• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's Akiyuki Simbo Helms March comes in like a lion Anime at Shaft Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
this is gonna be great! SHAFT are one of the studios that are phenomenal at portraying emotion, and i hear that this is rather emotional is great!

reading the comments I understand there worries . but I'm gonna be honest with you all about some stuff.
1 - there will absolutely be head tilting and text in this, that's just Shinbo's style.
2 - ye guys need to realise that this could mean Tatsuya Oya (SHAFT'S best animator and series director) could very well be the series director for this.
3 - they have always had a focus on 'wierd' otaku centred anime. but they are also the same studio that brought out Ef.
4 - if they don't use their unique style people give out. if they do use their style the same people give out. which one do you want?! Shaft are known for being unique. imo being so 'out there' is much better than being just an everyday studio.
And finally.... about monogatari, I'm gonna admit I'm a fanboy, but I do think everybody should give it a go, by the time you get to the end of Second Season ye will understand that this series isn't boring, and accept it for what it really is, a phenomenal piece of entertainment that can keep you incredibly entertained and blow your mind when the entire 50 minute episode consists of 2 people talking in a classroom.

To be honest. I was excited for this, now hearing shaft are doing it, I'm already in the manga neck deep. Shinbo is fantastic in bringing out the soul in a series in creative ways, and if Oya is indeed going to be Series Director...... this very well could be anime of the year contender
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
Rather disappointed but of course I'll still check it out. Would have much preferred Kenichi Kasai return to the director's chair since he did such a wonderful job with the first TV anime of Umino's Honey & Clover.
laceblade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
I had no idea they were making an anime adaptation for this series, very exciting!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
From the same mangaka who made Honey + Clover? The "Oh, I'm in love but am I in love enough? How do I compare to my peers? Oh I know, I'll go on a cycling tour to find out!" Honey and Clover?

Quote:
Genres: drama, psychological, tournament
Themes: depression, loneliness, orphan, shogi

Ok, that answers that question.... except for the tournament thing. Is it when the depression thing stalls, they play shogi or is the shogi there to break up the bouts of depression?

I don't loathe Honey + Clover as much as Bunny Drop for exactly the same reasons, if only because one series implies... though once I heard how excited he was that he was "chosen", I'd call the cops myself... while the other drew me several burned into my mind images.

Why do I bring this up? That image there. I'm sure it's a hundred percent innocent but I remember when Honey + Clover was innocent...

I ended on "What is wrong with these people?"

Could be a perfect fit with Shaft as I occasion think the same thing about them, only in a positive way. Usually.

I mean, I've ceased counting the number of shows they focus on underaged lolis, oh look, two more...
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Outside of people whose posting and genuineness I take with the utmost grain of salt I have not seen a single person that seems happy about this announcement and the studio choice and they've given many IMO plausible and valid justifications as too why. Normally I would suggest giving anything a chance first, but as far as reasons for apprehension go I can totally see why people would be in this case. SHAFT and especially Shinbo and his clones at other studios now are all about the directorial exhibitionism and antics first and foremost as well as catering to a very specific type of demographic and putting their own style ahead of source material which this manga does not seem it will fit the bill for at all. Quite the opposite.

Only SHAFT die-hard fanboys and Monogatari fans seem particularly happy about this so that says a lot to me.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Not my pick at all, but maybe Shinbo is just wanting to try something different.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Outside of people whose posting and genuineness I take with the utmost grain of salt I have not seen a single person that seems happy about this announcement and the studio choice and they've given many IMO plausible and valid justifications as too why. Normally I would suggest giving anything a chance first, but as far as reasons for apprehension go I can totally see why people would be in this case. SHAFT and especially Shinbo and his clones at other studios now are all about the directorial exhibitionism and antics first and foremost as well as catering to a very specific type of demographic and putting their own style ahead of source material which this manga does not seem it will fit the bill for at all. Quite the opposite.

I think your wrong with that. A director with confidence is a good thing.
Tetsuya Oya, one of Shinbo's 'clones' spent 5 years working on a single production to make, what looks like, SHAFT's best work to date. If that is antics then all the other directors in the anime industry aren't much better i'm afraid.
SHAFT do cater to a particular type of audience, because they have what 99% of studios lack, a STYLE, a STYLE THAT PEOPLE LOVE. They are known for being wacky and unique, and what's so bad with that? I've already read about 5 chapters of this series and SHAFT can perfect it. Absolutely perfect it. Text on the screen? So what? Head tilt? So fudging what? Random colours all over the place? Welcome to the artsy side of animation my friend. This is an art medium, you know that right? Its an art medium, not a story telling medium.
As for the source material and style you mentioned. I believe they do the right thing with that. People's perception of anime these days is that a series 'gotta be adaptation before being an anime'. That's not how it should be. This will be a SHAFT anime, first and foremost, then an adaptation.
I respect your opinion but the way you said it was like SHAFT and Shinbo aren't capable of this series, That they will ruin it. That is bull.

