• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside Out, 'Bear Story' Win Animated Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm always rooting for a non-3D film to win. That's only happened once with Spirited Away.

If, by "non-3D", you mean non-CGI, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit also counts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
And I'll also say that, while there were other great animated films released over 2015, Inside Out was incredible and deserved that win. I would've been surprised if anything else had won.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Shrek, Wallace & Gromit, Happy Feet, and Rambo are the only non-Disney films to win the award. Monsters Inc and Cars are the only Pixar films to be nominated and NOT win. It is a little ridiculous...

There was an animated Rambo?

Oh, do you mean Rango? That was a weird win...but in hindsight, not that surprising, as it was a love letter to movies. That sort of film get the advantage, like with Hugo or The Artist.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
I think Rango also won because 2011 was arguably the weakest year for animated films since the inception of the Best Animated Feature Oscar and the other "contender", The Adventures of Tintin: the Secret of the Unicorn, wasn't even eligible under Oscar rules because it used too much motion capture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Shrek, Wallace & Gromit, Happy Feet, and Rambo are the only non-Disney films to win the award. Monsters Inc and Cars are the only Pixar films to be nominated and NOT win. It is a little ridiculous...

There was an animated Rambo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLop82LjV48

Not a movie, but still, animated Rambo.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
Heh, at least they actually took some effort to highlight the Best Animated Shorts and Features presentations, and in the midpoint mark of the Ceremonies too, not just as also-rans at the very beginning.

For those interested, here's someone's rankings for all the 57 films that were nominated:

Oscars 2016: every movie nominated for an Academy Award, ranked

Yes, even Fifty Shades of Grey.
(Yes, Fifty Shades of Grey is nominated for an Oscar.)

And yes, 'Fifty Shades' dominated the Razzies with 5 awards the day before.

Also, Alicia Vikander won for Danish Girl, but people wished she would've won it for Ex Machina instead. For those wondering what that is, it's another sexualized android (sound familiar?):

Lastly, here was the Oscar Week 2016: Feature Animation stage interview for When Marnie Was There's director Hiromasa Yonebayashi and producer Yoshiaki Nishimura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlH2r9N1ld0#t=4085
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
This year, we didn't have a disappointingly overrated sequel to "How to Train Your Dragon," so nobody is going to whine about Disney winning this year. I'm sorry, but HTTYD2 sucked compared to the first movie, so I'm glad BH6 beat it. Honestly, people were way too hard on BH6 because it wasn't "Frozen." They treat it like a 90-minute toy commercial even though that movie handled the subject of grief and depression better than "Frozen" and HTTYD2.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Anomalisa was the best animated film among the selection but Inside Out´s win was a lock and is fine with me. The Dvd short Riley's First Date is better than the main film.
I was also 100% convinced that The Big Short would win but the equally fine "topic film" Spotlight won. Eh. HBO´s Emmy winning documentary Mea Maxima Culpa is a better exploration of the topic. Poor George Miller btw. 6 Oscars but all for unimportant categories but i am at least glad that Man vs Bear didn´t win Best Picture. It´s Iñárritu "worst" by far. Ex Machina´s effects Oscar is an interesting choice too and i am now off to figure out how to watch the Best Foreign Language Film Son of Saul. It´s a POV Auschwitz film. Fun! Next year´s selection is destined to be more interesting due to the desperately needed reforms and so was last year´s.
@enurtsol Twilight after Dark was indeed up for an Oscar (in a trashy category) but it at least managed to "win" big at the Razzies Smile. The Razzie Redeemer Award is always my favorite. AAADRIIAANNN the Oscars snubbed me!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yes, even Fifty Shades of Grey.
(Yes, Fifty Shades of Grey is nominated for an Oscar.) [/i]

And yes, 'Fifty Shades' dominated the Razzies with 5 awards the day before.
In its defence, Best Original Song is a very different category.

