• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Casts Aaron Dismuke as Van

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm tolerable for Aaron Dismuke (Wasn't okay with his child acting work compared to ADV's cast of them, but okay with him now). Lil worried on Sonny Strait even though he is a swell guy capable of debating with people like myself on his past work and performances.

lazydude500 wrote:
Rage of Bahamut Genesis dub (so far): nothing special
What a shame. I wanted the to support the series wholeheartedly hopping it will get a good dub cause of the shows fun quality. I'll still get it, but still a shame.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Never seen this series but plan to but the CE and looking forward to hearing Funi's dub of it Anime smile

lazydude500 wrote:
Lupin III dubs: so-so
Maria the Virgin Witch dub: not good
Mikagura School Suite dub: sub-par
Prison School dub: terrible
Rage of Bahamut Genesis dub (so far): nothing special

Chances of a good re-dub: Extremely slim...

Even if it somehow ends up being very poor (with Strait he has yet to prove he can direct a good dub; average is considered "the best" he's currently capable of atm) Funimation probably doesn't care. They didn't have to spend a single buck. Laughing

He may not have been the lead director but he was still the assistant director for both the Full Metal Alchemist and Ouran Host Club dubs and both are widely regarded as being excellent. I haven't heard much of the Prison school dub as I'm waiting for the blurays but what little I've heard of it sounded fine enough to me outside of the controversial change that I understand why others may be upset but I also doubt Funi would let something like that happen again.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
shellysunfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The worse case is I don't like the new dub, and can still watch it in Japanese. So I'm all good! Very Happy
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I can't say that I didn't see this one coming I knew that Funimation was most likely going to dub in-house but as for the new dub I won't judge it until I actually watch it who knows it might actually be better than the original. Cool
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
I'm not surprised to be honest. Chances are even if FUNimation wanted to, they wouldn't be able to get all the original voice actors back together again. And besides, I don't recall FUNimation outsourcing any of their recent acquisitions to Canada as of late. Though I could be mistaken.

Much of the original Escaflowne dub's cast are still active. The leads certainly are.

As for the second part, Kingdom's dub was recorded in Calgary and Funimation just released that. However, given how secretive they were about that show it may not have been a dub they paid for.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I'm not going to make any judgement on it until I hear the final product but this is pretty sad news, mainly because its the second time Funi's screwed over a Canadian dub but I guess this is at least better than Shana where they only dubbed Season 2+3 and the movie, leaving only Season 1 with the Ocean dub which lead to some pretty fierce whiplash as some performances were VASTLY different in that one.

Third. Funimation's entire internal voice acting business started because recording DBZ in Vancouver was more than they were willing to spend.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I can see it working, Aaron still has a very youthful tone to his voice (even after puberty) and has proven to be a very credible voice actor. But I agree with Penguintruth on this one; it's hard for me to put him in the same tier as Kirby Morrow who did a very well rounded performance.

Hell, just listening back to the original dub is gonna make me miss some of the appropriately cast voices. While I can criticize that they are often times too large and grandiose to the point of cheesiness, Ocean always had a clear, distinct way of dubbing shows. You'll hardly ever misunderstand what they are saying because the actor's diction and clarity behind the mic are second to none. Plus their "large, grandiose" voice acting evoked a Shakespearean type of quality that honestly worked pretty well for Escaflowne more than some of their other dubs.

To give some perspective, I'm not even giving high praise for the old dub based off of nostalgia either. I've only watched it for the first time a few years back through my girlfriend, long after the edited TV airing. But it was serviceable enough to make me feel it was one of the better dubs Ocean produced, especially for it's time. I'm confident Funimation will give it a good modern redub, but they seriously have to knock it out of the park to impress me. It ought to make for interesting comparisons if anything else (do you hear me Behind the Voice Actors website? I'd hop to it once it's out!).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
So it means each ten thousand will go to that voice actor?

Seriously... wait, they're going to keep the old dub around for the movie but only for the collector's edition DVD copy... because we all know these things can't have multiple audio tracks... while the old dub for the TV series will still remain a kickstarter only bonus. Clear as mud.