SHAFT are a fantastic studio for doing creative art and animation and Shinbo is a genius director if ye think outside the box and actually look at his stuff. Its insane.

Now do bear in mind this is from the perspective of a passionate animator, so I see animation much differently, but I prefer to have enjoyment then a faithfully adapted boring piece of crap like the crazy amount of 'hits' i've dropped over the years.

SHAFT have so much passion in them its unreal. And seeing how people are treating them on here makes my blood boil, ye have no idea how truly good the SHAFT style actually is. And its genuinely upsetting.

Well, I guess I can look forward to ye whining about the series when it comes out while i'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Sorry about being so aggressive. But it annoys me how everyone complains about anime that are the exact same, yet when a company is completely unique ye complain that they are 'too unique'. Its annoying. Most of this comment is general by the way, but reading your comment flicked the switch

I'm gonna place my bet right now, this will be an anime of the year contender, now lets see.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

I think your wrong with that. A director with confidence is a good thing.
Tetsuya Oya, one of Shinbo's 'clones' spent 5 years working on a single production to make, what looks like, SHAFT's best work to date. If that is antics then all the other directors in the anime industry aren't much better i'm afraid.
SHAFT do cater to a particular type of audience, because they have what 99% of studios lack, a STYLE, a STYLE THAT PEOPLE LOVE. They are known for being wacky and unique, and what's so bad with that? I've already read about 5 chapters of this series and SHAFT can perfect it. Absolutely perfect it. Text on the screen? So what? Head tilt? So fudging what? Random colours all over the place? Welcome to the artsy side of animation my friend. This is an art medium, you know that right? Its an art medium, not a story telling medium.
As for the source material and style you mentioned. I believe they do the right thing with that. People's perception of anime these days is that a series 'gotta be adaptation before being an anime'. That's not how it should be. This will be a SHAFT anime, first and foremost, then an adaptation.
I respect your opinion but the way you said it was like SHAFT and Shinbo aren't capable of this series, That they will ruin it. That is bull.

SHAFT are a fantastic studio for doing creative art and animation and Shinbo is a genius director if ye think outside the box and actually look at his stuff. Its insane.

Now do bear in mind this is from the perspective of a passionate animator, so I see animation much differently, but I prefer to have enjoyment then a faithfully adapted boring piece of crap like the crazy amount of 'hits' i've dropped over the years.

SHAFT have so much passion in them its unreal. And seeing how people are treating them on here makes my blood boil, ye have no idea how truly good the SHAFT style actually is. And its genuinely upsetting.

Well, I guess I can look forward to ye whining about the series when it comes out while i'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Sorry about being so aggressive. But it annoys me how everyone complains about anime that are the exact same, yet when a company is completely unique ye complain that they are 'too unique'. Its annoying. Most of this comment is general by the way, but reading your comment flicked the switch

I'm gonna place my bet right now, this will be an anime of the year contender, now lets see.

Yikes so much hyperbole, but kind of not surprising. You know what I've heard people hammer all these points multiple times over and over in the past in support of SHAFT on many a thing and all I can say yet again is that I think you'll find a lot of differing opinions on whether SHAFT is in fact a unique studio these days and whether that's necessarily always a universally good thing for an adaptation. I know of plenty of people that do not like their style as well as many people that seem to swear by it so again they're a very polarizing studio. I just wish people would understand how/why people could not like a studio like SHAFT for every single project. I could not possibly agree less with anything you actually said thinking it's quite the opposite, but there you go, VERY polarizing studio.

Again there seem to be two very distinct camps on this one that aren't very surprising to see. Fans of the source that praise it as a manga are highly skeptical about the studio choice for adaptation, or fans of Shafts style that don't necessarily seem to care at all about the source material so much as just supporting and praising SHAFT, Shinbo and their style. It's going to be a very interesting mix of opinions once this show airs and I can easily envision source and studio/director fans clashing on a series like never before.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Much like Nisekoi, this doesn't really seem the kind of series that will work with Shimbo's style. I'm looking forward to this because I'm interested in the shogi, but I'm not too excited about having Shaft do it
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote

...You know what I've heard people hammer all these points multiple times over and over in the past in support of SHAFT on many a thing and all I can say yet again is that I think you'll find a lot of differing opinions on whether SHAFT is in fact a unique studio these days and whether that's necessarily always a universally good thing for an adaptation. [...] I just wish people would understand how/why people could not like a studio like SHAFT for every single project. I could not possibly agree less with anything you actually said thinking it's quite the opposite, but there you go, VERY polarizing studio.

Again there seem to be two very distinct camps on this one that aren't very surprising to see. Fans of the source that praise it as a manga are highly skeptical about the studio choice for adaptation, or fans of Shafts style that don't necessarily seem to care at all about the source material so much as just supporting and praising SHAFT, Shinbo and their style.

You've nailed the exact problems I have with this announcement.

SHAFT's style is not a "one size fits all" form of artistic flair. I can't even call it an animation style since most of the series that I have seen will typically have the characters remain still with random edits of text or playing with shadows/highlights or, in Madoka's case, an overload of whimsical patterns/textures splashed around.

