• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, this schedule had a fast and furious turnaround. The animes I expected are being covered.

Daily Streaming Reviews Classic sound like a neat idea on paper, but I am not sure if following a show I already watched in a weekly basis (I assume Nick will have 1 episode each week) is something I would have the time commitment for. To me the ANN Casts dedicated to old series are more than enough to get my classic fix.

And I am curious, why did you pick Paranoia Agent? It is a strong show, but aren't the old Geneon DVD's the only way to watch it legally?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Almost all of the series I'm interested in are being done weekly. Good to know!
Also, this idea for Anime Classics weekly reviews sounds really interesting. I've been thinking something like this should happen. I'd also been thinking of getting into Paranoia Agent anyway, so this should be interesting. I've heard great things about the show.
And Hope, keep on fighting the good fight! Who knows, Chaos Dragon might get better. I almost feel a little guilty now, secretly hoping you'd get Chaos Dragon weekly simply because of how entertaining your write-up for the first episode was (and your Psycho Pass 2 weekly reviews, which were great popcorn fare). Be careful what you wish for, I guess.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

RestLessone wrote:
Is there a cour cut off rule though? Or would longer series be done in two episode increments?

Multiple episodes (of the same show) a week would be a bit hard on the reviewers, so maybe no cour cutoff?

Ah, you have a point. And that's on top of their other ANN/Internet work, other jobs, and real life. Especially if they're reviewing something like Penguindrum, which shoves so much into a single episode.

Last edited by RestLessone on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I suppose multiple episodes of one show per week could be done on a case-by-case basis depending on what the reviewer's situation is (if they're busy or not) and what kind of show it is (intellectually dense or something fluffy).

No way Penguindrum is going to be two episodes per week, that's for sure.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I am sad to see Rin-ne go. Everything else I really wanted to see got in, though.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
-Koi Kaze: Still so far the only well-done and realistic incest relationship, I think? There's a lot to talk about its framing and characterization from both main and secondary characters, and comparing it with the rest of media.

Ah yes, the "realistic" romance between a 28-year old man lusting after and having a sexual relationship with an inexperienced 14-year old girl that somehow tricks everyone into thinking it was depicting a heartrending romance rather than statutory rape! Though honestly, I kind of wish they'd get someone who'd never seen it before and just let them watch it through, see if they buy the "romance" or are creeped out by it the way I was.

Is that the idea behind the "classic" stream reviews? "Checking out something classic you missed for the first time"? Or will this be "revisiting a series you saw before"? The former would be far more interesting me to than the latter.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:
-Koi Kaze: Still so far the only well-done and realistic incest relationship, I think? There's a lot to talk about its framing and characterization from both main and secondary characters, and comparing it with the rest of media.

Ah yes, the "realistic" romance between a 28-year old man lusting after and having a sexual relationship with an inexperienced 14-year old girl that somehow tricks everyone into thinking it was depicting a heartrending romance rather than statutory rape! Though honestly, I kind of wish they'd get someone who'd never seen it before and just let them watch it through, see if they buy the "romance" or are creeped out by it the way I was.

I haven't seen the show and probably never will, but that actually isn't as taboo in Japan as it is here. The national age of consent there is 13 (although prefectures also have their own) so 14 actually wouldn't be considered statutory rape there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

They were actually 27 and 15 and yes, the way the show depicts drama and the situation WAS very realistic, whether you like it or not.
Their relationship wasn't neither comedic nor glorified, unlike anime usually deal with themes like these.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:

I haven't seen the show and probably never will, but that actually isn't as taboo in Japan as it is here. The national age of consent there is 13 (although prefectures also have their own) so 14 actually wouldn't be considered statutory rape there.

[via: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia#Japan"]
"The Japanese Penal Code sets a minimal age of consent of 13.[37] However, all prefectures and districts have (largely similar) "obscenity ordinances" (淫行条例) that forbid "fornication" (淫行) with anyone under 18 years of age, but exempt sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval).[38]

The age of marriage is 16 for girls and 18 for boys, with parental consent, or 20 otherwise."

That bit of misinformation needs to stop spreading.

Also, I don't are what the legal definition is in your local country, a gap as bigas 28 and 14 is wrong, especially in a series that goes out of its way to depict her as innocent (read: naive and sexually inexperienced compared to him).

But we're derailing things - I'm still more curious how the "classic streaming" is going to work.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Glad chaos dragon got in, I'm still holding hope that they'll decide to go bunker wit hit in response to how terrible the 1st episode was received (I'm assuming it's getting as destroyed in japan than everything I read). Definitely won't be watching it though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Hope got DRRR again... and chaos dragon? Eh I ain't watching it, but maybe I'll read a review out of curiosity. Welp looks like I'm going to have to watch Paranoia agent a lot sooner than I thought I would (which is no problem by me since I like Satoshi Kon).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Hah, why's SMC even there? It's gonna be gone next week forever, and it's not like the reviewer was gonna leave the show hanging after this much commitment.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Is that the idea behind the "classic" stream reviews? "Checking out something classic you missed for the first time"? Or will this be "revisiting a series you saw before"? The former would be far more interesting me to than the latter.

Yup, it's the former! That's why Paranoia Agent was chosen. It's a one-cour classic anime series that Nick hadn't seen before (and he was the best candidate for a free slot this season after we'd assigned most shows.) So there you go! We'll see how it shakes out.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And I am curious, why did you pick Paranoia Agent? It is a strong show, but aren't the old Geneon DVD's the only way to watch it legally?

This is what I was curious about. I would have assumed it would just be an older show that was available for streaming, but that's clearly not the case.
I do like the idea of having more reviews of older shows, so this is cool, not sure how well it'll work, but I will support them as long as they stay interesting. It'll give me a more immediate excuse to actually watch the show, so there's that.

Sorry Hope, I had a feeling you'd end up with Chaos Dragon. I promise my voting for it wasn't a troll. I am sincerely interested in where it goes from here. Maybe it won't totally suck.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Nearly all of the shows I voted for made it in.

I have no interest in Paranoia Agent, but I think classic episode reviews are a great idea and something that would be nice to see regularly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7