• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Asia to Run Dragon Ball Super in English in Mid-2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Why they have still yet to announce that they have it on the other hand, despite dubbing work presumably being over and done with for a while now, is a complete mystery that's presently baffling the fanbase almost as much as the Shrodinger's Cat that is the Ocean dub of Kai.

Most likely because they're waiting until Toonami reaches the end of the Cell arc. Has to be why they have been keeping quiet for so long.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Actually Funimation hasn't Dubbed Buu arc yet so most likely it would end after gohan defeated cell.

They actually have dubbed the Buu arc of Kai, several of the voice actors have confirmed this. It's Funimation's worst-kept secret at the moment.

Why they have still yet to announce that they have it on the other hand, despite dubbing work presumably being over and done with for a while now, is a complete mystery that's presently baffling the fanbase almost as much as the Shrodinger's Cat that is the Ocean dub of Kai. The best guess anyone has at this point is that Funimation has decided to just move forward on Super and leave Buu Kai alone until Toonami catches up in 2017.
I Did not know that thanks for clarifying. Of course the reason could be they haven't gotten the go ahead from there Toei Overlords. Confused
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
I prefer the BRITISH dub!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrWPG3l3l2Y
lol

Seriously though, great that fans are getting an English dub!
jacksonh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm fussy over details (unless I'm not seeing the actual word "dub") but could "English-language" still apply to English subtitled?

It hasn't been legally streamed in English so a broadcast of the English sub could still be accurate as a "English-language world premiere"

Or maybe it is a Malaysian English dub (I feel sorry for the actors already...) or maybe whatever company hired Ocean Productions to do that alternate dub for Kai (which took a ridiculous amount of time to release) wanted to one-up FUNimation and dub Super asap.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
jacksonh wrote:
Maybe I'm fussy over details (unless I'm not seeing the actual word "dub") but could "English-language" still apply to English subtitled?

Toonami Asia doesn't have any subtitled programs, at least on the feed I get. Everything was either in English to begin with (American superhero cartoons, mostly) or it got dubbed.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me why something as international marketable as the NEW DBZ was incapable of airing within the week of the Japanese release on US (or German) free TV. Exceptionaly complex games as Fallout 4 are release day and date around the globe, big US cable shows started to become available in a dubbed form on premium German cable about 2 years ago and so on. The children in my library started to pirate DBS around the day of release and i even had a random conversation with a bunch of teenagers on a train last week who are also watching via fan subs. They couldn´t speak proper German but they were watching an anime in Japanese! The demand for the show is that high. Who exactly dropped the ball here as they are leaving a ton of money on the table? All these millions of potential Youtube-clicks (or whatever) will continue to watch the show but they are not coming back for the official release...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
The lack of an announcement of Dragon Ball Super being acquired for an English dub by Funimation is quite interesting. Many people are curious about what's going on behind the scenes because most would assume a Funimation dub is inevitable.

I know there are plenty of English speakers in Asian markets, but it's still ironic that Asia is receiving English before majority English speaking areas.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
I'll take any language dub that doesn't have Goku, Gohan, Goten, Krillin, and Yajrobi don't sound like girls, even without subs than watch anything with the Dragon Ball title on it in Japanese.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Yikes why do i got ugh feeling this might be using same dubbing from animax dub version.

Yea i heard some animax dub anime of some series yet if db super get that so avoid it.

Indeed give i have dub standare too besides so better wait from us dub version so more creative to hear.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
Since it's an Asian dub, it's probably gonna be garbage.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Pan being born (GT now Canon?)

She was in the final chapters of the manga...

If anything, Super seems to confirm GT as being non-canon. In Super, Goku has already achieved a form in Super that's higher than Super Sayian 4, but in GT SS4 is treated like the strongest form anyone could reach. GT also tells us that the world was at peace for about ten years after Buu's defeat, but that's clearly not true in Super, where a stronger enemy shows up just six months later.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
FUNIMATION times Infinity!
Hopefully Toonami (America) will air Dragon Ball Super here as well PLEASE GOD let it be so. Cool
Dragon Ball Z Kai is only half-way done on Toonami. They haven't even started the Buu saga yet.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Given the poor quality of Asian-English dubs, it would be in the best interest (not only to the broadcasters, but to the ears of the viewers) to use the Funimation cast. The dub used to suck but now it is far better than the Japanese version is most ways. Sean Schemmel is the definitive Goku. Chris Sabat is the definitive Vegeta. Jason Douglas is the definitive Beerus.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Can someone explain to me why something as international marketable as the NEW DBZ was incapable of airing within the week of the Japanese release on US (or German) free TV.

You do know that anime isn't particularly all that popular in certain parts of the world right?

And that English or foreign dubs still being produced behind the Japanese dub is still pretty normal even with the advent of simulcasts.

Wyvern wrote:

If anything, Super seems to confirm GT as being non-canon. In Super, Goku has already achieved a form in Super that's higher than Super Sayian 4, but in GT SS4 is treated like the strongest form anyone could reach. GT also tells us that the world was at peace for about ten years after Buu's defeat, but that's clearly not true in Super, where a stronger enemy shows up just six months later.

GT was never canon outside of the video games which are the only thing GT hasn't been expunged from.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Apparently Toonami Asia has aired the FUNimation dubs of DBZ and DBZ Kai, so you never know. O.o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3