for anything against the new voice actors, if I ever rewatch SAC I'll be watching that subbed too. Arise helped me break the cycle.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Great review Theron, I think I pretty much agree with all your points. I heard mixed things about Arise, so I had low expectations coming in, but based on these two episodes, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, they do rehash story elements and scenes from the movies and SAC, but it's done very well. I like to think of Arise as GITS's "greatest hits". It's in no way as groundbreaking or good as SAC but Arise is still a solid effort.

The animation is great for the most part. There are some shortcuts here and there, and a couple scenes where Motoko's face looks a little weird but all the action scenes were great. I think the soundtrack is the only weak point. Cornelius' score is a little too subdued for my taste, although I enjoyed the more experimental and indie rock touches.

I don't know what to think of the dub yet. As a long-time GITS fan and someone who considers SAC's dub one of the best anime dubs of all time, Arise's dub is jarring at first. I think the dub is fine for most the part. Elizabeth Maxwell as Motoko sounds fine, and I guess that's the important part. But I'll wait until the other 2 episodes get dubbed before I make any final judgements.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I forgot, I also think Arise is good for GITS newcomers. I usually recommend the first movie or SAC, but the movie can be too slow for some, while SAC is a big time investment. So in that respect, Arise is a good intro to the series.

penguintruth wrote:
I like both seasons of SAC equally

@relyat08, Barbot, Leland Lee, and treatment, I'm of the same opinion as penguintruth here, both seasons are equally good. I personally thought the Laughing Man storyline from the 1st season was much more interesting than the Individual Eleven storyline from 2nd gig. On the other hand, the stand alone episodes from 2nd gig were much better than the stand alone episodes from the 1st season.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Kusanagi has now been in a "cyborg" body now since birth but is aging accordingly {changing body and appearances because... this is depressing. She's aping humanity she never had to begin with,

This is actually the point. In the insert notes, Ubukata specifically says that he wanted to show this.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm a firm believer in the idea of Major Kusanagi being male in the previous life, AKA "living" but willing to listen to the fanboys who can't see past the boobs and butt. But I also hate Stand Alone Complex like it was death itself,

Motoko was a guy in a previous life!? what the!? So you hate SAC. Why did I waste my time responding? Crying or Very sad

Key wrote:
And as I mentioned in the review, I don't find the lack of philosophizing in Arise to be a big problem (though I will agree that it changes the identity of the work somewhat). For me, the franchise's deepest ongoing flaw was its propensity to get so self-absorbed in its philosophical underpinnings that it sometimes forgot to be entertaining, too. (See Innocence.)

As much I love the first movie (didn't like Innocence), this is ultimately why I prefer the manga and SAC overall. I think Arise made a wise choice in toning down the navel gazing.

Sentire wrote:
Personally, I don't mind "cold and impersonal" in a cyberized world or character. I have always liked Kusanagi's temperament. It seemed necessary and believable. Her personality was harmonious to the story and just fit. In fact, I'm a little worried I may find the new (younger) Kusanagi a bit.... annoying.

I have watched everything else, so there is no way I'm going to skip "Arise".

Completely agree. I think the cold and detached personalities are part of the appeal of GITS. It's fits the setting, and the characters are stone-cold professionals who rarely panic or have any hesitations. It's a different approach to storytelling that some people will like and some people won't. Anyway, I recommend checking out Arise, Sentire. I didn't find younger Kusanagi to be annoying. If anything, I think they "softened" her personality a bit, so she's not as detached. She's a little more expressive than before. You see her get angry and even a little worried in a couple scenes.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I had high hopes for Arise but it wasn't until I watched it that it fell into place that it wasn't a prequel to the Movie or SAC but a whole new reboot to the franchise. Something they don't really spell out unless you pay good attention and have seen the previous works of the franchise.

Really tried to give it a chance but in the end I thought it was alright but not worth owning it had a lot of techno bable and all the deep meaning crap the Movie had, that for me bored me at times.

SAC and 2nd GIG etc, was the closest thing to the Manga series with a cohesive enough story that had a mix of all the things necessary to be great series.

And I don't know why but that red outfit of Motoko just rubbed me the wrong way it's color to be exact, that and she only uses her trusty Seburo M-5 pistol in the opening sequence and not the show lame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4