• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seiyu's Life! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

That actually felt like an impressive episode, almost specifically because the drama was more low key and was more about how they have grown as Seiyu. As a plot the three main characters doing voice work types for the first time, and how they adjust. I kind of felt this was the closest I would call the series as Shirobako for Seiyu, specifically because their work here was not actually anime, and how it mixed teaching the process, with a little drama, and just trucking through it.

Maybe silly, but I felt a highlight of the episode was how Futuba was able to do things like lowering who pitch to differentiate a character, and being able to do a good job playing a young boy. Actually makes me appreciate her actual VA.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

A different character in the limelight, and it was Konno in her role as the manager, it was an excellent idea. The strengths of this type of series is really giving us a broad look at parts of the industry, so seeing Konno's point of view of how even the same events feel to her and what her duties are, worked really well. While from Ichinose's POV we got how she felt like she was not living up to expectations, was anxious about passing auditions, and that there was likely hard work going on behind the scenes. With Konno we saw what that hard work was, her desire to promote her client for her needs, how to deliver bad news, and a little in awe of the actors work. And a sense of accomplishment in praise.

Because it will keep being put up, it is like how Shirobako was so great likely because we were usually following Aoi as a production assistant. Maybe also add that a chance to follow a working adult continues to be great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

And a Rin episode. Kind of tough as she finds out that she will be unlikely to continue through High school at the current school with the schedule she has been having with work. It is bad because she really does not want to leave the side of her best friend, and as it is we see that she really has missed out a lot on things a normal student would experience, causing some doubt. Should she just quit and enjoy her youth more?

She expresses her doubts to the rest of earphones who say that of course they have head doubts too, it is completely normal, but if they did not push they would not have been getting this far. To Rin it was not something she badly wanted to do, she almost feels like a fake next to the others. After a bit of problems in acting as a normal 15 year old she learns from Kamiya Hiroshi that even he has a lot of doubts of how he is fit for the job, but also that their job is one piece of a lot of work of many people, and doing a respectful job is something a little special. Also that she is not actually like many average 15 year olds, and maybe it is not too much of a bad thing.

Rin decides that even though it is really had on her, she wants to focus in a way that will allow her to do her best at her job, she makes a decision to go to a different high school with a focus on acting. A decision she could only make herself, and she can still be around her friend when she gets the chance. Maybe sounds a little hollow, but I think that there was some adequate weight in this episode did actually work quite well.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hakuou lets a chronic skipper like Nagi stick around, so I don't see why Rin's situation requires her to change schools. Then again, Nagi is rich and a genius.

Bit of a shame they reused Hiroshi Kamiya again. Did they run out of guest actors?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Ryoko Shiraishi, I must admit that I am particularly fond of her portrayal of Hayate, as Futaba seemed to be.

The episode focussed on another important aspect of seiyu, which was looking after themselves. While Futaba's passion is not bad, and she has fears of being the lower member, not being careful could cause a lot of trouble for her.

And their almost blurt outs of anger at their producer not exactly thinking before acting. A big chance for their group, if they can not have it embarrass totally fail, and Ichigo might be in some trouble.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Woo! I must say I was getting anxious there. It was quite something to see even the producer lost his nerve when he found out Ichigo was injured, but the girls managed to think it through and come up with answers. The anticipation up to the concert was really getting to me, but they really managed it and, yeah they made the concert quite the climax for the series. And although not said out loud, I get the feeling that the man we focused in the audience was Ichigo's father, he cried over how far his daughter has come, kind of beautiful.

Oh, yeah we had Yui Horie again. Regardless of having appeared before she is great. I recently caught up on Miss Monochrome, which also had what you might call cameos in it.

Anyway, this has been enjoyable, I look forward to what I assume will be the last episode, probably on the lighter side or something.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I get the feeling that the man we focused in the audience was Ichigo's father, he cried over how far his daughter has come, kind of beautiful.

Yeah, the guy whose face was always out of frame was Ichigo's dad.

I'm glad it turned out all right, but such a missed opportunity to hear cover versions of other songs.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Futuba still has a long way to go, but she's definitely moved forward.

Rather than a Shirobako rip off, this show is actually a good compliment to it. Shirobako barely touched on the voice acting industry, after all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I thought the show was decent but nothing special. The presence of some of the other VA in the series was refreshing to see but I wasn't a big fan of the comedy at times.

And Futaba became a character that I found inspiring sometimes and other times not liking her role. Anyways, it was a fun show overall with a good degree amount of realism. I wouldn't mind another season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

So we finish with Futaba going through the assessment she mentioned earlier in the series. A bit stressful as she faces all he worries she has built up. It has not been a case that Futaba has quite made it to being a big seiyu, but she has made steps that they are deferring her being removed.

Well it was not a blockbuster series, but I think it reached a rather good level, a few episodes managed to be especially good at portraying the "seiyu life" in a way kind of like a seiyu version of Shirobako. Although this did not reach the level of Shirobako, I consider that a bit of a Masterpiece. Thinking of a rating for Seiyu Life, I will go for Good, I think it was worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2