• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Full Metal Disorder

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
scineram wrote:
Is this Originality thing some sort of Western cultural fetish?

I wouldn't say it is, but I would say it is part of niche fandom in general.

You're kinder than me; I was going to say "unoriginal" is the Hipster's backup insult when "mainstream" doesn't work.

And it may not be overall western/eastern, but there is a cultural personality split between the USA and Japan. The USA loves inventors and tolerates engineers. Japan is the reverse. (I say that as someone working in production engineering for 20-ish years. Time for belt-tightening around the office? The last thing to go is ... the patent award $$. You'd hate to keep the bonuses for actually getting a functioning product out the door...)

Seriously... if you've had the "Best Selling", "Most-Dependable", "Highest-Rated" pickup truck for 5 or 10 years running, why in Haruhi's name does your TV ad describe this year's model as "The All-New..."? Because you can't sell engineering to an American.

Strangely, the one place we do tolerate a lot of me-too-ism is... popular media. Idol/Voice/etc, CSI: everywhere, auto/bike-shop shows, pawn-shop/pickers/antiques shows... it's hard to find a popular, clone-less show that isn't on premium cable (unless it's too new to take the clones out of the vats yet...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2