• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation VR Headset Debuts in October for US$399

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
I have noticed that alot of folks(not here on ANN but in general) think that all of VR is priced to high. While I would not call it cheap by any means I also don't think this first shot at VR is aimed at most of us. This is for the early adopters not for the average joe.

What I mean is that I think the target here is people who already own a PS4 or already own a beefy PC rig and would not have to consider buying those machines from the start. I expect in a few years time assuming VR does not fail that we will see far cheaper headsets that are more mass market friendly then what we are getting now. Even further down the line we may see headsets that do not require a console or PC to work.

As with pretty much all tech it starts of really expensive and gets cheaper. Think blu-ray for example. Players used to cost hundreds of dollars and now you can get one dirt cheap. I would imagine 3-5 years from now we will see the same for VR and that is the time I am more excited for.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
As with pretty much all tech it starts of really expensive and gets cheaper. Think blu-ray for example. Players used to cost hundreds of dollars and now you can get one dirt cheap. I would imagine 3-5 years from now we will see the same for VR and that is the time I am more excited for.

Yeah, I read some old magazines from 2007 and the advertised local price for a stand-alone Sony Blu-ray player was nearly 65,000 pesos. Four years ago my Samsung BD player only cost about 7,000. Heck, Sony Philippines was even giving away the PS3 slim to people buying their HDTVs by 2013 (if not earlier)!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to ignore that I paid $400 for my PS4, and this also requires a camera and potentially a Move controller, so it would end up costing more than a brand new console. I'm not saying it is completely priced out for me, but that does mean I'm expecting it to have its own games that are more than glorified tech demos, and it would have to add something meaningful to regular games that support it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
VR headsets may go the way of Kinect

It's already sold out on Amazon. Hype for this thing is very real.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
VR headsets may go the way of Kinect

It's already sold out on Amazon. Hype for this thing is very real.

That's kind of a meaningless metric given there's no number attached to it. For all we know Sony allocated 10 units to Amazon precisely for the good publicity of "Sold out immediately!!!" articles. Even if it was a sizeable number, the kind of person who's F5ing Amazon all day to preorder a VR headset isn't the type of person VR needs to be mainstream.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The first run of VR will not be aimed at the mainstream, but the enthusiast market.

It'll follow an adoption curve similar to that of cellphones.

Look at the first smartphones and the cost, and compare that to smartphones today.

While VR will not be a necessity on par with a phone, the adoption curve will be similar.

Later headsets will be of better quality, cost less, and computing power will also pick up to produce better looking stuff, and as developers work out the kinks and more well designed software comes out, we'll just wake up one day and realize we're already living in a world where this stuff is a norm.

It's inevitable that even Sony will be making general-use VR headsets outside of the PlayStation in due time.

There's purposes for medical, military, architecture, travel, real estate, social, rehabilitation, etc.

I say this even though I think PSVR is currently priced out of my reach and I've used the device and Oculus and still feel it needs some more time until it matches my needs - complete wrap-around field of view, no screen-door/pixelation effect with 4-8K screens, full HD clarity.

The current devices are still fun, but I wouldn't personally pay the current asking price for them. However when VR eventually meets my expectations above I'd likely even pay more for it!

And given Sony intends PSVR as a platform, it'll eventually come down in price just like their consoles, so if you can't hop in now, wait until it's $199 in a few years or something. Though by then there'll probably be a next-gen version that's better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2