• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Sells All-Time Record of 2.269 Million BD/DVD Sets to Top Spirited Away, Madoka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Movie is okay, but nothing special. From the Disney, Pixar movies, I still think Toy Story and Toy Story 3 are the best ones, far better than Frozen.

Well yeah I agree.

Its just Frozen and Tangled are a lot more similar to each other.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
My kid loves this movie and the Olaf character I think I've seen it like 20 times since the home video release he calls it "fafa"lol every morning he will follow me into the bedroom and point at the shelves "Fafa fafa? Olaf?? Please please please" hahahaha he is going to lose his mind tomorrow morning when he sees all of the Frozen toys and things we got him for Christmas.

EDIT: I own the Japanese versions of everything listed in the article woo although I don't think I'm part of the statistics because they were purchased foreign.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
I don't have a vendetta against Frozen like a lot of manchildren in the anime fandom (Hell, I love the movie) but this is kind of ridiculous.

Oh well. I suppose that even if it isn't nearly as good as Madoka Rebellion or Spirited Away a good movie getting recognition is better is better than a bad movie winning oscars and breaking records.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
I just watched this movie with my mom (it was her first time watching it) and I was surprised she liked it! A nice movie to watch on Christmas Eve haha~
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
That just goes to show that you should never underestimate Japan's desire for cliche garbage.

Indeed. The fact that this movie seems to be more popular in Japan than in the west, where it's already ridiculous overrated, is still baffling to me. That and the fact that Wreck it Ralph wasn't really big in Japan at all despite the marketing attempts.
I wonder if Youkai Watch will break this record once its new movie comes out on Bluray though.

I'm sorry .. but Frozen has been a huge success worldwide not just in Japan and is on track to be one of the highest grossing movies EVER (currently sits at number 5).

Yes it may not be exactly rocket science but it is a fun movie with maddeningly catchy songs.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
From what I can remember hanging out at IMDb, the video game fans who saw Wreck-It Ralph were not satisfied with the video game cameos--something that kept popping up was that they wanted Ralph and Vanellope to travel from game world to game world, a la The Fairly OddParents: Channel Chasers. As for why it wasn't popular in Japan, I'd bet it's because the country has its own rather unique arcade scene which looks very different from Litwak's Arcade, with very different games being played there, and the movie was steeped rather deeply in American video game culture. (Wreck-It Ralph was my favorite movie of 2012. Frankenweenie had a stronger beginning and middle, but its third act was disappointing and should've been transplanted with the writing quality of ParaNorman's third act.)

Neither Frozen nor Big Hero 6, which also seems set to be quite the mainstream success in Japan too, are not very tied to pop culture of any sort and can thus resonate well internationally. I did not expect Big Hero 6 to do amazingly well though, considering its basis on American comic books, which is still this weird exotic thing in Japan.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
That just goes to show that you should never underestimate Japan's desire for cliche garbage.

This is how it works :

Anime sells millions -> Japanese public is enlightened
Disney animation film sells millions -> Japanese public wouldn't understand quality from shit.

Akemi Tachibana I'm amazed at your insight into the Japanese public buying habit. Laughing Way to go.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Yes it may not be exactly rocket science but it is a fun movie with maddeningly catchy songs.

^^ this

I liked Frozen, sure it may not be my favorite from Disney (that spot goes for The Aristocats lol) but hey, it was a good movie nonetheless!

and that Let it Go song was so catchy, I sung it for months Very Happy
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Disney fan. My dislike of Frozen stems from how disappointed I was in it -because- I'm such a huge Disney fan, nor from some ridiculous anime vs Disney feud, and anyone who dislikes it for that kind of reason shouldn't be taken seriously anyway.
It's Oscar win annoyed me because many of the judges actually admitted to not watching any of the nominees because they find animation childish, and just gave their vote to the Disney film. (this would have angered me even if I -did- like the film. I'd want it's Best Animation win to be fair.)
It's just such a dull, poorly written mess with one-dimensional characters that have no real tangible bond. People go on about the whole sisterly love thing, but it's utilized poorly and I feel no reason to believe in it. The world building is practically non-existant and I was continually frustrated by this. A huge amount of time is dedicated to painfully unfunny side characters like Olaf and the trolls. The only thing I can honestly say I like about it is the way the snow looks (as opposed to the ice, which looked rather poor imo). That and it -is- definitely cool that a movie with two female leads could get so popular with boys and girls alike. I just really dislike how it's impossible to give an honest critique of the movie without its fans coming out in droves and labelling nay-sayers as 'haters' jumping on some hate-bandwagon. I -wanted- to love this movie! I wanted to so badly!
In terms of princess movies, I thought Tangled was a much better film despite its own set of problems, especially in regards to its characters, but it never got close to the amount of popularity Frozen did.

I mentioned Japan before because Japan is the one making thousand dollar platinum calendars and limited edition Playstations and even a nendoroid figure, but the reason for its popularity, especially in comparison to other princess movies, is still lost on me. I guess it's just always going to be a mystery for me.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
As for Madoka Magica Rebellion in distant second place: do you suppose those 154,000 units would include the Blu-Rays that Aniplex USA shipped to American buyers?
Stealth00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
As for Madoka Magica Rebellion in distant second place: do you suppose those 154,000 units would include the Blu-Rays that Aniplex USA shipped to American buyers?

No, because Oricon only reports domestic sales, and that's where these sales figures are from.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder what it is about Frozen that appeals especially to Japan. I liked the movie but I think it's over hyped.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder what it is about Frozen that appeals especially to Japan. I liked the movie but I think it's over hyped.

Frozen is Ghibli-like. A film designed to appeal to the mass market.
No otakus. Just families with kids.
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

It's Oscar win annoyed me because many of the judges actually admitted to not watching any of the nominees because they find animation childish, and just gave their vote to the Disney film. (this would have angered me even if I -did- like the film. I'd want it's Best Animation win to be fair.)

The Oscars are of Hollywood, by Hollywood, and for Hollywood. That a Disney film won by default should not come as a surprise. Every last member of AMPAS, which is comprised entirely of the film industry, can vote in almost every category. They protect their own. Just accept it and move on. It's not like American films regularly win the Japan Academy Prizes.

As an aside, do you think all of the voters saw all of the movies they voted for in the other categories, including all of the majors? I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you if you do.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Japanese people do really like disney movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4