Animeking1108 wrote:
This year, we didn't have a disappointingly overrated sequel to "How to Train Your Dragon," so nobody is going to whine about Disney winning this year. I'm sorry, but HTTYD2 sucked compared to the first movie, so I'm glad BH6 beat it. Honestly, people were way too hard on BH6 because it wasn't "Frozen." They treat it like a 90-minute toy commercial even though that movie handled the subject of grief and depression better than "Frozen" and HTTYD2.
No, How to Train Your Dragon 2 might have lacked the heart and flow of the original but it never felt manipulative and stuck to its guns. This is something that Big Hero 6 failed at constantly.

In other news, DiCaprio finally did it!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Sorry I did mean Rango...

EricJ2 wrote:
It's 2008 (and Wall-E) all over again:
Inside Out winning Best Animated was losing Best Picture--It's an insult. Evil or Very Mad

WALL-E wasn't nominated for Best Pic, and neither was Inside Out. UP and Toy Story 3 were nominated for that. Inside Out was nominated for Best Original Screenplay though, and it had no chance against Spotlight.
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
I could have guessed Inside Out would win, but personally I thought Shaun the Sheep and Minions were better.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm always rooting for a non-3D film to win. That's only happened once with Spirited Away.

Outside of anime are there any 2D movies being made anymore?

It does seem like Disney always wins though. Maybe someone should start #OscarsSoDisney.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Galap wrote:

Outside the U.S., sure. For instance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urduja_%28film%29

CGI basically takes a lot of money for the render farms, whereas hand-drawn animation might actually be more cost-effective in countries with cheap yet skilled labor.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Galap wrote:

It does seem like Disney always wins though. Maybe someone should start #OscarsSoDisney.

Outside of BH6 and Frozen, name me ONE Disney movie that has won the Oscar. You can't. BTW, Pixar is separate in studio terms. If Pixar counts as Disney, then Ghibli counts as Disney and Toho. Ghost in the Shell counts as Bandai Visual and Manga Entertainment.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I think Rango also won because 2011 was arguably the weakest year for animated films since the inception of the Best Animated Feature Oscar and the other "contender", The Adventures of Tintin: the Secret of the Unicorn, wasn't even eligible under Oscar rules because it used too much motion capture.

There were no Disney OR Pixar films that year (Pixar's was Cars 2), it was up against two Dreamworks films and two art films, and the animation voters were gushing over how technically "photorealistic" ILM's Rango animation was--
Even though the script was technically Gore Verbinski trying to see how many smug-weirdo Western mumbo-jumbo ideas he could first draft for The Lone Ranger two years later.

It was quite literally all we had that year, unless you wanted to give it to A Cat in Paris or Kung Fu Panda 2.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
It's 2008 (and Wall-E) all over again:
Inside Out winning Best Animated was losing Best Picture--It's an insult. Evil or Very Mad

WALL-E wasn't nominated for Best Pic, and neither was Inside Out. UP and Toy Story 3 were nominated for that. Inside Out was nominated for Best Original Screenplay though, and it had no chance against Spotlight.

Well, that's just it, y'see:
ONE of the reasons we got the 8-10 Nomination rule after '08 (whiny Dark Knight fans being the other Rolling Eyes ) was the outrage over why Wall-E had to be "exiled" to its usual walkaway win in Best Animated, when most believed it could have beaten the pants off of Slumdog Millionaire in a fair Best Picture fight.

The Academy had created the Best Animated Feature category in '01 literally to shut up the fans who wanted another Beauty & the Beast to happen, and all the Pixar fans who wanted to avenge Toy Story 2 not being nominated, by saying that if BAF was created, animated films would not be eligible for Picture.
After the Wall-E outrage, the multi-nomination rule allowed voters to include animated films in their votes--and Up and TS3 made the grade--but after last year's "Who ever heard of Birdman?" disaster, the Academy announced they would plan to restore Best Picture to five nominees again.

Then, in fall, they reversed their stand, and said that they would go with 8-10 nominations for one more year, and consider the change for '16-'17.
Gee, I wonder what happened over summer to change their minds about animated Best Picture-voting rules? Cool
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Do you mean to suggest—as shockingly invective as it may be to even mention this—that the academy could be likened to a self-perpetuating echo chamber, left to reverberate for many decades in the bliss of its own congratulation? Heaven forbid the notion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4