• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Contents of Naruto Epilogue Novels Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I would love if they make a gaiden of the ere that Kaguya lived in because we'd get more back story.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
SasuSaku14 wrote:
OK, I've seen this a LOT regarding spoiler[Sakura marrying Sasuke in the end], and how on EARTH is that bad development?

He's tried to kill her multiple times, for a start, yet she always comes crawling back to him, which is a classic trope for abusive relationships.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:

From the very get go, Sasuke found Sakura annoying and tried to kill her not once, not twice but three times(if you count the genjutsu). Not only is it illogical but it teaches people a very bad lesson in regards to relationships, in addition to furthering damaging both characters.

Love The Way You Lie AMV
Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgowl-Cnfs

• On the first page of our story
    The future seemed so bright
    Then this thing turned out so evil
    I don’t know why I’m still surprised
    Even angels have their wicked schemes
    And you take that to new extremes
    But you’ll always be my hero
    Even though you’ve lost your mind

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
    But that's alright because I like the way it hurts
    Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
    But that's alright because I love the way you lie
    I love the way you lie

• I can't tell you what it really is
    I can only tell you what it feels like
    And right now there's a steel knife in my windpipe
    I can't breathe but I still fight while I can fight
    As long as the wrong feels right it's like I'm in flight
    High off her love, drunk from her hate,
    It's like I'm huffing paint and I love her the more I suffer, I suffocate
    And right before I'm about to drown, she resuscitates me
    She <beeping> hates me and I love it.

• Now there’s gravel in our voices
    Glass is shattered from the fight
    In this tug of war you’ll always win
    Even when I’m right
    ‘Cause you feed me fables from your hand
    With violent words and empty threats
    And it’s sick that all these battles
    Are what keeps me satisfied

So maybe I’m a masochist
    I try to run but I don’t wanna ever leave
    'Til the walls are goin’ up
    In smoke with all our memories
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Sakura/Sasuke bothers me a lot, but definitely not because Naruto had a crush on Sakura--I actually liked how that worked out. Naruto realized on his own that being "friendzoned" by someone who really likes and respects you but doesn't love you romantically isn't a bad thing, and he fully accepts Sakura as a friend.
Sakura/Sasuke bothers me because Sakura, the one in the "relationship" who had an obsession about the other one, never seemed to care about Sasuke as a person. She liked him at first for the same reason all the other girls did--he was handsome and incredibly talented. As a teammate, you could argue that she started to value him as a member of team 7 and appreciate him on a deeper level, but she never seemed to break through her initial shallow, childish crush, which was all about getting a hot guy to notice her and not at all about really loving him. She never seemed to identify with his struggles or emphasize with him in any meaningful way. As a privileged kid with two living parents, she understandably couldn't comprehend the trauma he had gone through when his clan was massacred and his loneliness and the betrayal and anger he felt towards his brother, and she never seemed to try.

Contrast Sakura's infatuation with Sasuke with Hinata's crush on Naruto--Hinata really seemed to like Naruto because of his can-do spirit and optimistic personality. She liked him as a person, and was inspired to train and do better as a ninja because she was so inspired by him. Or even contrast Sakura's relationship with Sasuke to her relationship with Sai--when Sakura realized Sai had reasons behind that fake smile, she reached out to him, talked to him, really tried to help him open up and change his perspective by showing that she understood where he was coming from (it's why I shipped Sakura/Sai). Granted, she never really got the opportunity to speak to Sasuke reasonably after he left the village, but that just kind of makes their partnering at the end even stranger. You would think Sakura would "grow out" of her crush, or at least reflect on how she should have reached out to him when she had a chance.
TL:DR--basically, all I saw in the Sakura/Sasuke "relationship" was a shallow, childish crush on her part, and grudging acceptance of a teammate on his, which was all overshadowed by years of separation.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Sakura/Sasuke bothers me because Sakura, the one in the "relationship" who had an obsession about the other one, never seemed to care about Sasuke as a person. She liked him at first for the same reason all the other girls did--he was handsome and incredibly talented. As a teammate, you could argue that she started to value him as a member of team 7 and appreciate him on a deeper level, but she never seemed to break through her initial shallow, childish crush, which was all about getting a hot guy to notice her and not at all about really loving him. She never seemed to identify with his struggles or emphasize with him in any meaningful way. As a privileged kid with two living parents, she understandably couldn't comprehend the trauma he had gone through when his clan was massacred and his loneliness and the betrayal and anger he felt towards his brother, and she never seemed to try.

This actually changes pretty early on. I'm eighty episodes into a marathon of the first TV series and something I noticed early on is that after Sasuke calls her annoying in Episode #3 and then chose to broke the rules to help Naruto in Episode #5 Sakura changed the way she acted. Sasuke's near-death in Episode #19 as well as her own gradual realization that she was the team's weakest link really changed her as a person. As Sasuke's struggles and desire to protect his fellows came to the surface Sakura's appreciation of him changed. In Episode #3 she definitely saw him as a cardboard cutout. She didn't understand him at all, just like she did with Naruto or Kakashi. From there on she definitely began gained a genuine appreciation of him as a person, not a cardboard cutout of a boy band idol. As Sasuke gains depth, so does Sakura. This is especially apparent in their interactions, where the only character Sasuke does not regard with disdain or aggressive rivalry is Sakura. He speaks to her casually and trusts her with his secrets. Later on, when he is leaving the village and she is pleading him to take her with him it is only after Sakura pledges to ruin her life by following him that he knocks her out. Throughout Part II Sasuke tells Sakura to buzz off, but he never actually successfully physically hurts her. Sasuke is massively powerful, yet he can't do what he says he is going to do and kill Sakura? More like 'won't'. Sasuke always takes the first chance he can to not hurt Sakura. I'd say this all adds up a lot more to "Sasuke loves Sakura, but is emotionally crippled and can't outright say it" than anything else. Hell, in the lead up to the Chuunin Exam Sasuke is the only one to notice Sakura is feeling down, so he bolsters her confidence by encouraging her to show off her acute understanding of illusionary techniques. That's a lot more than anyone else ever did for her at the time.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
SasuSaku14 wrote:
OK, I've seen this a LOT regarding spoiler[Sakura marrying Sasuke in the end], and how on EARTH is that bad development?

He's tried to kill her multiple times, for a start, yet she always comes crawling back to him, which is a classic trope for abusive relationships.

Wait so Sakura kept crawling back to a guy she wasn't even in an intimate relationship with?

Damn she's a psycho.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
If the man you love, tries to kill you repeatedly, and you still love him, there is something wrong with you. Marrying that same man is the stuff of madness.

Doesn't matter if it is some fictional ninja world or the real one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
I'm more interested in Kakashi, the Akatsuki, and Konoha. More importantly, I'm curious to what happened to Orochimaru and Sasuke's team (the Taka). They just disappeared either after almost everyone was under the moon's illusion.

actually their retook their names as the hebi after the talk with the previous hokages.

though i am definitely curious. for some reason he dropped right of the face of the earth after the war ended. and the same goes for the hebi.especially karin. i was certain she would have caused problems for sakura's love interest. hell i wouldnt be surprised at all if he secretly had kids with karin without sakura knowing about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2