• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most unintentionally hillarious moments in anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
DBZ is full of famous and funny cheesy lines like the famous over 9000 or Vegeta's comeback line.

The face Sasuke makes after being hit in the gut in Naruto was hilarious in my opinion.

Some fight scenes in Naruto and Shippuuden are animated in this weird off-model style that sometimes makes it seem like their faces are melting. It looks funny.

Night fox

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
The only thing that beats über surveillance, is über paranoia...

Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah I had forgotten about the most epic potato chip eating scene. "I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!" Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
^
I reckon the English dub was actually poking fun at the show, because it was just too overacted not to be deliberate.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
As much as I enjoyed Code Geass sometimes, there's some particularly silly stuff like:

Apparently, even the animators thought it was hilarious, and they couldn't bring themselves to redraw it. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I reckon the English dub was actually poking fun at the show, because it was just too overacted not to be deliberate.

The Japanese dub was just as over-the-top. The same scene in Japanese.
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
This is how you kidnap someone with style.

Touma

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
^
@Night fox:
What is it about that scene that you think is unintentionally hilarious?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
^
The mood was so serious, and it all happened out of the blue. When I first saw it, I just wondered what the .... was going on. Laughing

(Whether the scene was intended to be hilarious, or not, I'm not really sure.)
Hikari14

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
This is how you kidnap someone with style.

What anime is that from?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Maria Watches Over Us season 3, OVA #4
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
^
The mood was so serious, and it all happened out of the blue. When I first saw it, I just wondered what the .... was going on. Laughing

(Whether the scene was intended to be hilarious, or not, I'm not really sure.)

I'll try to weigh in here since I've seen this episode over a dozen times at this point. Laughing

A lot of people have trouble deciding whether Maria Watches Over Us is intended to be a comedy or a drama... basically, whether the show's creator understands how ridiculous everything is. Enough fans asked the creator about the story's genre that she directly answered the question in the Afterward of the 30th light novel (Twinkle, Twinkle, Twirl... otherwise known as "Season 5 Episode 2, assuming they ever finish adapting these books"):

Quote:
"Maria-sama ga Miteru" is a fantasy – or so I've been told.

It's also been called a lot of other things, such as "a school comedy," "a soft Yuri novel," "a mystery," etc.

Well, using genres to differentiate between novels certainly makes it easier when organizing or making a recommendation from a massive pile of books but it's never something that should be considered definitive. I'm fine with anyone who reads the book and labels it as 'Such-and-such kind of a novel,' provided it's not too far removed from reality.

So, back to the topic of 'fantasy.'

[...]

Consulting the large dictionary I have at hand, words like 'illusion' and 'visions' and 'dreams' are scattered around. There's no dragons or swords or magicians or people with wings, but if you think that, "This world is just slightly different to our own," then I guess it could be called a fantasy novel. Even though it's rude.

The main take-away from all of this is that this episode takes place in a universe where things are hilariously different from reality. People get kidnapped like that all the time in this universe, and they just roll with it.

For example, none of the girls own cellphones in this show... they're on the phone constantly, but always on a landline. It's because the books explicitly point out that cellphones never really took off in this universe's version of Japan. In fact, the only major recurring character who owns a cellphone is Suguru... and it was a complete waste of money, because he doesn't know anyone else who owns one, and also no one ever calls him on his cellphone, because all of his friends secretly hate him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2