Are they going to be holding other shows for ransom or will it be just this one?

"Working closely with Japanese studios". I can just imagine the price on the collector's edition now. Actually, I don't really have to as I expect the 150 price tag for it and even then, you won't get the original dub.

They're doing everything but the right thing. Why is that?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much of an opinion on the old dub since I've hardly seen Esclaflowne in the first place, but I'm surprised people are as fond of it as they are. There are some dubs anime fans respect and gush over ad-nauseam and then a bunch of other dubs people don't feel compelled to talk about much. From my impression, the old Escaflowne dub seems to be in the latter category. Even in the few in-depth discussions about Escaflowne I've seen, it doesn't get mentioned.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Funimation might get Scott McNeil at least. Maybe. If I'm lucky.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
^Don't count on it, the few times that Scott worked on a FUNi dub was when Mike McFarland was director (the guy has connections) and last I checked, he hasn't been in anything since One Piece Strong World.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
I don't have much of an opinion on the old dub since I've hardly seen Esclaflowne in the first place, but I'm surprised people are as fond of it as they are. There are some dubs anime fans respect and gush over ad-nauseam and then a bunch of other dubs people don't feel compelled to talk about much. From my impression, the old Escaflowne dub seems to be in the latter category. Even in the few in-depth discussions about Escaflowne I've seen, it doesn't get mentioned.

I feel that the series as a whole seems to be less talked about than some of Sunrise's other works, but does get a fair amount of praise when it does. As for the original dub, I'm not going to sit here and say it was absolutely fantastic by any means as well. It was plenty serviceable though and it included an accurate script. It also came at a time when dubs were only starting to become good, so even being a "better than average" dub was miles ahead of the curve. It's just a typical Ocean dub of the time. It's got it's fair share of problems and questionable direction but it worked. I only feel it's getting mixed reactions from this redub because to many like me, it wasn't in desperate need of one.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Glad Aaron got (I'm assuming) a lead role! Always happy to see his name in credits honestly Smile I've never watched this show before so I think I'll give it a try if I can.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Gee, I didn't know the Lonely Island guys were fans of Escaflowne. Rolling Eyes Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
I got my hopes up for a post-2010 Ocean Group dub because Funimation was so hush-hush about the details until now. I was sure that they were going to do something that would surprise us. I guess I was wrong. Aaron Dismuke getting a starring role isn't that impressive, Funimation. These new goals aren't really worth knowing something that will be public knowledge anyway a few months ahead of time.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Insanely curious why they had to run the Kickstarter in the first place if they were simply going to do it internally.

Well, at least in theory, they did the kickstarter more to gauge interest than to fund anything. And they certainly wouldn't want to be doing a release as fancy as they're planning if it weren't going to sell well. Doing the kickstarter funds at least some of that, and if it had bombed, they would know that it wouldn't be smart to do a fancy release and maybe would even just go sub-only if they really didn't think that it would do well based on the feedback they got from the kickstarter. So, if the kickstarter was to fund anything, it was the fancy packaging and extras and whatnot that they wouldn't normally do. So, all around, this kickstarter is a bit weird, but it does provide a nice opportunity for fans of the series to pick up some nice perks (like the soundtrack) which presumably won't be available later.

As for the dub, it's a shame that they won't keep the original actors, but there probably was never much chance of that. As I understand it, Ocean Studios doesn't really exist anymore, so outsourcing to them wouldn't work, and even if Funimation could get the old actors, bringing them all in would likely be prohibitively expensive - especially for an older series that was previously released in the US market. Actually, the fact that they're going this far for such an old series that's already been released in the US market is pretty amazing. Usually, we'd be extremely lucky for it to even get a sub-only Blu-ray release, let alone a new dub with fancy packaging and extras.

Most series that get re-released on Blu-ray in Japan never get that here, and a number of series that were initially released as DVD-only here even though there was a Japanese Blu-ray release have never gotten a Blu-ray release here. So, any time that we get a Blu-ray release for a title that didn't get such a release previously is fantastic news, and getting a new dub when the old dub wouldn't work anymore is just amazing. Even if it's not exactly what many fans might want, it's way better than we typically get for a series like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5