My problem is that not every single show or genre needs this excessive amount of gimmicky visual shortcuts to tell a good story. CrowLia pointed out Nisekoi and I firmly agree that the series would have been more tolerable as a J.C. Staff adaptation since it was primarily a straight forward rom-com. All the excessive amount of edits, weird camera angels, and odd comedic timing distracted me from appreciating the actual series itself.

When watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Arakawa Under The Bridge, I often asked myself "Would this still be interesting if another studio handled the project? Am I enjoying it because the whole package or simply because it looks super stylish as a way to compensate for lack of restraint and save money with still frames?" I like different art styles in anime but, it has to match the overall tone of the story and themes otherwise it will clash.

This pairing of Umino's manga with Simbo's direction gives me the polar opposite reaction with KyoAni tackling Silent Voice only because KyoAni has proven capable of handling somber tones and angst. Here? There's nothing about SHAFT that says they can handle subtlety like the way shows from other studios like J.C. Staff, Brains Base, or even A-1 Pictures. Yes, the director and writing team are just as important as the animators or artists but, fans of the manga have legitimate reasons to feel worried about this choice of studio.

I'll still watch it hoping it will succeed but, my expectations have been lowered.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

This pairing of Umino's manga with Simbo's direction gives me the polar opposite reaction with KyoAni tackling Silent Voice only because KyoAni has proven capable of handling somber tones and angst. Here? There's nothing about SHAFT that says they can handle subtlety like the way shows from other studios like J.C. Staff, Brains Base, or even A-1 Pictures. Yes, the director and writing team are just as important as the animators or artists but, fans of the manga have legitimate reasons to feel worried about this choice of studio.

I'll still watch it hoping it will succeed but, my expectations have been lowered.

I fully agree with most of your comment, but this part, I wanted to address, because I think that you are underselling SHAFT's talent. They have a unique visual style, but not all of their shows look as absurd as The Monogatari series, and many of their shows deal with somber tones and angst with plenty of emotional subtlety. I am not sold on this combination, but I've seen SHAFT make things like ef: Tale of Memories and Melodies, so I believe that they have the versatility. Shinbo is a smart guy, I highly doubt that he will try to infuse inappropriate visual gimmicks into this show.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
One ep of Nisekoi was enough for me to say "NOPE" for watching the rest of the series, everything was so overdone/directed that yeah it distracted me from being able to enjoy the series. To think that March Comes like a Lion will go through a similar style is heart breaking. Such a shame a great manga will be adapted with a style like that. sigh
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One ep of Nisekoi was enough for me to say "NOPE" for watching the rest of the series, everything was so overdone/directed that yeah it distracted me from being able to enjoy the series.

Same the style just didn't fit at all. All it was just flashy showing off to me at least. I will try March comes like a Lion just because I was interested in for a while now
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08: I've looked at the ef:Tale of Memories and Melodies credits and I agree the series doesn't appear nearly as crazy as Shinbo's works. However, it has a totally different director: Shin Oonuma. Other than Watamote, I am not familiar with Oonuma's work but, I've seen enough of Shinbo's (Simbo?) most popular works to mentally prepare myself.

Will Shinbo actually utilize his gimmicks for the series? I think he will; Shinbo has no reason to change the formula that has placed Studio SHAFT as the new pinnacle of otaku fandom. Who knows, perhaps the buzz will prompt Viz Media or Yen Press to finally licence 3-Gatsu no Lion in the US. *crosses fingers*

$20 that Hiroshi Kamiya voices either Rei or Harunobu. Hope it's the latter since Kamiya's laughter matches Harunobu's personailty.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
@relyat08: I've looked at the ef:Tale of Memories and Melodies credits and I agree the series doesn't appear nearly as crazy as Shinbo's works. However, it has a totally different director: Shin Oonuma. Other than Watamote, I am not familiar with Oonuma's work but, I've seen enough of Shinbo's (Simbo?) most popular works to mentally prepare myself.
Shin Oonuma is like a tamer version of Shinbo. Baka and Test, Dusk Maiden, Watamote and this season's Chivalry of Failed Knight(especially the last episodes) have weird colors and changing art styles, but they are a lot more restrained than Shinbo's Shaft works. I actually prefer Oonuma, as most of Shaft's works are too much for me. Monogatari's talking bores me, Arakawa, Maria Holic and Zetsubou are alright but a lot of the humor doesn't click with me (and some of the bg music in Arakawa really irritates me), Madoka was okay (I prefer Yuki Yuna for dark magical girls though), and the first episodes of Moon Phase and Dance in Vampire were okay, though I didn't bother continuing to watch more. I haven't read this manga, but from what I've heard it doesn't sound like something that fits Shaft (same with Nisekoi). I wasn't really interested in it in the first place, but this announcement means I won't watch it. Hopefully it turns out okay, but this seems like a really strange director and studio choice. (I was expecting IG, Brains Base, JC Staff, even Madhouse)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3